You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

davent
24 January 2021 11:16 pm

Jesus condor, where do you live? The sun?

Mike678
25 January 2021 11:56 am

In Australia , we all live under the sun .....

New hat !

condor22
25 January 2021 12:39 pm

sunny sunny fire fire sunny sunny poop

About says it all, lol. I normally set my Engel as a fridge at 2 C. Yesterday would have required it to operate 60 C below the internal car temperature.

I have previously tested it on a 40 C day and it will do this, but it never cycles off in this kind of heat, pulling 3.0 to 3.2 amps. As the overnight was roughly 25 C and probably a short time my estimate is, 15 hours @ 3.0 A = 45 AH, 5 hours @ 50% cycle = 7.5 AH and 4 hours at 30% cycle = 4 AH for a total of 56.5 AH.
That would be minimum, so 60 AH is probably a good estimate.

This then shows that my 100 AH AGM/110 W panel probably won't cut it in the heat for total consumption replacement. I might get 2-3 days if lucky, which means operating the vehicle at times. Data shows at this time of year Adelaide gets 7.5 sun hours re solar panels - Panel is roughly 6 A output so 45 AH of input.

Last edited by condor22 (25 January 2021 12:44 pm)

1 user likes this post: robmoto

Ridge Runner
25 January 2021 08:33 pm

condor22 wrote:

About says it all, lol. I normally set my Engel as a fridge at 2 C. Yesterday would have required it to operate 60 C below the internal car temperature.

I have previously tested it on a 40 C day and it will do this, but it never cycles off in this kind of heat, pulling 3.0 to 3.2 amps. As the overnight was roughly 25 C and probably a short time my estimate is, 15 hours @ 3.0 A = 45 AH, 5 hours @ 50% cycle = 7.5 AH and 4 hours at 30% cycle = 4 AH for a total of 56.5 AH.

This then shows that my 100 AH AGM/110 W panel probably won't cut it in the heat for total consumption replacement. I might get 2-3 days if lucky, which means operating the vehicle at times. Data shows at this time of year Adelaide gets 7.5 sun hours re solar panels - Panel is roughly 6 A output so 45 AH of input.

Your going to need another Battery to give you a longer run time so you can play catch up or get a lithium pack which will charge faster, ?

Using 50 to 60Ah a day is going to be hard to put back in the limited daylight time, I would hate to think what bigger fridges would use in those Temps, sad sad ops ops ops

AKA, Fridge Runner.... Ted Bullpit for PM

davent
25 January 2021 09:13 pm

Mike678 wrote:

In Australia , we all live under the sun .....

Not this part atm mate, monsoon trough has us under cloud, weird, but some of the coolest day time temperatures atm, 27-8 today and beautiful relief! cloudy

limpalot
25 January 2021 09:16 pm

Need a bigger solar panel or two.

Home made sluices x 2 & highbanker, ATX, Garret Supa Sluice, Quanta pan, 2008 - minelab 4500, SPO1, Makro Gold Kruzer

2 users like this post: Ridge Runner, robmoto

nucopia
25 January 2021 09:26 pm

Had a brass Monkey since early December .
Used it on 12volts and 240 haven’t and really had it off for more than a couple of days since it arrived and it’s going strong.
The freezer sits at -16 and the fridge section at 0.4 hasn’t missed a beat ..when we got home from camping We left frozen fish and hamburger patties in the freezer and other items in the ref. It’s just like a regular refrigerator , bonus is I used it as a drinks fridge over Christmas , new year and even now .. perfect couldn’t be happier..

every day is an adventure

2 users like this post: Ridge Runner, robmoto

Ridge Runner
25 January 2021 10:35 pm

nucopia wrote:

Had a brass Monkey since early December .
Used it on 12volts and 240 haven’t and really had it off for more than a couple of days since it arrived and it’s going strong.
The freezer sits at -16 and the fridge section at 0.4 hasn’t missed a beat ..when we got home from camping We left frozen fish and hamburger patties in the freezer and other items in the ref. It’s just like a regular refrigerator , bonus is I used it as a drinks fridge over Christmas , new year and even now .. perfect couldn’t be happier..

From what we have seen with the BM fridges they are a top shelf fridge right up there with 2 other well known brands, thumbsup

1 user likes this post: nucopia

condor22
25 January 2021 10:57 pm

RR Won't need another panel or bigger battery. I rarely go way in the summer, the most I use it for is Fridge shopping and on occasion to visit for a BBQ etc. In those circumstances, I have plenty for a few hours.

