GPX6000 Versus GPZ7000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be surprised if the 7000 missed gold that the 6000 could hear. The 7000 is an awesome machine, and once you get your setup right (I use a hip stick), you can swing it all day. Remember too, that the 7000 is upgradeable (if Minelab choose to make improvements). I'm sure the 6000 is a great machine, but I'm very happy to stick to my Zed.

Getting trussed up with the GPZ7000 & effortlessly swinging the GPX6000 without the riggings is a world apart regardless of set up (& yes I did use a hip stick etc. on the GPZ).
I've got no doubt after a very quick time that the GPX6000 will see gold the stock GPZ won't. I've also got no doubt that the GPZ can see gold the GPX6000 might miss (as will others).
The GPX6000 is also upgradeable. Port is hidden behind the speaker (2 screws to remove) apparently.
Micro USB port rubber plug shown here:
https://www.detectorprospector.com/...6000-the-novel/?do=findComment&comment=162260

Both great machines as are the SDC, other GPX's etc.
I'm very happy with my GPX6 though - won't be returning to the trussed up swingers club anytime soon :p

mbasko said:
Getting trussed up with the GPZ7000 & effortlessly swinging the GPX6000 without the riggings is a world apart regardless of set up (& yes I did use a hip stick etc. on the GPZ).
I've got no doubt after a very quick time that the GPX6000 will see gold the stock GPZ won't. I've also got no doubt that the GPZ can see gold the GPX6000 might miss (as will others).
The GPX6000 is also upgradeable. Port is hidden behind the speaker (2 screws to remove) apparently.
Micro USB port rubber plug shown here:
https://www.detectorprospector.com/...6000-the-novel/?do=findComment&comment=162260

Both great machines as are the SDC, other GPX's etc.
I'm very happy with my GPX6 though - won't be returning to the trussed up swingers club anytime soon :p
100% this :)
I still have the 7000 with no plans to get rid of it. It will serve a need when I am wanting to detect deeper areas that I think some nugs may be hiding in (with the 19"). Or when we are using the loader.....
But in terms of debating if my shoulders can handle going out for a ping, the 6000 has changed my detecting life :) No pain. And getting gold...
Thats important to me. My hobby shouldnt try and kill me :)

cjam said:
I'd be surprised if the 7000 missed gold that the 6000 could hear. The 7000 is an awesome machine, and once you get your setup right (I use a hip stick), you can swing it all day. Remember too, that the 7000 is upgradeable (if Minelab choose to make improvements). I'm sure the 6000 is a great machine, but I'm very happy to stick to my Zed.

Seems to be the running joke at the moment...."the 7000 is upgradeable" - wonder if Minelab remembers that??? I have FINALLY got the 7000 working like you would think a $10K machine should, by spending another grand and a half!!! on an X-Coil, they are like night and day compared to the original ML14 inch.

Word is they are already onto the 8000, plenty of credible mentions floating around. Funnily enough, the information is coming from overseas - just like it did on the 6000 before it was released. Seems like you have to be out of Australia to know whats going on? And guess what, you are still going to pay over $10K for it.

We have a 6000 on back order, started with a VLF Gold Bug then moved to the GPX 5000, then got the 5000 modified and added RFI/EMI filter and Booster, then got the SDC 2300, then got a couple of GPZ 7000's - upgraded to NF12 inch and ML 19 inch coils. NF 12 coil made a huge difference but still retained all of the typical characteristics of the original coil.

The 19 inch was a boat anchor - maybe useful in WA or open ground, but I found it useless in the GT forest, plus I have back and neck issues. Next got the X-Coils, 17 spiral has been good to play with - more for big and deep gold, not fantastic on small stuff unless you can get it running in Normal.

The 15 concentric is heaps of fun. easy to swing and very distinctive - reminds me a little of a GPX with an 11 inch. The I found the holy grail thanks to my friend Simon from NZ. The 10 inch bundle wound X-Coil on the GPZ is incredible! Acts like the SDC 2300 in sensitivity, targets sharpen up real quick. Have only found surface to 8 inches so far, but picking up tiny stuff at those depths.

Can't wait for the wife to get her 6000, she's like half the size of me - so hip stick or not, will make a huge difference. I'm sticking with the GPZ for now thanks to X-Coil; https://x-coils.net/product-category/z-7k-compatible-coils/ and NO THANKS to Minelab who have had every opportunity to support GPZ users, but obviously chose not to.

So the 6000 has proven to be better than we expected, still testing going on though - wonder what the 8000 has installed? Maybe it's remote control and digs the hole for you? :lol:

P.S. How do people get the GPZ to run in Normal with Victoria's very mineralised and noisy ground?

