Brass Monkey Fridge Review

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
condor22 said:
RR Your van might be great for Pomland, but it looks a little low, for a lot of the bush bashing we do over here. I'd be worried about gravel rash on the a**e. :) However, the economy is great and given our distances a great thing to achieve. My home away from home weighs 1800kg, so I need an efficient and economical tug to move it.

I'm looking at a new ride later this year, the one I'm favouring is the Mitsubishi Pajero Sport and before you tell me lol, my sister (lives in U.K.) reminded me of the Spanish translation of the word Pajero. For those that don't know it's slang in Spanish for w****r - fill in the blanks, I don't want to raise the ire of Jaros, lol.

The biggest issue with a new car at the moment, it's a 6 month order wait due to Covid and microchip shortages. Which in turn reduces the bargain chip with dealers.

I have a few reasons for this choice as I've done a fair bit of pro/con research v my wants and needs.

I had the older version of the Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2.5 TDI only here it's called the Shogun Sport. Good Vehicles and if driven carefully they can average 36 MPG or 7.85L/100ks or at leased mine did, I still miss it even now. And before that I had the bigger squarer 91/92 Pajero Exceed (Top Spec Model).

1626929677_my_shogun_sport.jpg

1626929804_my_shogun_sport_2.jpg

My want/need - Discounted any ute as in S.A. thay are regarded commercial and almost doubles the rego. Notwithstanding you then need to add a canopy to utilise the rear securely.

2nd - a capable 4x4 and tow vehicle.
3rd discounted things like the Toyota Prado and Ford Everest primarily due to the cost.

Then I looked at all the add on lane departure tech, particularly the bit that pulls your steering back into the lane as it is something that needs turning off before towing.
The new Isuzu has this and when you turn it off, then turn the engine off when you stop it resets to the on position and I'm told a sub menu of the system, not a simple switch. The Prado remembers what you set it at and I believe the Paj Sport also remembers. I'm old school, I like to drive the car, not have it drive me, lol.

As to variant, I prefer a 5 seater only, the only 2 medium 4x4s with that option are the base models of both the Prado and PS. However, the Prado loses side steps, roof rails, privacy glass and rear dif locker. The base PS loses the dif lock and privacy glass but has the roof rails and side steps.

Privacy glass can be almost replaced by a $650 all round window tint. The dif lock would be a nice to have, but I haven't needed to use one for 5 years as my current ride doesn't have one. The price differential is around $20,000 between the Prado and PS, which will more pay for the extras like tow kit, electric brakes headlight protectors seat covers and lights etc.

So down to the PS as a choice for me, the next is base GLS 5 seater or 2nd tier GLS with dif lock and privacy glass, but 7 seats. Here is the issue, with this.....

The 5 seater has 4 tie down points in the rear compartment in each corner. The 7 seater with the 3rd row laid down only has 2 tie downs near the tailgate, nothing on the seat backs and they don't lock down anyway. :)

Still thinking on this part of the equation.

condor22 said:
My want/need - Discounted any ute as in S.A. thay are regarded commercial and almost doubles the rego. Notwithstanding you then need to add a canopy to utilise the rear securely.

2nd - a capable 4x4 and tow vehicle.
3rd discounted things like the Toyota Prado and Ford Everest primarily due to the cost.

Then I looked at all the add on lane departure tech, particularly the bit that pulls your steering back into the lane as it is something that needs turning off before towing.
The new Isuzu has this and when you turn it off, then turn the engine off when you stop it resets to the on position and I'm told a sub menu of the system, not a simple switch. The Prado remembers what you set it at and I believe the Paj Sport also remembers. I'm old school, I like to drive the car, not have it drive me, lol.

As to variant, I prefer a 5 seater only, the only 2 medium 4x4s with that option are the base models of both the Prado and PS. However, the Prado loses side steps, roof rails, privacy glass and rear dif locker. The base PS loses the dif lock and privacy glass but has the roof rails and side steps.

Privacy glass can be almost replaced by a $650 all round window tint. The dif lock would be a nice to have, but I haven't needed to use one for 5 years as my current ride doesn't have one. The price differential is around $20,000 between the Prado and PS, which will more pay for the extras like tow kit, electric brakes headlight protectors seat covers and lights etc.

So down to the PS as a choice for me, the next is base GLS 5 seater or 2nd tier GLS with dif lock and privacy glass, but 7 seats. Here is the issue, with this.....

