How to dry fine gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've just put a couple of pans worth of concentrate through my new blue bowl, and I gotta say that I'm impressed with the results - a few little pieces just big enough to pick up with fine-point tweezers, and a nice little collar of really fine stuff around the base of the discharge cone.

Optimism is running high now, as I've got about 6 x 10-litre buckets of sluice spoil to pan and put through the bowl.

I will pick up the fine stuff with a snuffer, but the next question is - how to dry the fine gold so I can bottle it.

Thought of using a bit of absorbent cloth, etc, but concerned that some of the fine stuff might snuggle down and not want to come back out.

Is there a tried and proven method of drying small quantities of fine gold without losing any in the process?

Steal the missus non stick frypan then tip it onto a folded bit of paper to put it back in a vial... just don't get caught with the frypan!!!! :lol:

Sounds like a plan....many thanks.

We've got a frypan in the camper-trailer.....I'll just tell her that was always its intended purpose :)

I just put it in my gold pan and sit it by the window until it is dry.
It takes a little longer to dry this way but I don't have to come up with a excuse for using the kitchen frypan
:goldpan: :goldnugget:

Get as much water out of the snuffer bottle, take off the top and leave it sitting beside the stove to dry off the water.

Cheers,
Megsy

We always just chuck it in the saucepan and gently cook it.
As said above, tip it into a folded piece of paper and into the jar.

All this talk about non-stick cookware got me thinking.

Found this online - might grab a set next time I'm in the big smoke.....should work nicely sitting on top of the combustion heater.

Not sure how flexible the non-stick coating is, but I might even be able to form a small pouring spout into one of them.

Probably a more appropriate size (120mm diameter) than a frypan considering the amount of fine gold I've got at the moment :)

1623876598_baking_pans_small.jpg

I have a couple of small stainless steel pans , that I use as gold pans . Got them from one of those wholesalers that sell hospitality stuff , I think . They use them as pie dishes.

Hi Geehi, in my experience you gotta be a bit careful with those cheap non-stick pans, they get scratched up easily and gold can get caught in deeper scratches if it's fine enough

Latest posts