You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

Big Johno
11 July 2021 12:57 pm

Hi Folks,
For all the 6K knockers out there get your head around this u Tube video in WA last week.
The video is titled "Sandstone Western Australia July 2021 and the GPX 6000" posted by Goldswagman

Bet you wish you were there big_smile

2 users like this post: ProspectorPete, numpty

grubstake
11 July 2021 02:04 pm

Where it is, there it is.

delapan
11 July 2021 02:25 pm

Really good video, but how about filling in your holes!

A bad day prospecting is better than a good day at work by far

8 users like this post: Jaros, ProspectorPete, davent, limpalot, Dave79, GaryO, numpty, geof_junk

Jaros
11 July 2021 03:33 pm

Not a great example of how to leave a fossicking area...

F1A4M2, Exterra 705 Gold, Ace 250, Goldrat 8" Dreammat River Sluice.

7 users like this post: Mackka, Swinging & digging, Dave79, GaryO, Deepseeker, BigL, brucee

Dave79
11 July 2021 05:03 pm

Looks like an example of someone going too fast and missing bits in the first case and probably someone using and older SD series detector or a large coil in the second case.... they probably dug 3 holes for 3 oz!

Prospecting must be like fishing, the big one keeps getting away!

1 user likes this post: GaryO

ProspectorPete
11 July 2021 08:05 pm

Dave79 wrote:

Looks like an example of someone going too fast and missing bits in the first case and probably someone using and older SD series detector or a large coil in the second case.... they probably dug 3 holes for 3 oz!

and if they had a 6000 in the first and second case they would have dug about 103 holes for 4 oz lol

STUMPY Picks, GPX6000 and a lot of old areas to revisit

Dave79
11 July 2021 08:40 pm

More like 1200 holes for 4oz of gpx6000 gold. Horses for courses, if youve got deep pockets and long arms and you're happy with any signal that's yellow it's the best thing since sliced bread!

Big Johno
11 July 2021 09:05 pm

Judging by the area pushed and the levelling of the ground I would say it was a recent operation and expensive so I think it likely they had a modern detector with big coil. The chaining and footsteps were thorough as well which indicate they knew what they were doing, to me it goes to show how much the big coils leave behind. Also Nothings changed much since the early gold rushs in Aust, if your doing it for a living ya need the cash flow, can't spend time chasing the subbies all day when you have big dozers , loaders and staff to pay. Thats a good thing isn't it ? leave em for us !

2 users like this post: ProspectorPete, aussiefarmer

ProspectorPete
11 July 2021 09:18 pm

Dave79 wrote:

More like 1200 holes for 4oz of gpx6000 gold.

Do your maths Dave, the Goldswagman dug 100 holes for 1 oz and you said the in the first or second case they would have dug 3 holes for 3 oz, in my book that says if the first operator had a 6000 they would have dug 103 holes for 4 oz
Not sure where you get 12oo holes from tongue

Dave79
11 July 2021 09:34 pm

In my limited experience watching the 6000 in action it seems to only excel on 0.1g bits at a depth of 3-4". Anything shallower would have been picked up by a decent operator with an SDC and any bigger bits at depth would have been picked up by anyone who swung a gpx 4500/5000 or GPZ over them as long as their technique wasn't sloppy. It's a great cleanup machine but I wouldn't say that getting a few subgram bits from patches detected by people looking to make money 're-opens the goldfields '. If I was in the market for a gold detector, a second hand 7000 for the same price or less would be way better value in my opinion. Seems like technology has taken a back seat to marketing with this latest release.

Last edited by Dave79 (11 July 2021 09:35 pm)

3 users like this post: GaryO, Deepseeker, Евгений

ProspectorPete
11 July 2021 09:39 pm

Have you seen other machines pick up bigger deeper bits that the 6000 missed or just seen the 6000 cleaning up the bits the other machines missed?

Dave79
11 July 2021 10:14 pm

Haven't had the chance to go over new ground after the 6000 has been over it, but never seen it get a target over 0.2 grams on ground previously detected by a 4500/evo or a 7000 with std coil and only a couple of deep shotty pellets on spots flogged by SDCs. It's a very light and ergonomic package that fixes many of the gripes we all have about the SDC but it costs as much as 2 SDCs!!!!!

