Detecting In Copper/Gold Porphyry Area?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I live in CW NSW and theres been a lot of activity near Yeoval/Wellington/Baldry lately. Its a gold copper porphyry area, the mining companys internet info says. I dont really understand it all but have tried Googling.
Anyway, Ive learned that gold in porphyry has a lot of rock waste and the gold is spread through a LOT of rock. I think.
What Im asking is, is there any point gold detecting in these areas (on dry land, on my block) or will the gold be too deep in solid rock rather than in the soil near the surface.
Im really interested but dont want to buy a gold detector if theres no point. I dont have money to throw away.
Thanks for your thoughts

What is the surface like? Is there broken rock of various sizes littering the ground? If so, would be worth checking it out.

Thanks. Not really. There's loam/clay soil on my block. My block is quite high compared to neighbours. Does that matter, do you think?
I can think of other places nearby that are like that though.
The deeds to my block do make reference to the rockiness of the block (it's only a large house block - half acre)

I wish I could hire a detector. I thought I saw an ad for hiring one in Orange, but I can't seem to find that anymore when I google.

Thanks. Do I need a certain type of detector? Has to be a gold detector, Im guessing? (Heavily mineralised soil? I could have this completely wrong ? Im pretty clueless, but Ive been watching a lot of youtube and reading on here to try to learn ?)
Will a Monster 1000 be good enough?
Thanks

Gold prospecting with a metal detector is something we do as a hobby. For those who buy a metal detector to make money usually come away disappointed. If you intend to continue to search for gold as a recreational activity then a good gold detector is worth having. A good second hand Minelab detector is usually better value than a cheap new one.

Yeah, I realise I probably sound mercenary. To be honest, Im not really an outdoorsy sort of person and I dont want to scour my local area. Id just be happy doing it on my block and with my friend on her block, but neither of us can afford to throw money away if theres zero chance. A small chance is fine.
Wed just like to check it before we move in the years down the track. We dont want to hear a year later that someone else found gold on our blocks because we were too lazy to look.
But youre correct that Im not really after a long-term hobby; summer is too hot and winter is too cold, and spring and autumn seem to be much shorter than they used to be!
Thanks for the advice

rent a high end detector and see how you go :Y: :goldnugget:

give a prospecting shop a ring for prices.

about $55 a day for a top end detector or $35 a day for a sdc, that's a great unit and easy to use.

pretty sure you will need a deposit though.

bet you get hooked if you have ago :)

Thanks, Numpty.

We can definitely afford that ? (Were not totally broke - just dont want to waste thousands ?)

I bet youre right - I bet a few dedicated hobbyists started off like me ?

Now, I have to find a hire shop west of the bBlue Mountains..... I swear I saw something about a shop in Orange on here once. Maybe its closed? Does anyone know?

Thanks, and hope everyones not too stressed out by the latest restrictions ??

IF you purchase a used Minelab, check the properties out and then resell if nothing is found, you wont lose much money at all, if any.
The resale value on Minelab GPX series and SDC detectors is very good.

Maybe there is someone on here that would go over yours and your friend's properties with their machine for you both.... they may even show you the ropes and give ya's a burl so you know how it all works. And if you find a kings ransom you might be kind to them... if nothing found nothing lost, but friends made.
:goldnugget: :money:

silver said:
Maybe there is someone on here that would go over yours and your friend's properties with their machine for you both.... they may even show you the ropes and give ya's a burl so you know how it all works. And if you find a kings ransom you might be kind to them... if nothing found nothing lost, but friends made.
:goldnugget: :money:

This seems like the smartest option....get someone off the forum to detect it for a %....then keep an eye on them!!

No risk/outlay to you.

Latest posts