The 5 seater has 4 tie down points in the rear compartment in each corner. The 7 seater with the 3rd row laid down only has 2 tie downs near the tailgate, nothing on the seat backs and they don't lock down anyway. :)

Still thinking on this part of the equation.

Yep, Having the 5 seat model over the 7 seat model will give you back an extra 40 to 50kgs of load weight, and th 5 seat PJ has a lot of load space for boxy items like fridges etc, I hope they have kept the Centre Diff Lock, My 91 Exceed had it and came fitted with Duel batteries but the 2003 Sport above didn't which I was not happy about because it locks the front axle to the rear Axle and if F & R difflocks are fitted they become almost unstopable. It won't hurt to ask the dealer if the new ones have the centre diff lock, ??

I had 2x 1991/2 exceeds and the 2003 Sport above and all of them were a joy to drive, Not to mention how many Paris Dakar Races they have won, :Y: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy:

Yes it has 4 modes - 2WD, 4WDH centre dif unlocked for on road 4WD, 4WDH with centre dif locked for off road hogh range and 4WDL for 4WD low range.

The dif locker I'm referring to is the rear axle dif lock....

Base model has no rear dif lock, mid and top spec do. But both get the 7 seat no option. Whereas the base model comes in 5 with a 7 seat option.

condor22 said:
RR Your van might be great for Pomland, but it looks a little low, for a lot of the bush bashing we do over here. I'd be worried about gravel rash on the a**e. :) However, the economy is great and given our distances a great thing to achieve.

In all honesty there is no point in owning a 4wd over here, for one all the land is either privately owned or protected and if you want to drive offroad then your only other option is to go to a 4wd park ( Playground ) for grown ups, There are a few dirt roads but they go through private land and you can't stray from the tracks, I would of rather kept my 4x4 but the new pollution laws stuffed that Idea, The Pollution laws over here a way higher than in Australia and the more pollution the vehicle puts out the more you pay for your Rego, And if you buy it new then they put an additional levy on top of that also for the first 3 or 5 years ??

Buying the Van Cut my Rego in half and I don't have to pay a daily pollution charge of over 20 bucks a day just to drive it, The Van might seem like an Odd choice of vehicle but it was the best option and then there is the fuel economy where it can do a claimed 4.4L/100ks, and If I add Air Suspension it will increase the ground clearance which will then allow for fitting taller tyres. They also make 4wd Transits now as well as 4wd Iveco Vans,

I know the feeling re areas to play. Like prospecting here in S.A. is almost non existent. Apart from 3 small areas in the Adelaide Hills, one you need to pay for, the rest is all pastoral lease, private or restricted crown land. i.e. Much of the Barossa Goldfields is in the Para catchment area which is owned/controlled by S.A. water, nil access.

W.A. is a bloody long way off, my mate went for a couple of months, only got back last week and got over 5oz, but with Covid border closures, problematic.

Which is why I go to VIC, 600kms, a day trip to get there, got a good mate with 10 acres (the above guy) to camp on, with rainwater and only a few kms to the nearest town. There's still a lot of VIC State Forest with unlimited access, certain areas of some State Parks and the odd area of some National Parks.

At least we have some good 4x4 driving in S.A. with the Murray Mouth, Flinders Ranges, Border Tracks with VIC and heaps of desert up north. Problem is we are currently under lockdown as is VIC and NSW.

Do you think when your son is older or old enough, you will ever come back here? Tell me to mind it if that's too personal. :)

He's old enough now, but he asked me to stay but he has a few health issues so I said I would stay here to be there for him.

Kids,,, you do anything for them no matter the cost, ;) :heart:

Back to the original topic, the BM is and has been for some time in the spare room with some drinks in it on 240 VAC and is working very well.

I'm considering getting a new 39lt Engel Combi for the new 4x4, along with another 100AH Lithium. My mate has now got tech to charge one properly from DC-DC/Solar and another device he designed to consider smart alternator switching/effects. I only briefly looked at this with him and haven't had the chance to find out more.

I dug the specs out for my 28 yr old 29lt Engel 631 long x 360 wide x 373 high. Gotta give Engel 10/10 for consistency, the new 39lt (nominal 40lt) Combi it has exactly the same LxW as my old one, the difference being 135mm higher at 508mm.

Even though my drawers are not overly deep, that would pretty well make using them with that extra fridge height, unusable. So going to look at a slide only for the fridge with either a single drawer alongside or a double drawer one on top of the other. Given the price of commercial options, I think I'll make my own.