It's main use is when I go Prospecting. Apart from my stuff up a couple of years ago with the oven, I've never exceeded 30% DOC and for many years had no solar only the DC-DC.

My main reason for the temp posts was to point out to those using a 40 AH AGM battery pack etc will not get very long in an OZ summer.

2 users like this post: Ridge Runner, limpalot

Ridge Runner
27 March 2021 02:40 am

One thing for sure if you use a fast acting thermometer you will drive your self nuts when testing a fridge and you will see temp variation that go lower and higher than normal seeing Temp swings of up to 7 or 8 degrees "C", The Sensor in all fridges are slow acting which is why you sometimes see a different temp on the fridge display compared to what you get by adding a thermometer inside the main compartment.

Nightjar
27 March 2021 10:31 am

RR,
I'm curious, do you enjoy the outdoors/camping etc or do you spend all your free time fiddling with settings and fridge/solar operation?
Do realise it is each for their own but when we are away in the bush we have to have our machine beeping just after sun up or swmbo gets cranky. inlove
No time to waste time fiddling, if the fridge is cold all's good, if the freezer's frozen, again all good. big_smile

The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.
Happy Hunting, Nightjar.

5 users like this post: Ridge Runner, bicter, Solid Luck, condor22, rustyhooks

Ridge Runner
27 March 2021 11:33 am

Nightjar wrote:

RR,
I'm curious, do you enjoy the outdoors/camping etc or do you spend all your free time fiddling with settings and fridge/solar operation?
Do realise it is each for their own but when we are away in the bush we have to have our machine beeping just after sun up or swmbo gets cranky. inlove
No time to waste time fiddling, if the fridge is cold all's good, if the freezer's frozen, again all good. big_smile

Yeah I do, I was raised on the farm and always lived out of town so going camping is the closest I can get to it.

To be honest because they have not lifted the lockdown yet I am Stuck indoors fiddling and have been for over 13 months now, and between playing around with this stuff I have to keep Cycling Batteries and Charging them at leased once a month, I got so feed up of charging out in the Cold I bought them all indoors, and the number of batteries has turned it in to a 3 or 4 day Job, All this buggerizing about is just to kill time,

At the moment I am using the fridges to Cycle the batteries so I can charge them correctly instead of just topping them off, otherwise I will lose them.

The Van is still loaded with 3 weeks worth of food and fuel for the stove and all the cooking gear and BBQ gear and Gerry Cans of fuel etc. Mate I am ready but the GOV are not,

As of tomorrow groups of up to 6 people can meet in an open area, But still no traveling is allowed, Still can't visit family etc. It's beyond a joke now, Ay. mad

Last edited by Ridge Runner (27 March 2021 11:41 am)

1 user likes this post: Nightjar

shakergt
27 March 2021 11:16 pm

condor22 wrote:

Heck your pulling some power. I am quite surprised at the amount of amps you use. I set my ARB fridge at 0 C all the time. Going of mine I only use 1.12A/hr.

1 user likes this post: Ridge Runner

Ridge Runner
27 March 2021 11:36 pm

shakergt wrote:

Heck your pulling some power. I am quite surprised at the amount of amps you use. I set my ARB fridge at 0 C all the time. Going of mine I only use 1.12A/hr.

At what Ambient Temp does it do that SGT ??

Ridge Runner
21 July 2021 06:27 pm

On the weekend I took the little Dometic CDF-18 with me and the Ambient temp was around 32*c and the fridge was set to around 2*c, The temp in the Van hit 43.4 *c and the little dometic managed to chew 1.01Ah over a 24hr period, I ran the Dometic from the Dometic PLB-40 Lithium Pack for 26 and a half hours and it used 67% of the PLB's power which is equal to 26.8Ah so then On my way home I plugged it in to the Cigar Socket and it was fully charged in just around 3 hours which is pretty quick really, I figure that if I only used the PLB to power the fridge while stopped over night it would take less than an hour to charge it back up.

During the time away I opened the fridge a few times in the day and night but even with the heat in the van It was really cold in the fridge and when set to around 2*c it will start to get Ice about half way up the inner walls and it still did that even in the Van. I never had to make any adjustment to the Dial So I think it would work normally in 50 to 60* Van Temp without batting an eye, perfect

Last edited by Ridge Runner (21 July 2021 07:09 pm)

1 user likes this post: Jaros

condor22
21 July 2021 11:34 pm

Nice to see you out and about after such a long lockdown. 32 must be a heat wave over there, went down to around 4 C in Adelaide last night, brrrrr.

We are locked down in NSW VIC n SA so going nowhere lol.

