Turon River NSW level status

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are a few photos of the Turon at Coles bridge that I took this afternoon

1539669206_20181016_141718.jpg

1539669225_20181016_141710.jpg

1539669245_20181016_141405.jpg

1539669268_20181016_141401.jpg

There is easily enough of a flow to run a river sluice

Awesome cheers everyone. I was at coles bridge mid july for a few night and in the morning the was an inch of ice there. Had to put bottles of watter in the fridge overnight so they wouldnt freeze over.

Hi Josh086,
If you ever want to check Turon river flow WaterNSW provide daily updates to most river systems. If you search for realtimedata.waternsw.com.au [preceded by https://] you will reach their website - then select the Macquarie River system - then read the level and flow at Sofala. This gives a pretty good indication of river level. 3 Megalitres pd at Sofala gives water flowing over about half of the length of the causeway at Cave Hole Reserve (Bridle Track crossing).

Mate I have not been there for sometime but was planning on being there this past week... so I checked out the river flow heights on the B.O.Meteority. point 5 of a metre at Coles Bridge. :cool:

I was around Sofala the other day... Plenty of water for panning, not sure about running a river sluice though

Im new to all this .but after reading some stories people se very nice and helpful...I tried panning for 2 days east up the Turon ..got nothing ..is there some thing Im doing wrong ..or am I looking wrong spots ..desapointed daughter :pickshovel:

thru Sofala about 15 ks up Turon river ..to where it comes to a T intersection ..if you go left you go over the river and if you turn right I think it heads towards bathurst ..was getting some there about 4 weeks ago with Phil but Totaly nithing this time with daughter..we go back summer time some where ??maybe Coles bridge turondale ..been watching you tube videos about bed rock crevices ..hes name is Andrew does the you tubes ..I need him lol he teach me to look for signs of deposits cheers Phil

Hi Phil
from your description it is Coles Bridge. Coming from Sofala, cross the bridge and head up the hill. When you come to the left hand bend, take the track that leads off to the right. Follow this down to the river and along till it crosses the river. If you have a suitable vehicle and the river is low enough, cross the river and drive about 250m and you will see a large rocky bar. Digging down amoung the rocks here will produce colour in your pan. It may take a couple of spots to produce colour but it will.
Dont be afraid to dig away from the current water coarse looking for gold as when it floods this whole area gets replenished.

You need to get your dirt for paning from dirt that is sitting on a solid base not just from the dirt and sand sittng on the top. Gold will sink until it hits a solid layer be it rock or even clay.

Hope this helps

cheers

Bob