Still keep the old Engel and BM, as when I move house, I'll get some battery backup and if there is a protracted power outage, especially in summer, I can run them to save at least some of the household fridge/freezer food. I have a spare 130 AH AGM as I just replaced the van battery with lithium and if I do the same in the 4by another 100 AH will go spare.

condor22 said:
Back to the original topic, the BM is and has been for some time in the spare room with some drinks in it on 240 VAC and is working very well.

I'm considering getting a new 39lt Engel Combi for the new 4x4, along with another 100AH Lithium. My mate has now got tech to charge one properly from DC-DC/Solar and another device he designed to consider smart alternator switching/effects. I only briefly looked at this with him and haven't had the chance to find out more.

I dug the specs out for my 28 yr old 29lt Engel 631 long x 360 wide x 373 high. Gotta give Engel 10/10 for consistency, the new 39lt (nominal 40lt) Combi it has exactly the same LxW as my old one, the difference being 135mm higher at 508mm.

Even though my drawers are not overly deep, that would pretty well make using them with that extra fridge height, unusable. So going to look at a slide only for the fridge with either a single drawer alongside or a double drawer one on top of the other. Given the price of commercial options, I think I'll make my own.

Still keep the old Engel and BM, as when I move house, I'll get some battery backup and if there is a protracted power outage, especially in summer, I can run them to save at least some of the household fridge/freezer food. I have a spare 130 AH AGM as I just replaced the van battery with lithium and if I do the same in the 4by another 100 AH will go spare.

For a perminant setup the AGM/Deep Cycles are better, But for power on the Go Lithium is King, That PLB of mine is 512Wh/40Ah and I ran it down to 33% SOC meaning I had used 67% or 26.8Ah of it's power and Charging Direct from the Cigar Socket took around 3 hours to bring back up to 100%, Lithium is the ultimate way to go because of the speed it charges at and the weight saving you will gain is emence,

In Theory A 100Ah Lithium is going to be equal to about a 600Ah AGM because you can charge a 100Ah lithium battery 3x in a Day where as a 200Ah AGM would take about 12 hours or more to bring back from a 50% SOC.

That little PLB would power your Engel or BM easily So that 100Ah Lithium should never drop below 95% SOC and because of how they charge it would be almost impossible for you to run out of power If you had a DC to DC for when your driving and a 80 to a 100w panel on the roof for when your parked,

With a bigger fridge set to -10 or -12 the PLB is big enough to power the fridge during the night but it would need Solar during the daylight hours to bring it back up where as a 100Ah Lithium would keep it going for a couple of Days, The PLB has a recommended DOD of 80% @ 2000 Cycles but I have never taken mine down past 33% SOC and I only did that the other day for the first time Only.

You are in for a pleasant surprize when you get that Lithium all hooked up because it will solve all your power issues and you will be able to do away with 90% of the extra stuff you are using at the moment not forgetting the weight saving

All the extra wiring I need to power my fridge from the PLB/Van is the normal fridge lead and the PLB plus the supplied lead that has a Ciger Plug on one end a the Large 50A Anderson plug on the other and thats it and I can plug in a folding 120w Solar panel if I want to if Parked up,

Appreciate the benefit of the 40AH Dometic PLB, but and a big but...... for me. :)

It sells at Snowys here in town for AUD$909. The 100AH Pylontech I got a few weeks back from my mate was $985.

So for $909 I get 40AH, an Anderson input, 1 x cig socket, 1 x 2 pin socket and 2 x USB @ 7.7kg in a fancy package, lol.
For $989 I get 100AH @ approx 13kg. Then to add the above connectors, maybe $40 and a box @ $25 for a total of $1,050 = for 2.5 times the capacity at an extra $141.

To me a no brainer and instead of charging 3 times a day, lol, I could probably get away with once every 3 days, but 2 would be no issue.

I guess I prefer the extra capacity over convenience. I should also probably add, I have a box full of spare sockets as described and the battery box, so it's really only the battery cost differential for me.

My advice to others would be; If you want to throw a fridge in a vehicle for a BBQ, day trip or even a weekender a 40AH Dometic is a good way to go. But, if like me, the fridge stays in the 4by and I bugger off for 2 months at a time, bigger is better, lol.

Either way, they both need to be charged, the difference in short term lower use is that can be done at home before leaving with the PLB and it will do the job till back home.
My biggest issue excepting $/AH is here in Oz, a small/medium fridge in Summer will use all of the PLB in less than 24 hours, especially if it's in a vehicle. Unless it has a mobile charging solution.

