Jurassic Park

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rockhunter62 said:
Mr Magoo said:

And here I was thinking this was an ad for Great Northern. Good to see you lot drinking VB :beer:

Cheers

Doug

Dude. You have no idea how close I was to hitting the report button. In order of preference: VB, my urine, someone else's urine, Great Northern. :beer:

Mr Magoo said:
Rockhunter62 said:
Mr Magoo said:

And here I was thinking this was an ad for Great Northern. Good to see you lot drinking VB :beer:

Cheers

Doug

Dude. You have no idea how close I was to hitting the report button. In order of preference: VB, my urine, someone else's urine, Great Northern. :beer:

Know what you mean Magoo. For a hard earned thirst, I'm drinking one at the moment.

Cheers

Doug

PS. Spent a lot of time in NQ before I moved here to WA.

A lot more water going over now.
1622373112_falls.jpg

Cape York as you say - not sure why you want it kept a secret as it is well written up, including by the National Park people who advertise it (but I won't give it as you don't want it. amd you made the effort). And it has an interesting colonial history. Yes, very difficult access, reportedly the last 7 km in is hell, including the wasps and ants. Looks like it is a sinkhole but I guess that is unlikely as the rock is flat sandstone not limestone. Would have been very satisfying I imagine......

Not so much keeping it a secret, just not going to advertise it. The area is pristine. To many people don't do the right thing and one could easily get into trouble in there. The TO's were advised of our plans, most people wouldn't careless. It's a walk that is not encouraged. This sign at the very start of the old logging track says it all.

1622455489_sign.jpg

There is a almost second identical water fall about 300m away (the two creeks join up). What is evident at the bottom of the second set of falls is the rock is a very soft. And where stones sat the bedrock was protected from erosion resembling a miniature Cappadocia.

1622456325_fallsii.jpg

Yes, it was very satisfying. Partly because I wanted to know if I could navigate a group of people threw kilometers of dense scrub and partly being able to do it. Not a spring chicken although after the ten k mark I was having doubts.
Still can't find it mentioned by NP but you must be using different search techniques. Although I can find it from clues I've published. Yes, the wasps were nasty as you would literally walk into the nest and you have absolutely nowhere to run. Ants! Nothing. It has been commented on but the version I read I know is bull. I've seen more ants in the back yard.

I don't know anything about it's colonial history but someone suggested Kennedy past by the area. (Anybody interested in the demise of Kennedy's party, here is an interesting read https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/251539770?searchTerm=edmund kennedy jackey )

Understood - all sounds wise, although only competent walkers would want to go there (obviously unwise for others). One report quite incorrectly states it to be the site of Kennedy's death but that appears to be quite incorrect (he actually died on a navigable stretch of the Escape River). However he may have passed by the area. It would have been hard work - no tracks, and dodging spears!

Well done.

Latest posts