WA Western Australia Information and Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goldtalk Leonora said:
Rockhunter62 said:
Goldtalk Leonora said:
G'day mlee,

You don't need to be paying for areas to prospect. Download 'Australian Geology Travel Maps' onto your phone.....pick a 'blue' tenement (pending) East of Leonora and go for it. If your not tech minded, then go to the mines dept here in town...ask them to print out a map.....pick a 'blue' tenement (pending) East of town and go for it! As long as you have your WA Miners Right your good to go. Also...if you stay at the caravan park I can almost guarantee that you'll meet up with someone and head out together.

You forgot,

To contact the pastorilist (station owner or manager) and let them know where you want to go. :D

Cheers

Doug

didnt forget....but was just giving the absolute basics to get him started. No, you do not have to contact the pastoralist....but it's a good courtesy.

PM me if you are interested in coming to Cue. Phil

mlee76 said:
Doesnt seem to be email addresses in the profiles.

Spend a little time browsing the Prospecting Australia site and comment on anything of interest. You'll soon have 10 posts and then you can hit MESSAGE button below somebodies avatar.

Hello people.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows somewhere around Kal/Menzies/Leonora where my girl friend and I can pay someone to take us prospecting (with detectors) for a day.

The one company i found in kalgoorlie said they're not operating at the moment.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Goldtalk Leonora said:
G'day mlee,

You don't need to be paying for areas to prospect. Download 'Australian Geology Travel Maps' onto your phone.....pick a 'blue' tenement (pending) East of Leonora and go for it. If your not tech minded, then go to the mines dept here in town...ask them to print out a map.....pick a 'blue' tenement (pending) East of town and go for it! As long as you have your WA Miners Right your good to go. Also...if you stay at the caravan park I can almost guarantee that you'll meet up with someone and head out together.

That is good to know. I want to travel over near Sandstone, Leonora or Cue and detect, but thought the only places were Council blocks, or 40e a piece of ground. That takes some time to work out a good place, and the month to await auth.
I'll check out the blue tenement info some more. :D :pickshovel:

If you don't want to pay for the app (though I have it and it is worth the money for the overlays and the offline GPS), Geoview is the WA Dept of Mines and Petroleum webpage tool and is good for doing homework to check spots, underlying bed rock, tenements and identifying unallocated crown land [cadastre is the option on the page].

A question for the group.
I've been reading a number of books, like Doug Stone's Metal Detecting for Gold in Australia, and some others, where the writer talks about driving miles and miles in the bush, from one Jump Up to the next looking for those telltale signs of gold, and searching for gold there.
BUT......
Nowadays we seem to be stuck with only searching on Pending Tenements, or even less ground sometimes, on E40.

Has anyone else just gone for a drive, (maybe even without detector), find some good spots like to old blokes did, and then get back into phone coverage to check if they are available?
I reckon that you can't even do that, cos just about everywhere is locked up.

A question for the group.
I've been reading a number of books, like Doug Stone's Metal Detecting for Gold in Australia, and some others, where the writer talks about driving miles and miles in the bush, from one Jump Up to the next looking for those telltale signs of gold, and searching for gold there.
BUT......
Nowadays we seem to be stuck with only searching on Pending Tenements, or even less ground sometimes, on E40.

Has anyone else just gone for a drive, (maybe even without detector), find some good spots like to old blokes did, and then get back into phone coverage to check if they are available?
I reckon that you can't even do that, cos just about everywhere is locked up.
I use the Happy prospector app. It works offline using GPS. Update tenement data list before leaving home. Tick GPS and tracking and it plots your course thru every tenement you drive on, so you know its status is while driving on it. If you see nice ground while driving thru a pending, stop and have a swing. If its ground on a live E, take coords and apply for 40E.

I use the Happy prospector app. It works offline using GPS. Update tenement data list before leaving home. Tick GPS and tracking and it plots your course thru every tenement you drive on, so you know its status is while driving on it. If you see nice ground while driving thru a pending, stop and have a swing. If its ground on a live E, take coords and apply for 40E.
Thanks Kingswood, for that info.
I haven't seen Happy Prospector but had worked out how to bring Tenements from GeoView into my Hema. Sounds like an easier idea.

I use two apps here; Australian geology travel maps (https://trilobite.solutions/maps/) and GOLDtracker (http://www.goldtracker.net.au/gold/). Both are pretty good, but for usability and the offline GPS tracking feature to find your way back, I rate the Australian geology travel maps app way better. GOLDtracker is good if you ever want to see the developer's gold rating for a specific graticular block (makes it quick work if you know you want to apply for a 40E permit).

Now that sounds much simpler.

Latest posts