My Engel going non stop all day will pull around 60-70AH, I've not seen it do that, but on a 40 C day it went from 0800 to 1600 (8hrs) and chewed 25AH, that was on an AGM. Worst case scenario, I'd get a full day out of a 100AH lithium. :)

condor22 said:
Appreciate the benefit of the 40AH Dometic PLB, but and a big but...... for me. :)

It sells at Snowys here in town for AUD$909. The 100AH Pylontech I got a few weeks back from my mate was $985.

So for $909 I get 40AH, an Anderson input, 1 x cig socket, 1 x 2 pin socket and 2 x USB @ 7.7kg in a fancy package, lol.
For $989 I get 100AH @ approx 13kg. Then to add the above connectors, maybe $40 and a box @ $25 for a total of $1,050 = for 2.5 times the capacity at an extra $141.

To me a no brainer and instead of charging 3 times a day, lol, I could probably get away with once every 3 days, but 2 would be no issue.

I guess I prefer the extra capacity over convenience. I should also probably add, I have a box full of spare sockets as described and the battery box, so it's really only the battery cost differential for me.

My advice to others would be; If you want to throw a fridge in a vehicle for a BBQ, day trip or even a weekender a 40AH Dometic is a good way to go. But, if like me, the fridge stays in the 4by and I bugger off for 2 months at a time, bigger is better, lol.

Either way, they both need to be charged, the difference in short term lower use is that can be done at home before leaving with the PLB and it will do the job till back home.
My biggest issue excepting $/AH is here in Oz, a small/medium fridge in Summer will use all of the PLB in less than 24 hours, especially if it's in a vehicle. Unless it has a mobile charging solution.

My Engel going non stop all day will pull around 60-70AH, I've not seen it do that, but on a 40 C day it went from 0800 to 1600 (8hrs) and chewed 25AH, that was on an AGM. Worst case scenario, I'd get a full day out of a 100AH lithium. :)

My referrance to the PLB is more about what can be achieved with a small lithium battery and 1 PLB can replace a 120Ah AGM, I am not saying that you or anyone else for that matter should buy a PLB, I bought the PLB's so I would not Void the Vans Warranty by adding any electrics to the Vehicle which is one thing you might want to checkout before you fix any wiring connected to your new vehicle.

As for charging the PLB from a Vehicle all it needs is the supplied Cigar/Anderson Lead because the PLB already has an MPPT Charge Controler built in / DC to DC Charger.

Also the PLB will run the ARB47L for around 48 hours and it will run the bigger 78L with the more powerful compressor for over 24 hours and in 44*c Heat it will run a small fridge like the CDF18 or your BM for around 36 hours or for 3 days in the cooler months maybe more.

As you pointed out The PLB's are great if you need portable power that charges faster than your fridge can use it, The PLB's are problem solvers

I paid 595.00 for the PLB's

You would only need a PLB for portable power not a primary source of power. :Y:

I see what you mean re price 595 is $1,190 AUD so about $280 more at your end. Sounds like VAT is a big impost.

For my own interest:)

What's the average price of a 100AH LiFePo4 Lithium in the U.K?

also the 40lt Engel Combi ?

Here's a link to a name brand 100Ah Lithium battery, there are cheap ones over here but many of the reviews were bad,
https://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/12v-100ah-relion-lithium-battery/

Here a link to the MT35 and the MT 45 Also it looks like the Main Engel dealer has stopped selling them because he dosen't even have their Catalogue

https://www.compass24.com/comfort/r...WN6KjcUiC3KYDjOXQct_D9W-msx2nOyBoCuK4QAvD_BwE

And here is the New Black Premium 40L model which is 999.99 equals $1869.98c AUD But BCF in Australia sell the same one for $1439.00 AUD so it costs $430 bucks more here.
https://www.compass24.com/comfort/r...mium-series-compressor-cooler?number=416991_8

I can't find any UK based Engel dealer that have the Combi version.

You were certainly correct with the for $ with the battery. I thought some things here were more expensive than perhaps they should be, but the UK seems to have that market cornered.

A few years ago, I bought a set of camo, waterproof, large eye relief Bushnell binocs for bow hunting. They were about to be released here in Oz, by Olympus at around $540. I ordered from a US sports store, paid $50 US for Fedex shipping and after the currency conversion got them for $320 AUD all up. I might add, the AUD$ was sitting in the high 80s cents to the US$ at the time.

Pays to shop around lol.

condor22 said:
You were certainly correct with the for $ with the battery. I thought some things here were more expensive than perhaps they should be, but the UK seems to have that market cornered.

