Lpg gas light VS LED

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've still got my little yellow 1kg? gas bottle with gas mantle on top. It was high tech back in the '80's when I used to go fishing a lot :)

I must say though, there were many times when I tripped in thick undergrowth and knocked it, ruining the mantle and had to tie a new one on in the dark. A couple of times I even managed to crack or smash the toughened glass surround.

I've got an LED torch and an LED headtorch now to wear on my head. Much easier to do things hands-free, and a much brighter light.
I was happy to have it a couple of years ago when I finished detecting late in the day in Dunolly up a rough dirt track, when I realized on my way out that I had a flat tyre.
By the time I had the car up and the wheel off it was complete darkness. The LED headtorch did a great job of letting me get the wheel changed :Y:

brendomac said:
Where did you get those ridge Runner? I can't tell the size of them from the pic. Also, how do you use them if you bought a box, do you just spread them around your camp?

Also, I like the sound of the gas lights

I bought them from Amazon,

they have 2 holes in them so you can use wire or string to hang them up, They came with screws and raw plugs,

What I did was add 2 strips of 25mm Magnetic stick on Tape to the backs of them so I can put one on each side of the Vehicle,

the ones I put on the front and the sides I set to Automatic so they go off after a few seconds but the One put at the rear of the vehicle I set it to the low power setting and it stays on all the time,

They have 3 settings 1)= if something breaks the beam it comes on and after a short while it goes off, In Mode 2) = 2 brightness modes, When you first turn it On it will be bright and then after a short while it then goes to about Half Power and stays On, If something breaks the Beam it will come on Bright and when nothing is detected it will drop back down to Half power again until the next time the beam gets broken,

In the third Mode They just come on at half power and stay on which is easily bright enough to light up a 5m X 5m Room or bigger in a Power blackout, ( I just tried it ), To get to this Mode Press the tiny button for about 3 seconds and when it flashes or comes on Press it Twice more and then it will flash Bright and then go straight to Half power and it will provide Light for well over 12 hours and in the day they charge them selves, I don't know how long the batteries will power them for because I have never run one flat, But I did use them for over 12 hours one night when the power went out, I bought 4 boxes of them which contains 2 lights that way I would always have backups, They are also good for security in anyone is prowling around your camp. And If you press the button once more it will turn it off.

They Measure L 170mm x W 100mm x H 84 mm; 160 Grams You should get them cheap In Aus,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07MPW4H78/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope that helps,

J.

Mike678 said:
Just had a look , you can get similar ones on E-bay under security led lights .

2 X 100 LEDS $18 1 X 212 LEDS $21 Free postage .

Yeah there are a heap of different ones out there I just saw these ones had the 2500mah Batteries and grabbed em, Plus they are IP 65 waterproof, Others were too big or too small, In the house they put out really good light and under street lighting they are not too bad either, I would think they would be great out in the bush where it is completely dark,

J.

They would be a good light for a shower at night . Were I was it was always very windy during the day and a bit cool .

A lot of people don't know what the IP ratings are or mean, so I thought I'd add to RR's post, so here are some of them.
1602830529_ip_ratings.jpg

The explanation is;

IP = Ingress Protection
6 = Or the first digit stands for Intrusion protection, which ranges from 0 = No protection to 6 which is totally dust tight. (or mechanical proof rating including keeping fingers out :) )
5 = Or the second digit stands for Moisture protection, which ranges from 0 to 9 (or water/moisture protection)

Of note - most vehicle standards for water immersion use IP69. (standard ISO 20653:2013 Road Vehicles - Degrees of protection).

So things like lightbars, spotties, winches etc need to be up there in their IP rating.

condor22 said:
I had to replace 2 of the el cheapo reading lights in my caravan, so I did all 4. The new ones are similar in operation to the main lights in the roof of which there are 3. One above the bed, one above the lounge and one in the ensuite.

They are all double switched in that they are bright white LED, with the second switch position being what they call a subdued blue night light. Not a problem in the cooler weather either is ok as I don't get insect problems. But with a little warmer temps and insects around, the Blue night light function attracts insects worse that the white light.
Similar to the bug zappers, I know.

I have a LED strip light (canvas encased) with a dimmer and a duel colour LED, white and yellow. The yellow light works great when insects are around and let's face it, an LPG light inside a van aint a great idea, lol.

I'm yet to find a reading type light with the white/yellow combination.

Google Rosco of Lee cine gels, then get either Sun or full straw and cover your light, these will give you the yellow/orange colour and also kill all the uv light transmission. You'll be bug free provided there is no light spill.

I primarily detect between Anzac Day (roughly) and mid October, using the caravan, so most of the time insects in the VIC winter aren't a problem at night. I found that if I put a couple of solar lights on the awning support bars, any insects get attracted to them and don't come inside the van anyway.

I generally only put one LED light on at night to conserve battery as I'm either watching TV or using the laptop. I put a main light or more downlights on only when I need to.

Don't need to light up like Crystal Palace, lol. When outside I tend to use a headlight so I get light where I want to see.

Tents or campers with outside cooking are a whole different ball game, but I'm not likely to go back to that style of camping. A Glamping we will go, Hi Ho Hi Ho, lol.

RecPro is awesome. It lights up the whole campsite and barely uses any battery power. It did take me a few minutes to install, simply because hiding the wire is more difficult than I expected. The quality and clarity of the little camper lights are great! I left them attached to the lights. The kids really enjoy hanging campsite flare!

Samantha Nichols said:
RecPro is awesome. It lights up the whole campsite and barely uses any battery power. It did take me a few minutes to install, simply because hiding the wire is more difficult than I expected. The quality and clarity of the little camper lights are great! I left them attached to the lights. The kids really enjoy hanging campsite flare!

SN, do you have a picture of the RecPro ?? :Y:

I dont use gas lanterns because they burn through alot of gas, are delicate in transit, they cant be used in a tent, they produce a rather low output of light (300-500lumens if that)
I do miss that sound of them however, it takes me back to the old days before technology intraped us all. :D
I use a ~IP67+ 400ish lumens high CRI led lantern that runs off 4x 18650 3330mah li-ion cells. The cells charge off usb input but are fully accessible. Warm white down below 3000kelvins. It sits on a ultra lite weight camera tripod and can sit on pretty much any incline. Its built tuff not like the camping store generic lanterns.

Not much you do imo about bugs, there is always a bug for a particular light.

Latest posts