Best place to Sell a Gold Detector

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Any ideas as to where is the best place to sell a Gold Detector?

Gumtree, or Ebay. Ebay seems expensive for fees. Or should i simply post here? Ebay is more trustworthy. I tried buying a GPZ a few years ago on gumtree and found people very difficult to close the transaction, so gave up with it even as a buyer.

I currently own a GPZ, going out for a few more outings, (including introducing a newbie and training him) then possibly thinking about packing it away for sale.

Reason: Not having enough time to get out to the fields with family life, might be easier in another 10-15 years, then i could revisit the hobby and i don't want to keep a detector that might be out of date and heavy, considering where minelab are going with detector weights e.g. GPX6000. I will miss it, but getting out once a month for a 4 hour swing, just isn't enough time for me, when i do it, i enjoy it too much.

Any ideas or thoughts would be helpful.

Why not advertise it in the classifieds here, pretty confident all regular participating members are very trustworthy and I would/have no issue selling or buying from any of them, on the forum here you have a know potential customer base, as apposed to Gumtree or Ebay where you have no idea where they are from or if their feedback score is legit. Any mugs on this forum usually get weeded out pretty quickly and don't stay here long.
Just my 2c worth.

If you want to squeeze all the juice out then Facebook marketplace be just be prepared to wade through countless dead ends, but the advert has the reach to get a higher number in the pocket.

Here is a good place though for informed buyers so long as the pricing is fair.

Thats been my experience at least, the easiest transactions Ive done have been through here.

Gumtree, or Ebay. Ebay seems expensive for fees. Or should i simply post here? Ebay is more trustworthy. I tried buying a GPZ a few years ago on gumtree and found people very difficult to close the transaction, so gave up with it even as a buyer.

When i sell on ebay i allow 12% for fees on ebay and paypal take there commission as well.

When i sell on ebay i allow 12% for fees on ebay and paypal take there commission as well.

When you buy or sell here you have a better chance of striking a trustworthy buyer. We've bought and sold a couple of detectors here and felt comfortable doing the deal.

I currently own a GPZ, going out for a few more outings, (including introducing a newbie and training him) then possibly thinking about packing it away for sale.

Reason: Not having enough time to get out to the fields with family life, might be easier in another 10-15 years, then i could revisit the hobby and i don't want to keep a detector that might be out of date and heavy, considering where minelab are going with detector weights e.g. GPX6000. I will miss it, but getting out once a month for a 4 hour swing, just isn't enough time for me, when i do it, i enjoy it too much.

Any ideas or thoughts would be helpful.
Hi DetectorMan, here's 1 buyers perspective, (me) on purchasing a detector from gumtree or ebay... I finally purchased one after a couple of months of nearly buying others many times over, but at the last minute decided not go ahead with the purchase.. Why.? thoughts of its a scam, im going to be ripped off, i dont trust the seller, all of which had me pulling out of the purchase at the last minute, its not the place of where you are advertising to sell that is the problem, its the buyers mindset because it is a lot of money being transferred to an unknown and the only way to overcome this is to be lucky enough to find a purchaser close enough to come and see it.. as for what i ended up doing, talked to the interstate seller many times, got all the info on him as i could and decided he was honest sincere and trustworthy, paid express post, fully insured, finger crossed toes crossed and hoped for the best... so after that long winded explanation. the answer as to where to place an ad is "as close to the buyer as possible".! :)

Agreed the safest would be via a forum such as this, but you can also sell by the other methods provided you take sensible precautions. You can even sell on Facebook via their Marketplace groups. That is also free and has the advantage in that it is advertised to potential buyers in your local area and I have found it an easy method of selling and buying unwanted household items locally. I recently bought a second hand detector and a camper that way.
Whatever method you choose, ensure that you establish a personal contact by voice with the potential buyer by phone. A genuine buyer would have no issues with that but a scammer would, as it provides a tracer to their activities. It also gives the seller and buyer a chance to establish a rapport and sort out any further questions such as provenance, warranty, extras etc before a final sale is agreed.
If a large sum is involved verifiable instant bank transfer such as Bendigo Bank's OSKO is to be preferred also.
I would certainly not give my address or banking details out to anyone in advance of that verification whether the buyer be found through Gumtree or Marketplace or any other means.

Last edited:
EBay is best for the buyer but a rip off for the seller. Some buyers work the ebay system against the seller knowing that it's the sellers responsibility to pay for the return freight so buyer can end up getting their money back and have the product too. I wouldn't sell anything of value on eBay anymore (I used to all the time)

Gumtree is great as long as the buyer and seller can get together for the transaction, but there's a small risk/worry of being robbed both parties feel the same way.
For the buyer If thinking of paying thousands of dollars into someone's bank account then hope they send it 😳 OMG been there done that NEVER AGAIN! Look at it this way as a seller would you post $1,000+ items and the buyer will pay you when they get it? It's the same level of stress either way!
I have bought and sold items like Z 7000's & gold on Gumtree never had a problem with meeting up for exchanges but the thought was there.

Facebook is much like Gumtree from the buyer seller standpoint so don't think the people on Facebook are different to the one's on Gumtree they're the same people!
Search function on Facebook absolutely sucks as do the results of searches.
If you have a problem, Facebook will not be there to help you, they don't care if you get scammed, conned or ripped off! They even take payments from con artists so they can advertise their scams - like the minelab 3030 for $49 or the Honda generator for $69
Facebook scams and cons are rife

It comes down to where you live, if you're in a country area its harder to find buyers that want what you are selling, in a city more people = more interest.

I would use all of them but with caution
Example I currently have a new GPZ19" coil on eBay for $1150 its also on Gumtree for $999 difference in price is eBay's rip off fees, I'll be in Clermont in about 2 weeks if anyone wants it contact through Gumtree.

If you find an interested buyer try and make sure that they are close- as in suburb to be really safe. Make sure you have their contact number and at Least first name. I do my buys using direct bank transfer using bsb: Acct number Acct use by date--etc.

If you find an interested buyer try and make sure that they are close- as in suburb to be really safe. Make sure you have their contact number and at Least first name. I do my buys using direct bank transfer using bsb: Acct number Acct use by date--etc.
nice Jaros, and if your selling online and the prospective purchaser cant view the actual item, be as transparent as you possibly can be.. home number mob number even a work number if poss and your full name.. At the end of the day, the seller who returns calls and messages and doesn't get frustrated with the buyer "umming and arring" will most likely get the sale... (no more than a personal experience. ) can't find colour now I'm the one who's frustrated..

A little bit of trust a history of forum entries from them prior to the sale and gut feeling makes a big difference. I haven't had a prob since buying and selling on the forum. Long time members will agree that you have to have a matter of trust when either buying or selling

Latest posts