Harald Hardrada
11 July 2021 10:49 pm

Dave, this year went to 3 different patches that we worked thoroughly last year for multi oz's, (2 with 7000/SDC and one with 4500/SDC combo's) and did not pick up he anything more with the 6000.
But also to be fair, found new patch with 6000 and when finished ran 4500/evo over and also did not get anymore.
Great light machine but not a world changer.

3 users like this post: GaryO, Solid Luck, ProspectorPete

ProspectorPete
11 July 2021 10:54 pm

Fair enough Dave, I've been finding small gold every trip with it so far but I've only been going over old areas that have seen many detectors and coils over them, but I've also been hitting .22 lead bullets at 8" and marble sized bits of rust at 10 - 12" deep which those other detectors have missed, I'm very confident that if there is a +gram piece at depth then the 6000 will find it, and even more confident that when the 17x11 mono coil comes out we'll be seeing more video's of bigger deeper gold found with the 6000. Until the new 17x11 is released I'm more than happy plucking out the stuff other people have been unable to detect on so called flogged grounds.
I've even been going over areas that I have flogged with my 4500 with every coil in my kit, 8x6 Sadie, 12x8 evo, 12 evo, 14x9 evo, 15 evo, 17x11 Advantage, 18 advantage and have been pulling gold with the 6000 / 11 mono that I couldn't hit with the 4500, either because of small size at shallow or .6 - .8 at 6-8" deep.
I'm not saying it's the ants pants but I am pretty confident that other detectors would struggle to find targets after the 6000 has thoroughly been over a patch of ground.
If the new 17x11 mono coil performs as well as the 11 mono then there is so much to look forward to.

1 user likes this post: limpalot

Dave79
11 July 2021 11:21 pm

Yep, when a few new coils are developed it will be a step up from the current gpx series but for now I'll stick with my old and trusted machines.

GaryO
12 July 2021 12:30 am

Looking at the size of the holes LEFT!! And the gold found IT didn't prove much and most modern minelab PI detectors would be in the ball park to find a majority of it .

Current arsenal - Minelab Sovereign xs-2 Pro, Minelab Sterling , Fisher Goldbug2 , Minelab GPX 4500 , Homemade Banker +Yamaha pump.

1 user likes this post: Dave79

Big Johno
12 July 2021 12:07 pm

The real kicker to this story is that the old diggers were so thorough in locating all the goldfields in Australia there are no new goldfields to detect on so you had better get used to the idea that you will always be picking up what someone has missed and over time the gold size will get smaller and smaller and smaller. That process is the core of our hobby, we go to old goldfields and hope to find a few crumbs. So Minelab are aware of this and its obvious that's the market their chasing and that's where their research leads them and that's what hobby detectorists need.

2 users like this post: ProspectorPete, brucee

Deepseeker
12 July 2021 12:41 pm

One thing that has made me chuckle in the three short years I've been doing this, is how so many people so easily fall for the manufacturers claims on new products (and so often the claims made by particular users who will benefit from their sale and/or their association with said manufacturers).

One that constantly cracks me up is the term "Latest technology". Latest technology for what? Lead shot and crumbs?
Granted, there are regular photos of lovely looking nuggets coming out of WA seen on here and elsewhere. But it seems to me that the stuff isn't often very deep over that way, and there is tens of thousands of square kilometers of unsearched potential land.

If you're over on the east coast and you get your jollies searching for the rarer large deep stuff in the deeper areas of the GT, then the "latest technology" is a GPX 4500, 4800, or 5000 with a dirty great big coil on it. Or for that matter even an old modded SD. Search for footage of the late Jim Stewart swinging his 36" bundle wound "Bismark" mono and the stuff he pulled out of the ground and you'll see what I mean.

While on the subject of deep gold in deep areas, for that matter search for photos of Tim Raven, John Hider Smith, or Dare I say it and give everyone's nuts a twist- Reg Wilson. There is more than one type of gold. By that I mean more than just missed crumbs on public land flogged to death week in week out by the same "search where gold has been found before crowd" over the years with "the latest technology". What about Tertiary gold, or gold associated with contact metamorphism, reefs, etc., etc.

