3 Hunt for Gold Cache Sydney

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1583644104_nla.news-page000008682650-nla.news-article93984005-l3-d54f6dab469bf0393c0a63eb6832d887-0001.jpg

:money: :money:
Digga :pickshovel:

Some of my ancestors were Thorns and Cowans all from around Liverpool. Thorns and Cowans all descended from convicts. Trust me there is no treasure.

Hell of a valuable vineyard to sell for 30,000 sovereigns in 1914 (15 million pounds). Since interned Germans were later simply released, you would hardly think they would have forgotten to collect it. And how would anyone know, someone who saw them bury it? :playful:

goldierocks said:
Hell of a valuable vineyard to sell for 30,000 sovereigns in 1914 (15 million pounds). Since interned Germans were later simply released, you would hardly think they would have forgotten to collect it. And how would anyone know, someone who saw them bury it? :playful:
Think you are on the money. Would you just forget about it or would you quietly recover your sovs?

Good story anyway
HH

The only treasure would be the money Thorn and Cowan and Jackson would get from (the one born every minute) investors.

Blocker said:
Some of my ancestors were Thorns and Cowans all from around Liverpool. Thorns and Cowans all descended from convicts. Trust me there is no treasure.

I did find all these men on Ancestry all to the locations they mention so that part is true. As for the gold, i cant say, they got the idea from somewhere in order to form s syndicate to search, ofcourse it could just be a money making ruse, but looking at old parish maps there sure seems to be lot of vineyard locations around the area.

goldierocks said:
Not all German interns where released back into society alot of them where shipped back home during and after the war.
I also did come across an old Yineyard on a period Parish map, that is now part of the expanded Holsworthy barracks. maybe another reason why the couldnt return?

DiggaJM said:
goldierocks said:
Not all German interns where released back into society alot of them where shipped back home during and after the war.
I also did come across an old Yineyard on a period Parish map, that is now part of the expanded Holsworthy barracks. maybe another reason why the couldnt return?
Some were, but probably not many Australians. For example, 70 Australians from the large Holsworthy base were deported at the end of the war. Those deported were mostly British or other nationalities. Given their treatment, many might have been happy to leave. Not a great part of our history.

Pretty sure the story was in gold gem and treasure magazine... might have been in a special edition.

Here's something sorta the same

Reprinted here as research
All credit to GG&T
1623758886_screenshot_2021-06-15-22-07-04.jpg

1623758984_screenshot_2021-06-15-22-03-32.jpg