Detector Problems

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,looking for advice,my old GP Extreme has spat the dummy,was making weird noises,controls except tone&volume not responding,replaced battery but no luck.Hoping for any ideas on DIY or where/who I could take it to.Any advice appreciated.

Thank you Nuggetbuster,will contact him asap,need to start process/get advice before I open control box myself :eek:,much appreciated

Pretty sure some detectors can do a factory reset, maybe have a look in the booklet to see if it's an option, cause that's where you'll find how to do it. :D

This came up top on the search
1625751648_screenshot_2021-07-08-23-39-38.jpg

Link to search page

http://www.google.com/search?q=mine...e&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-hp#spf=1625750699774

Thanx Silver though my detector is old and analogue,think it is a physical thing or voltage ect. Have sent email to AU man but he is in WA so will have to wait for his reply.Can't stop trying to fix myself cos I'm an impatient psycho with tech & mechanics ]:D

Not a loose cable conection at all hey.... and don't electronic parts have a particular smell when they burn out... get your nose and give it a sniff... otherwise, migjt someone have a control box by itself for sale (or a whole unit)... then you will have some spares.
You could run a wanted add on here to see if anyone on here has one they wantbto part with.

There is a person i think he is in Dunolly he is the mechanic or something like that i will try to find out more info today regards john

bugalug said:
Hi,looking for advice,my old GP Extreme has spat the dummy,was making weird noises,controls except tone&volume not responding,replaced battery but no luck.Hoping for any ideas on DIY or where/who I could take it to.Any advice appreciated.

I'm no whizz with detectors or electronics, and this may sound obvious but.... Have you tried a different coil first? I only say this because the weird noises and nothing responding except volume was exactly what my 5000 did until I changed coils and found it was the coil that was faulty.

-D.S.

Thanx for all the replies and help from everyone :Y: Have actually found fault,Deepseeker you were very close,didn't have a spare coil but found broken cable that was shorting on shaft near coil,finally multi meter has earnt its keep.Do have to replace and get spares and hopefully some mods but is a little used clean machine and intend to use my beginners luck card[again]!.Thanx again for your inputs

bugalug said:
Thanx for all the replies and help from everyone :Y: Have actually found fault,Deepseeker you were very close,didn't have a spare coil but found broken cable that was shorting on shaft near coil,finally multi meter has earnt its keep.Do have to replace and get spares and hopefully some mods but is a little used clean machine and intend to use my beginners luck card[again]!.Thanx again for your inputs
Glad you got it sorted.
Thankfully I made it back before the country imploded again.. :bomb:

Cheers Mick

Latest posts