You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

diggit
18 May 2021 09:48 am

In the traditional stock market s there is a phenomenon called 'Sell in May and go Away' where holders dump large positions, taking profits, in May which negatively affects many stock prices in the short term, 6 months, before many of the same folks rebuy in November.

With crypto becoming more mainstream I've wondered, for some months now, will the crypto markets suffer the same behaviour from new crypto investors who have earned their investing stripes in the traditional financial markets.

.As we know, crypto is a different beast altogether but will we see some of the same phenomena over the coming weeks?

With many predicting the top of this market cycle to come in September the traditional 'sell in May and go Away' strategy would far from optimise any profit taking in the crypto slave if indeed a top arrives in September 2021.

I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of crypto Hoddlers and traditional investors on whether and why they believe the 'sell in May and go Away' strategy will impact crypto markets moving forwards.

Thoughts Please?

Last edited by diggit (18 May 2021 09:48 am)

1 user likes this post: goody2shoes

Mike678
18 May 2021 10:21 am

Got none to sell .......

New hat !

Smoky bandit
18 May 2021 10:54 am

I'll hold on to my 12 million Shib.
As I'm going to be a MILLIONAIRE within the next 6 months perfect playful

No pain No gain..

3 users like this post: goody2shoes, Danny13, Mackka

BigWave
18 May 2021 12:23 pm

IT's very true that our Winter months don't generally gain more than ~1%, as opposed to Summer months ~5%, but what else to get into?
Bonds are pretty crappy and cash near zero.
I'm a total zero with cryptos - too risky for a retiree like me, but I'l like to play - just a little.
There's also short term capital gains to consider - holding shares for >12 months reduces capital gains by 50%.
This is pretty significant!
Then there's the dividends to consider.
I bought in a few months after the recent crash, and am up over 33% plus dividends (which are improving - particularly XBKs)
For me - I'll hold (or even buy).

GPX-4500, GPX-6000 & Direction Finding Daughter

3 users like this post: goody2shoes, dam it, diggit

JakeofallTrades
18 May 2021 02:21 pm

I think your nailed it diggitor at the very least onto something,will be interesting to see if May next year if Crypto take a hit

1 user likes this post: diggit

Danny13
18 May 2021 02:25 pm

diggit wrote:

In the traditional stock market s there is a phenomenon called 'Sell in May and go Away' where holders dump large positions, taking profits, in May which negatively affects many stock prices in the short term, 6 months, before many of the same folks rebuy in November.

With crypto becoming more mainstream I've wondered, for some months now, will the crypto markets suffer the same behaviour from new crypto investors who have earned their investing stripes in the traditional financial markets.

.As we know, crypto is a different beast altogether but will we see some of the same phenomena over the coming weeks?

With many predicting the top of this market cycle to come in September the traditional 'sell in May and go Away' strategy would far from optimise any profit taking in the crypto slave if indeed a top arrives in September 2021.

I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of crypto Hoddlers and traditional investors on whether and why they believe the 'sell in May and go Away' strategy will impact crypto markets moving forwards.

Thoughts Please?

Yeah agreed , but its no normal year - tech stocks under pressure due to inflation but your financial , industrial and resources stocks are back in fashion. Maybe switch out of tech growth stock and put some into crypto? If we all jump onto the shibu bandwagon , i guess we all will never need to detect for our milk anymore hey.

GPX5000, CTX3030, Sovereign GT garrett pointer, harness.

3 users like this post: Smoky bandit, OldGT, diggit

Wishfull
18 May 2021 09:45 pm

This year is not normal your right. People are trying to get money anyway they can after last years disaster.

1996 Garret Scorpion gold stinger, Minelab SDC2300, Equanox 800, Detecnix wader Li pinpointer, home made pick, 750 mm Walco pick, understanding wife, most of the time.

2 users like this post: Danny13, Greenhornet_au

Keitzy
19 May 2021 12:19 am

There’s lots of profit selling on crypto’s atm.

…. Personally, I’ll be buying more as the selling, and stupid elon pump the price down a bit. Itl recover, sell on good gains and continue the cycle.
No month will dictate my strategy, only what the markets doing….and with crypto I’ve found, with profit taking and sell offs, the dip it creates is soon replaced with bulls and the price is up again.
I don’t see anything of a sell in May stay away type cycle happening in crypto …for now smile we

diggit
20 May 2021 01:18 am

Whatever the reason there is a massive dump underway right as we speak!

90% of coins are getting smashed hard.

1 user likes this post: Smoky bandit

Smoky bandit
20 May 2021 06:00 am

Its a0 see of Red numbers this morning

No pain No gain..

Tathradj
20 May 2021 09:38 am

I reckon Smoky.

It was like it last night.

A couple of HiBankers inc. accessories, , QED, 4500, SDC2300, Gt1600,
Aldi, A Prado 4x4, A'Van Cruiseliner and a heck of a lot of determination.
Most importantly, A lot of Good Honest Friends. Maybe one day Lucky.