Not for one minute would I wish to take anything away from the finds that the guys and girls out west dig up, but until you can stick the coil of your choice on the end of your beep stick, whatever the model, I can't see anything offering you the latest technology in deep nugget detecting areas while you can't put anything bigger than a standard chip-protected coil on it neutral

Try hard not to offend. Try even harder not to be offended.

diggit
12 July 2021 04:46 pm

As I mentioned in a previously....if you have a gpx 5000 and an sdc2300 then you dont really need the 6000 but jus remember that the 6000 does the job of the 5000 and the 2300 in one lighter, fsster unit.

Sdc2300 is $4,000.
Gpx5000 is $5,000
Thats $9,000 For both units, before extras such as coils, bungees, covers, boosters, hsrnesses etc etc.

A gpx6000 is over a thousand dollars cheaper and its a superior product strsight out of the gate

One more thing, for anyone that has had shoulder or elbow injuries the 6000 is literally a Godsend as people can now detect again that may not have been able to due to the weight of 5000 etc.

Imho it doesn't matter what you swing as long as you are happy with it and confident that it will find you some yellow if you walk over it.

Last edited by diggit (12 July 2021 04:48 pm)

8 users like this post: centralvic, davent, fwdoz, ProspectorPete, limpalot, Northeast, mbasko, AUaddict

davent
12 July 2021 05:11 pm

Big Johno wrote:

The real kicker to this story is that the old diggers were so thorough in locating all the goldfields in Australia there are no new goldfields to detect on so you had better get used to the idea that you will always be picking up what someone has missed and over time the gold size will get smaller and smaller and smaller. That process is the core of our hobby, we go to old goldfields and hope to find a few crumbs. So Minelab are aware of this and its obvious that's the market their chasing and that's where their research leads them and that's what hobby detectorists need.

Not so sure about that.
It's a big country and while the old fellas found the best ground, I'm certain that there is lots of un mined or even unprospected ground that might not be as rich as what they worked, but richer than what they left behind.

15 users like this post: grubstake, Mackka, fwdoz, Harald Hardrada, diggit, ProspectorPete, tim.b, Solid Luck, limpalot, Northeast, mbasko, The geezer, numpty, brucee, geof_junk

Mackka
12 July 2021 05:50 pm

Great statement Dave.
Mackka

1 user likes this post: davent

diggit
12 July 2021 06:38 pm

davent wrote:
Big Johno wrote:

Not so sure about that.
It's a big country and while the old fellas found the best ground, I'm certain that there is lots of un mined or even unprospected ground that might not be as rich as what they worked, but richer than what they left behind.

Yes, its the hope that kills us lol lol

Last edited by diggit (12 July 2021 06:41 pm)

2 users like this post: davent, ProspectorPete

Northeast
12 July 2021 07:52 pm

diggit wrote:

Imho it doesn't matter what you swing as long as you are happy with it and confident that it will find you some yellow if you walk over it.

100% diggit. Far too much palava about 'mine is better than yours'. If you love what you have, you're on a winner! party

9 users like this post: diggit, fwdoz, ProspectorPete, davent, Solid Luck, mbasko, The geezer, numpty, Syndyne

Solid Luck
13 July 2021 01:28 pm

Northeast wrote:
diggit wrote:

100% diggit. Far too much palava about 'mine is better than yours'. If you love what you have, you're on a winner! party

Best points so far.

I had a 4500 and liked it a lot but I love the 6000. No harness or cable. Can pull over somewhere and start detecting in 2 minutes if I want to.
Light and easy to swing for longer periods.
I'm not too fussed about finding yellow but I'll take it when I do. This is my hobby and I love getting out in the bush whenever possible. I'm no expert but it is a very easy machine to use.

As for depth, I've had a couple of screaming targets at good depth. This one here was down at least 50-60 cm's and took me ages to dig up next to the tree. I thought it was at surface level at the start. 1 hour and a smoke later I got the bugger. That screwdriver is 34 cm long.

1626143201_20210710_121043.jpg

1626143214_20210710_121024.jpg

"Courage and Patience"
My Mothers Daily Chant

5 users like this post: grubstake, mbasko, ProspectorPete, Windar, AUaddict