Ridge Runner
22 July 2021 12:02 am

condor22 wrote:

Nice to see you out and about after such a long lockdown. 32 must be a heat wave over there, went down to around 4 C in Adelaide last night, brrrrr.

We are locked down in NSW VIC n SA so going nowhere lol.

Yeah it was good to get out and I got to test the fridge in real world temps I covered about 880kms and the van still averaged 5.1L/100km which is not too bad seeing as I did about 300ks of Town driving as well,

I might go off again somewhere soon now they have eased the lockdown, thumbsup

brendomac
22 July 2021 09:14 am

5.1L/100klm! That is great, what van are you driving?

That sounds like a pretty good recharge time too

Ridge Runner
22 July 2021 03:05 pm

brendomac wrote:

5.1L/100klm! That is great, what van are you driving?

That sounds like a pretty good recharge time too

It's a Ford Grand Tourneo Connect Titanium which is the poeple carrier version of the Transit Connect,

Looks like this.

1626926698_my_van_front_ford_tourneo_2017_diesel_ford_grand_tourneo.jpg

1 user likes this post: brendomac

condor22
22 July 2021 03:35 pm

RR Your van might be great for Pomland, but it looks a little low, for a lot of the bush bashing we do over here. I'd be worried about gravel rash on the a**e. smile However, the economy is great and given our distances a great thing to achieve. My home away from home weighs 1800kg, so I need an efficient and economical tug to move it.

I'm looking at a new ride later this year, the one I'm favouring is the Mitsubishi Pajero Sport and before you tell me lol, my sister (lives in U.K.) reminded me of the Spanish translation of the word Pajero. For those that don't know it's slang in Spanish for w****r - fill in the blanks, I don't want to raise the ire of Jaros, lol.

The biggest issue with a new car at the moment, it's a 6 month order wait due to Covid and microchip shortages. Which in turn reduces the bargain chip with dealers.

I have a few reasons for this choice as I've done a fair bit of pro/con research v my wants and needs.

Ridge Runner
22 July 2021 03:54 pm

condor22 wrote:

RR Your van might be great for Pomland, but it looks a little low, for a lot of the bush bashing we do over here. I'd be worried about gravel rash on the a**e. smile However, the economy is great and given our distances a great thing to achieve. My home away from home weighs 1800kg, so I need an efficient and economical tug to move it.

I'm looking at a new ride later this year, the one I'm favouring is the Mitsubishi Pajero Sport and before you tell me lol, my sister (lives in U.K.) reminded me of the Spanish translation of the word Pajero. For those that don't know it's slang in Spanish for w****r - fill in the blanks, I don't want to raise the ire of Jaros, lol.

The biggest issue with a new car at the moment, it's a 6 month order wait due to Covid and microchip shortages. Which in turn reduces the bargain chip with dealers.

I have a few reasons for this choice as I've done a fair bit of pro/con research v my wants and needs.

I had the older version of the Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2.5 TDI only here it's called the Shogun Sport. Good Vehicles and if driven carefully they can average 36 MPG or 7.85L/100ks or at leased mine did, I still miss it even now. And before that I had the bigger squarer 91/92 Pajero Exceed (Top Spec Model).

1626929677_my_shogun_sport.jpg

1626929804_my_shogun_sport_2.jpg

Last edited by Ridge Runner (22 July 2021 04:25 pm)

condor22
22 July 2021 04:49 pm

My want/need - Discounted any ute as in S.A. thay are regarded commercial and almost doubles the rego. Notwithstanding you then need to add a canopy to utilise the rear securely.

2nd - a capable 4x4 and tow vehicle.
3rd discounted things like the Toyota Prado and Ford Everest primarily due to the cost.

Then I looked at all the add on lane departure tech, particularly the bit that pulls your steering back into the lane as it is something that needs turning off before towing.
The new Isuzu has this and when you turn it off, then turn the engine off when you stop it resets to the on position and I'm told a sub menu of the system, not a simple switch. The Prado remembers what you set it at and I believe the Paj Sport also remembers. I'm old school, I like to drive the car, not have it drive me, lol.

As to variant, I prefer a 5 seater only, the only 2 medium 4x4s with that option are the base models of both the Prado and PS. However, the Prado loses side steps, roof rails, privacy glass and rear dif locker. The base PS loses the dif lock and privacy glass but has the roof rails and side steps.

Privacy glass can be almost replaced by a $650 all round window tint. The dif lock would be a nice to have, but I haven't needed to use one for 5 years as my current ride doesn't have one. The price differential is around $20,000 between the Prado and PS, which will more pay for the extras like tow kit, electric brakes headlight protectors seat covers and lights etc.

