You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

hippyhunter
21 May 2021 02:32 am

I've been playing around with the qed settings with the sadie coil and have come up with a bit of a different option for setting up than is suggested by QED officials.

What i will do is turn on (factory reset settings), set on mode 1, then turn gain up to max. Then i go to thsb and instead of looking for null as per normal, i wind it right down until i can hear a solid loud (annoying, may need to turn volume down a bit) threshold.
(I found it to be around thsb 20 on pl3 firmware and about 12 with pl4 firmware).
Then from there gradually raise thsb one ore two notches until you hear the emi start to occasionally disturb the threshold. Once you have raised it as much as you feel comfortable with as far (as the threshold being stable), ground balance, turn the volume down a little if its too loud for your liking (i also lower the pitch as its more tolerable for me) and thats it.

I have noticed so far the closer to null you can get from the very solid threshold setting in thsb, the more depth you get. Counting the distance i can hear a target by a definate threshold break i think i am in front as opposed to trying for just under null.?!
I have only recently started setting up this way and still want to test it a bit more in the field.
Would be interesting for me to hear from other qed owners if they wouldn't mind giving it a go.

I definately found emi to be less annoying with this setup.. im not sure if the settings are making me lose out in some way though.

*note i am using a small amp during this method.

Last edited by hippyhunter (21 May 2021 02:38 am)

1 user likes this post: drbob

Reg Wilson
03 June 2021 01:56 pm

I left it for some time before commenting, as I was curious to see the response from QED owners. The silence was deafening.

I would suggest you bury a coin at a foot. I have used a twenty cent piece.

Setting THS b below null will give a good response on tiny gold, but will kill depth on larger deeper targets. I never set below null. By setting above null you may sacrifice tiny targets, but will still pick up small bits, as well as the better deeper ones. Deeper tone is a good option also for those deep signals.

By using a buried coin you can experiment with the settings to give you the best options.

Let us know your results.

Walmer Central Victoria
Began detecting 1979 Best colour 3Kgs Best patch 340 ozs.

1 user likes this post: hippyhunter

hippyhunter
03 June 2021 06:21 pm

Heyo reg. Yeah, have read that from you on previous threads. I can also use same method but jack the thsb up instead of down, as mentioned above. thsb somewhere above 70 (cant remember that one precicely). So could also go high thsb for larger targets. Mind you i will need to test a larger target with that method to see if its as effective as when i set up low thsb. I will give a coin a go at 1 foot over the weekend with high thsb and post what happened.. cheers
Am still not 100% sure on setting up this way but it sure makes the detector run more stable (solid uninterupted threshold hum)

Last edited by hippyhunter (03 June 2021 07:09 pm)

1 user likes this post: Reg Wilson

XLOOX
03 June 2021 07:43 pm

Hippyhunter do you use headhones/earphones or the Nokia/Logitech speaker?

I find that earphones allow me to hear a continuous threshold hum on detector settings where the speaker is totally silent.

I dont like silence so I set it up that way.

I normally only run B at null -2 with Sadie or +2 with 18Elite. I will have a go at your settings next time I am out, but that may be a while

1985-2005 Garretts ADS Deepseeker x 2- now THATS a slow learner !
2017-2021 Whites TDI SL 16V+Sadie, Makro Gold Kruzer, QED PL3+14x9 Evo, Elite18

1 user likes this post: hippyhunter

hippyhunter
03 June 2021 08:45 pm

Hi xloox. Yes this is just using the supplied logitech speaker. I have noticed that the threshold is more easily heard using wired earbuds/headphones. I prefer the speaker where possible thoigh for comfort which is why i am messing with the extra loud threshold from thsb setting. Plus, am finding better stability (practically rock solid threshold, with sensitivity still good). Yeah give it a go next time you get a chance to see what you think.
Hopefully i get the chance to try it way above null this weekend to test a buried target at 1 foot as reg suggested

hippyhunter
03 June 2021 08:50 pm

XLOOX wrote:

I normally only run B at null -2 with Sadie or +2 with 18Elite. I will have a go at your settings next time I am out, but that may be a while

Yes thats how i normally run the sadie coil also. I found it a bit noisy that way on my machine unless gain was lowish, which is why am having a shot at this possible other way

Reg Wilson
03 June 2021 10:48 pm

Like so many of the QED features, the Logitech speaker is cheap and nasty. Howard's obsession with 'cheap' has resulted in a detector that looks like a kid's school project. A far better speaker is the JBL Wind speaker. A whole different audio.
Forget about the 'official' recommended below null setting if you want to find anything better than 'flypoop'.

Walmer Central Victoria
Began detecting 1979 Best colour 3Kgs Best patch 340 ozs.

Rockhunter62
Banned
Banned
03 June 2021 10:59 pm

"Like so many of the QED features, the Logitech speaker is cheap and nasty."

And I thought that was a cup holder for their latte.

Cheers

Doug

Forest Gump once said "life is like a detector going beep, you don't know what it is till you dig it up"

ronniecruisin
03 June 2021 11:15 pm

I had one of the original first run machines and I found the best setting was 3-4 above null for the best target response. Little bit noisier but I soon learned how to listen through the noise. Got used to that running minelabs too. Targets still stand out. The QED I currently have seems the same. Run above null for best depth. Ronnie.

Oh Well!...It's not the end of the world.....That'll probably happen tomorrow!

2 users like this post: Reg Wilson, hippyhunter

hippyhunter
06 June 2021 12:46 am

Thanks ronnie. I will try your settings on a buried target too. Will check suoer high thsb vs. your setting vs. Just below null vs. Super low thsb..Looking like it wont be till next weekend now unfortunately, but am excited to see the results.

hippyhunter
06 June 2021 12:49 am

Reg Wilson wrote:

Like so many of the QED features, the Logitech speaker is cheap and nasty. Howard's obsession with 'cheap' has resulted in a detector that looks like a kid's school project. A far better speaker is the JBL Wind speaker. A whole different audio.
Forget about the 'official' recommended below null setting if you want to find anything better than 'flypoop'.

As it happens i have a similar size much better quality speaker on hand so will definately check the difference out when i do the coin burial test

Last edited by hippyhunter (06 June 2021 01:16 am)

ronniecruisin
06 June 2021 05:05 pm

I also find pumping up thsa also can dramatically make the QED very sensitive to small targets. Buried a 5 cent piece on edge about 8" depth. Was able to detect it easily. By raising thsa progressively I could pick it up quite a few inches above the ground. Once again a bit of noise needs to be dealt with but the 5 cent piece stands out thru the noise. No problem. Coil is a 12" ellip nuggetfinder advantage. Agree about the supplied speaker though. Not great. Needs a better one.

hippyhunter
08 June 2021 12:48 am

Cool. Will give the thsa adjustment a fiddling with as well. Never really touched thsa yet to be honest. Will plant a 5c at 8" also to see how i go with that too

ronniecruisin
08 June 2021 09:31 am

Make sure you plant it on edge. I dug my hole then pushed the coin in the bottom of the hole with my finger. That way you know tis on edge when you backfill.