1 user likes this post: Smoky bandit

LostNTired
20 May 2021 09:54 am

Yep, a small few are holding gains now, but there's some big falls out there last 24 hours. Don't panic sell, hold onto them.

Livin' everyday like it's my last...because you just don't know when it will be...

Tathradj
20 May 2021 10:10 am

When it all bounces back there would be some nice gains to be made.

A couple of HiBankers inc. accessories, , QED, 4500, SDC2300, Gt1600,
Aldi, A Prado 4x4, A'Van Cruiseliner and a heck of a lot of determination.
Most importantly, A lot of Good Honest Friends. Maybe one day Lucky.

1 user likes this post: LostNTired

Greenhornet_au
20 May 2021 02:17 pm

Elon

US tax time

China rumours

Leveraged buyers clawing back what they can..

= a sea of red, blood in the streets etc

HOLD ON for a bumpy ride boys..

Still looking for Captain Feather-swords treasure chest !
Won't be long now - 3240+ holes and STILL counting. (bloody ring-pulls and tabs) LOL

3 users like this post: Tathradj, Dihusky, diggit

Dihusky
20 May 2021 05:11 pm

Get's tough watching when the super fund drops with a few too many zeros cry

Always knew it was going to be a bumpy road, buy some more and watch it go higher this time smile

4 users like this post: Keitzy, HippyProspecting, Tathradj, goody2shoes

diggit
23 May 2021 06:14 pm

Looks like people are selling in May

Keitzy
23 May 2021 06:23 pm

Retail investors panic selling

diggit
23 May 2021 06:54 pm

Prices are down but I'm not seeing a bear market just yet.

diggit
08 June 2021 11:20 pm

I can only surmise that the early euphoria has been replaced by panic lol lol Capitulation must be nearby

Then we'll have a clearer picture of where the market is at.

2 users like this post: Smoky bandit, Wishfull

Ded Driver
09 June 2021 10:46 am

Its a good time to accumulate shares that pay reliable dividends

APLA member, GPX4000, modded SD2100, XTerra705, GM1000, Whites MXT Pro, Nokta Pointer, sP01 Enhancer, Garmin GPSMAP 64S, kti PLB, a map, all sorts of coils & a cupla buckets full of hope & enthusiasm

Greenhornet_au
09 June 2021 02:20 pm

OK

So is someone going to discuss how to get into the "share market" ?

OR has that been discussed elsewhere ?

I'm a complete 'virgin' with "Shares", as many are, so I need a crash course in direction please.

wink

Still looking for Captain Feather-swords treasure chest !
Won't be long now - 3240+ holes and STILL counting. (bloody ring-pulls and tabs) LOL

Windar
10 June 2021 10:27 am

Hi Greenhornet_au

I would suggest start here
https://www2.asx.com.au/investors/start-investing
Plus there is a game you can register to play which is actually share trading without losing any money to see what its like

Mike678
10 June 2021 11:15 am

Every time you buy shares you have to pay a fee , you need to take this into account . Fees are small if you trade cypto .

I have lost plenty on the share market , you need to check every day . Not like me , leaving it 6 months......

New hat !

Mr Magoo
10 June 2021 11:43 pm

Greenhornet_au wrote:

OK

So is someone going to discuss how to get into the "share market" ?

OR has that been discussed elsewhere ?

I'm a complete 'virgin' with "Shares", as many are, so I need a crash course in direction please.

wink

And another one to give you an idea. https://www.ig.com/uk/learn-to-trade/ig-academy

Trading is easy, register, transfer cash, IG (commsec - link bank account), choose your poison, buy, sell, sing and dance. Or cry

IG is cheap ($7 comes to mind 0n $10K) to trade but I don't think you technically own the shares. So if IG goes bust, you lose.

Commsec, you actually own the shares, costs more to trade but if it goes bust, no loss.

Trading and investing are different ball games - do your home work.

Then you have to decide what you invest in. Safe 'blue chips' that pay dividends like the banks. Or penny stocks which are very high risk but can have a very high reward factor to them. I have had rewards of 700% in six months (if I had waited four more weeks I would of made 4600% - VUL). Losses to (QHL, down around 50% - I believe is down to crappy communication, fundamentals look good). Those (penny stocks) you really have to watch.
Be aware of CGT (Capital Gains Tax) if you hold for more than 12 months it is considered an investment so the rate is reduced by 50%.

It's not hard to do but most importantly do your own research. https://www.nextinvestors.com/latest-articles/ (for example but I also check the company website, ASX announcements and 'Hotcopper'- https://hotcopper.com.au/ . Hotcopper is good for gossip and crap - I can see how much PLS (Pilbera Minerals) are shipping, weather trucks are leaving VMS Riley IO mine etc. etc.)

This is not financial advice, and I have also paid for being on the wrong side of the tax office awful

1 user likes this post: BigWave