Swag recommendations, information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Myself and a few Mates have the Darche Dirty Dee, we set them up on a camp cot so you're off the ground
I'd post a link but not allowed as yet

In a hot climate, those cots are great. Off the ground, no ants, leeches, tips or other crawly things, and it's a mozzie dome really with an outer cover if you need/want it.

I bought my " Jolly Swag" in 1988 at a rural supplies in Wagga. Lived in it every night for 3 years, used for many years since of bush whacking. Lived in it for 3 months at a time shearing for 8 years and it is still in excellent condition today.
Best buy ever!!!

I've had the Jungle reef that you used to get from Techi Ice for about 5 years now. Pretty good quality. It's been through quite a few very heavy downpours and only once did water get in. And then, not too much. Got me up just in time for coffee at about 5.
That was one mamma of a storm though at Uluru.
I remember going to the office later that morning and the Aboriginal receptionist looking at me and saying "that was one hell of a storm last night".
Others did not fare so well. :argh:

1626244401_20180101_060106.jpg

I moved from a swag to a stretcher tent, very similar to what Davent has, except it doesn't taper to one end.

I totally rate it, I got sick of being on the ground and liked the idea of being able to sit up in it to get changed in the rain and you can have a mini-awning and put a bit of your crap underneath. If you lose your socks, it is a little easier to find them too!

It doesn't keep you as warm as a swag

It is heavier and like almost every tent in the world, the bag it comes in is a bit small so you need to be a magician to put it back in. In the end, I found a bigger bag and life is much easier.

I'd recommend popping into a camping shop and giving it a try.

My swag was a blue tarp on the ground , then an air bed . A good sleeping bag with a piece of tarp over the top . I could not afford those fancy swags !

To find a leak in an air bed , put some small amount of water in and blow it up . Shake it around and a wet spot will show up . Mark with a texta and let it dry . When dry put a patch on . Let the air out before putting the patch on .

There is a lot of "romanticism" wrapped up in the term SWAG, but really the modern day "swags" are just mini tents, and some may call it evolution. Now, tents are really practical especially when the weather is not favorable.... but swags are not....

Yes! I've slept in a "real" swag (you know, the ones with no poles, no hoops, no pegs or guy ropes) at Knockwood near Woods Point, Victoria, just one night though, and it rained which became sleet and then it snowed - I was dry and warm until I needed to emerge at 6:30am :awful:. The swag I unhesitatingly donated to the Salvo's and replaced it with an old school 2 man apex canvas hike tent which is good in snow and I roll it up like a swag :eek: which leaves me thinking - why did I wrote this post :)
Happy New Year for 2022
casper

Dave14110:

Sorry can't help with swag. I use caravan or minute man tent which is a square tent peg it down step in put pole in centre done.
I bought one of those tents about 50 years ago Dave14110. I still used my swag but if it looked like raining heavy I would roll the swag out inside it. My swag was the old conventional 10 x 12 campsheet folded in half. Still miss it but that tent was the best investment ever. Alas, set it up one day on the back lawn for the kids to play in. Yeah right, they rode their trikes into the sides of it and killed it.

I've had quite a few swags over the years and there all pretty good .but one word of advise make sure you've got enough room in it .No use buying a single if the roof is a few centimetres of your face or the side are right up against you. I got a double just for that reason I can sit up have a bit of space either side and easily exit and enter ,especially for those trips to the toilet in the dark after drinks with the boys 🤣🤣

No matter if you have a tent or swag, on the ground or on a cot, wack one of those silver sunscreens you put on the dashboard that's for a truck under your mattress & it reflects all the lost body heat back at ya, you can put it under your sleeping bag but sometimes they work too good depending if your a hot or cold sleeper, cheap as chips & really work. And they don't make crinkling noises.

Latest posts