A few years ago, I bought a set of camo, waterproof, large eye relief Bushnell binocs for bow hunting. They were about to be released here in Oz, by Olympus at around $540. I ordered from a US sports store, paid $50 US for Fedex shipping and after the currency conversion got them for $320 AUD all up. I might add, the AUD$ was sitting in the high 80s cents to the US$ at the time.

Pays to shop around lol.

I have a load of Tactical optics, I have a pair of the Cotote Brown Leupold Mk 4 10x50 Mil Dot Binos and I have a pair of Black Leupold 10x42 tactical Mil Hash Binos both pairs were about 800 to 1000 bucks a pair and I have a 10 to 40 Leupold Golden Ring / Mk4 spotting scope and a Bushnell version with the Mil Dot Range finder in it plus a few Laser Range finders, Also I have a pair of 7x30 Steiners which are great when on the move because once focused to your eyes you never have to touch them again regardless of the distance, nearly all my optics have some form of range finder in them, :Y:

Old topic i know but am thinking about getting a Brass Monkey dual fridge freezer. I can get the 36ltr for $224 which is 1/2 price which seems to be a bit of a steal. The 25ltr on sale is $329

Would appreciate an update on how it is going (if it still is) and thoughts on performance? Most reviews online seem to be from those that are selling

Thanks

Rod

a mate has a couple of the brass monkey fridges ,he has had them for a few years and no probs that i am aware off

i looked at them myself at one staged, but what concerned me the most was that there is no tie down points on them
it was the 30 odd litre one i was looking at, and the shop staff said just put a ratchet strap over the lid and tie it down
i said that would work with a plastic hollow lid you idiot

so he suggested i get the cover for it ,it has handles on it to tie it down ,i had a look at the cover and just walked out of the shop ,there is no way the handles on the cover would hold it down either

my mate loves them but he has not travelled anywhere with them sitting on the floor of his caravan ,which i have brought it to his attention but he is one of those blokes that cannot see a problem with it bouncing around the caravan :rolleyes:

my old evakool uses the metal carry handles as tie down points the same as a lot of other brands

a mate has a couple of the brass monkey fridges ,he has had them for a few years and no probs that i am aware off

i looked at them myself at one staged, but what concerned me the most was that there is no tie down points on them
it was the 30 odd litre one i was looking at, and the shop staff said just put a ratchet strap over the lid and tie it down
i said that would work with a plastic hollow lid you idiot

so he suggested i get the cover for it ,it has handles on it to tie it down ,i had a look at the cover and just walked out of the shop ,there is no way the handles on the cover would hold it down either

my mate loves them but he has not travelled anywhere with them sitting on the floor of his caravan ,which i have brought it to his attention but he is one of those blokes that cannot see a problem with it bouncing around the caravan :rolleyes:

my old evakool uses the metal carry handles as tie down points the same as a lot of other brands
I got a 16L unit and very pleased with it performance. Note the battery was additional cost that makes it more useable. I have filled it with cans of drinks etc and place it on before travelling all day on the way to QLD 6 to 8 hours and found that it was still cold without using the car or internal battery during the drive. It
can be used as a freeze if need.

I got a 16L unit and very pleased with it performance. Note the battery was additional cost that makes it more useable. I have filled it with cans of drinks etc and place it on before travelling all day on the way to QLD 6 to 8 hours and found that it was still cold without using the car or internal battery during the drive. It
can be used as a freeze if need.
I think I’ve got the same unit for the truck, I recently took it on a gold trip as a backup, if I ever take away again I’ll remove the battery when at camp as it seem to want to charge the battery at the same time as running, maybe there’s a setting to stop the charging?
But I learned the hard way dropping my aux battery down to 40% overnight when I normally wake to around 80%.

it seem to want to charge the battery at the same time as running, maybe there’s a setting to stop the charging?

My sons Brass Monkey has 2 inputs, solar and 12/24V. It definitely charges from both.

I guess you've looked in the app to see if there's a setting to disable the charging?

On a side note. My son's BM really struggled to keep the battery charged. 35°C days, heaps of sun and a 160W solar panel. He'd been covering it with a couple of beach towels and the battery was still going dead in the middle of the night.
We made a cover using a foil covered camp mat from Kmart. Now it works very well. You can slip you hand under the cover and plastic fridge lid and sides feel COLD to touch. The insulation must not be that good wasting all the power just trying to keep up.

https://www.productreview.com.au/listings/kmart-thermal-eva-foam-bed-roll