Barrington tops area to get saphires and gems please

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I am pretty new to this but a real worker when in the rivers I work from wak up to dark even then im in still in the lights, I want to go to barrington tops and find an area or more than one areas to find saphires and gems diamonds and rubbies, please message me private if you dont want to put it up here , I am doing it for fun and to find the big ones to improve my life, I need your help, you only live once and as I have cancer now I am not going to be around much longer, I want to find them now. Thank you all. :gemstone:

Sapphires are reported to have been obtained from Holocene alluvial deposits in the creeks draining Barrington and Gloucester Tops. The sapphires are mainly blue, but many reddish to mauve gems are present. Some of the red gems have been positively identified as rubies.

- MacNevin and Holmes 1980.

What is not reported is that the gems are mainly sub 3mm size and no large gems have ever been recorded.

Another deposit at Nundle, on the forestry roadside have yielded blue and green gems and again the size was small. I did screen one small ovoid gem that was a pristine green and approx 4mm. I think I still have it in a tin in the cutting room, but it will yield nothing. I have never found a report of large gemstone sapphires.

Diamonds have been recorded at several locations in clay deposits but nothing more than industrial worth as in the Bricklay (Brick Clay) Creek Muluerindie Deap Lead - Field work by Loudon, Cooney and Bowman.

You will not get rich here off sapphire and diamond though you may come upon sizeable nuggets of gold in quartz nodules in creeks and outcrops. It is rugged country and there are some wild people wandering those areas.

Glen Innes to Inverell would be a better location for specking and washing larger gems and the best blues you will ever see.

Thank you, so much for this info, being rich from its great but fun to look too, Im kindof hooked on it, I went to Glenninness 5 years ago at billabong blue and found alot in there creek, I also found alot anywhere just pulled over dugg near a creek and found lots of spinels, I love it and never wanted to leave, then broke upwith partner so I want people to go with now so Im not bored etc, thanks. :goldnugget:

Catherinecrystals777 said:
Thank you, so much for this info, being rich from its great but fun to look too, Im kindof hooked on it, I went to Glenninness 5 years ago at billabong blue and found alot in there creek, I also found alot anywhere just pulled over dugg near a creek and found lots of spinels, I love it and never wanted to leave, then broke upwith partner so I want people to go with now so Im not bored etc, thanks. :goldnugget:

I want a fossicking partner!!!!!

There are plenty of unattached fossickers around, usually find them in lapidary clubs, pubs and hanging around rock shops. Take time out to travel to as many gem shows as you can, they are a venue of information and 'meet and greet' activities.

Just because you have cancer ... does not mean it is fatal ... I Had cancer 11+ yrs ago and told 3% chance of making it through - hack and slash then 4mnths of radiation .... still 2 feet and heart beat ... keep positive CCC777

Need to talk PM me
Cheers

Croft Knoll State Forest - fossicking

Wondering if anyone has done fossicking in this state forest Near Walcha NSW. Maps I look at show it as being in a fossicking zone if have a permit.

Planning to fossicking near there next week & would love to know if anyone has had successful visit there.

Thanks

Beth

Latest posts