So down to the PS as a choice for me, the next is base GLS 5 seater or 2nd tier GLS with dif lock and privacy glass, but 7 seats. Here is the issue, with this.....

The 5 seater has 4 tie down points in the rear compartment in each corner. The 7 seater with the 3rd row laid down only has 2 tie downs near the tailgate, nothing on the seat backs and they don't lock down anyway. smile

Still thinking on this part of the equation.

Ridge Runner
22 July 2021 05:11 pm

condor22 wrote:

My want/need - Discounted any ute as in S.A. thay are regarded commercial and almost doubles the rego. Notwithstanding you then need to add a canopy to utilise the rear securely.

2nd - a capable 4x4 and tow vehicle.
3rd discounted things like the Toyota Prado and Ford Everest primarily due to the cost.

Then I looked at all the add on lane departure tech, particularly the bit that pulls your steering back into the lane as it is something that needs turning off before towing.
The new Isuzu has this and when you turn it off, then turn the engine off when you stop it resets to the on position and I'm told a sub menu of the system, not a simple switch. The Prado remembers what you set it at and I believe the Paj Sport also remembers. I'm old school, I like to drive the car, not have it drive me, lol.

As to variant, I prefer a 5 seater only, the only 2 medium 4x4s with that option are the base models of both the Prado and PS. However, the Prado loses side steps, roof rails, privacy glass and rear dif locker. The base PS loses the dif lock and privacy glass but has the roof rails and side steps.

Privacy glass can be almost replaced by a $650 all round window tint. The dif lock would be a nice to have, but I haven't needed to use one for 5 years as my current ride doesn't have one. The price differential is around $20,000 between the Prado and PS, which will more pay for the extras like tow kit, electric brakes headlight protectors seat covers and lights etc.

So down to the PS as a choice for me, the next is base GLS 5 seater or 2nd tier GLS with dif lock and privacy glass, but 7 seats. Here is the issue, with this.....

The 5 seater has 4 tie down points in the rear compartment in each corner. The 7 seater with the 3rd row laid down only has 2 tie downs near the tailgate, nothing on the seat backs and they don't lock down anyway. smile

Still thinking on this part of the equation.

Yep, Having the 5 seat model over the 7 seat model will give you back an extra 40 to 50kgs of load weight, and th 5 seat PJ has a lot of load space for boxy items like fridges etc, I hope they have kept the Centre Diff Lock, My 91 Exceed had it and came fitted with Duel batteries but the 2003 Sport above didn't which I was not happy about because it locks the front axle to the rear Axle and if F & R difflocks are fitted they become almost unstopable. It won't hurt to ask the dealer if the new ones have the centre diff lock, ??

I had 2x 1991/2 exceeds and the 2003 Sport above and all of them were a joy to drive, Not to mention how many Paris Dakar Races they have won, thumbsup trophy trophy trophy

condor22
22 July 2021 06:42 pm

Yes it has 4 modes - 2WD, 4WDH centre dif unlocked for on road 4WD, 4WDH with centre dif locked for off road hogh range and 4WDL for 4WD low range.

The dif locker I'm referring to is the rear axle dif lock....

Base model has no rear dif lock, mid and top spec do. But both get the 7 seat no option. Whereas the base model comes in 5 with a 7 seat option.

Last edited by condor22 (22 July 2021 06:45 pm)

Ridge Runner
22 July 2021 09:10 pm

condor22 wrote:

RR Your van might be great for Pomland, but it looks a little low, for a lot of the bush bashing we do over here. I'd be worried about gravel rash on the a**e. smile However, the economy is great and given our distances a great thing to achieve.

In all honesty there is no point in owning a 4wd over here, for one all the land is either privately owned or protected and if you want to drive offroad then your only other option is to go to a 4wd park ( Playground ) for grown ups, There are a few dirt roads but they go through private land and you can't stray from the tracks, I would of rather kept my 4x4 but the new pollution laws stuffed that Idea, The Pollution laws over here a way higher than in Australia and the more pollution the vehicle puts out the more you pay for your Rego, And if you buy it new then they put an additional levy on top of that also for the first 3 or 5 years ??

Buying the Van Cut my Rego in half and I don't have to pay a daily pollution charge of over 20 bucks a day just to drive it, The Van might seem like an Odd choice of vehicle but it was the best option and then there is the fuel economy where it can do a claimed 4.4L/100ks, and If I add Air Suspension it will increase the ground clearance which will then allow for fitting taller tyres. They also make 4wd Transits now as well as 4wd Iveco Vans,

Last edited by Ridge Runner (22 July 2021 09:11 pm)