Can anyone Id this button?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flash Jack said:
Well, I've never realised how much information there is on the net about military buttons. AND how much has nothing to do with the button we are looking for! :D
Also, what diameter is the button?
Sorry, didn't see this question before...
It's 20mm

mineallmine said:
It was found where an old police camp/stables used to be, and I've found quite a few military items as well.. Still can't think of what 'U' could stand for tho..

Thanks but would you be willing to tell us the closest town or locality?

Well, if it's any help (and I doubt it is!), it's a Queens crown, not a Kings. Highly unlikely its got anything to do with QE2, because of its obvious age, design, and the fact it uses a Gothic script. So, We are looking for something between 1837 and 1901. There's only 63 years of archives to trawl through :lol: :lol:

Not much use I know, but on another forum where a plain button of the exact same back wording was shown, it was stated that it was late 1700's to early 1800's. This one however is definitely Queen Victoria's reign. So at least we can rule out King George III, William IV, Edward VII, and Georges V and VI.

I think it is the crown from a warrant officers uniform.

I know there is a slight difference in Crowns on different ranks and WO is definitely like this one.

1622585555_button.jpg

I believe this is a Warrant officers button from Warwickshire Yeomanry and is the closest i could find to the crown.
Font is also very close in style

The 18th Regiment (Royal Irish) served in NSW, Vic and Tas in 1870. Perhaps??

Other British regiments (including at least one with an Irish battalion eg West Yorkshire Regiment/14th Buckinghamshire 1867-69) also served in Vic.

I notice Kilmore has a very active Historical Society. However, I saw nothing on their website about pre-WW1 military/police. They may be worth contacting.

On an aside "The Kilmore Flogging" was an interesting read.

Latest posts