I tried the 6K today (thanks diggit) with a 14" DD to see how it would react to a titanium knee. Slightly less impact than with my 4500 with a 14*9" Evo.
Tried on one of my larger test targets (a 5.6g specimen), and it gave a strange target response. My 4500 would give a clean broad dip in the threshold, whereas the 6K gave a double hit warble, so I obviously have much to learn in any future conversion.
Still to try the 11" mono with my knee, but it's looking hopeful :D
I couldn't believe how light it was (am told the 11' mono is feather weight by comparison), and the fact that you could just pick it up and walk without spending 5+ mins on getting your harness and cables setup, then removing and finding a place to store without mangling the power connector.
I think I may become a convert, but may never sell my old 4500.

BigWave said:
Tried on one of my larger test targets (a 5.6g specimen), and it gave a strange target response. My 4500 would give a clean broad dip in the threshold, whereas the 6K gave a double hit warble, so I obviously have much to learn in any future conversion.
I have found with the mono (albeit only on bits from 3g down to 0.08's) that everything sounds the same...even bits of tin :(
No warble for me yet, although I am listening and hoping for it!
Good news on the knee!

Have had thee Z for 8 months and Even though its a heavy unit it is sturdy and powerfull. I run on 18-20 sensitivity all the time and I'm in the noisiest, hottest ground. General Normal volume 6 boosted through a B&Z and ZX pro headphones you can't go wrong.
Just like the SDC2300, you have to get used to the hum but I go out for days and I find it almost hypnotic! Targets ping even around the hotrock zones.

I am in fairly open country and the Z is great. If I were back home in hilly vic where I grew up I think the 6000 would be the one.

It's not like comparing Commodores and Falcons, more like a v8 landcruiser and a v8ss Commodore. Both powerfull but different. Just need to look at your application before choosing. Or buy both!!! ;)

Hi Nugs,

I think you will enjoy your zed. In my opinion, either option will work well in our local area. Even though some of their features are different, at the end of the day they will both bring home some yellow if you pass your coil over it. Not sure about the depth capabilities of the 6 as yet but man oh man it is sensitive. Went out with the 6 today to an overgrown spot that a mate and I had worked with the zeds. Found 4 bits of shot and the smallest bit of gold that Ive ever found with a detector. The moral of this story is twofold:
1) The sensitivity of the six allowed me to pick up some shot that wed missed or couldnt detect with the zed and
2) The zeds sniffed out just about everything that was available in that particular area.
Which ever way you look at it, both machines do their job well.

Cheers

Les

I've got a GPX 5000 that I've had for a couple of years and I'm going to keep but I'm planning on buying a 7000 but with all the hype about the 6000 I was wondering if any of you 7000 users have used the 6 and if so how it compared to the 7. I look forward to reading your replies. Cheers From Dave

Dave's Office said:
I've got a GPX 5000 that I've had for a couple of years and I'm going to keep but I'm planning on buying a 7000 but with all the hype about the 6000 I was wondering if any of you 7000 users have used the 6 and if so how it compared to the 7. I look forward to reading your replies. Cheers From Dave

i've bought the 6000 but lockdown prevents me from going out ......
My 2 bobs worth .... the 6000 is a blend of the SDC and 4500/5000, finds both the small stuff but also finds those (as well as bigger nuggets) deeper than the SDC was capable of. It's main bonus is it's lighter (important for an old fart like me).

The 7000 is a combination of all of them, I've seen it find SDC sized tiddlers and large gold at depth ....... only problem it IS heavy and not all deep targets are gold, seen some massive holes dug that were junk (BUT could have been gold.

Some good deals around at the moment. If you're going to keep the 5000 get the 7. Or sell the 5000 and get a 6 & 7.

I have had a 7k since January, and it has been a huge success for me, and exceeded all of my expectations.
I was planning on a new 6k, but was offered the 2nd hand zed at a great price, so got it instead.
I have used the 6k as well, for a couple of days, and was impressed with it to.
Ideally, I'd love both of them, and use the 6k to find a patch, then switch to the zed, and then back to the 6 for clean up.
The 6 is deadly on the small stuff, which is why it's awesome as both a patch finder (being light and easy to swing) and also to clean up.
But, it is a bit noisy on hot ground, and emi drives it crazy with a mono coil at times.
The dd coil would be perfect in our wet season, when storms are about.
If I had a 5K, and was looking for just 1 machine, I would get the zed. It is still #1 in my opinion. For now anyway.

Have both. The 6000 is 3/4 of the way paid for in about 40 hours of use.
The 6000 wins for me simply for the sheer pleasure of detecting with something so light.
My plan with the 7000 is to whack the 19" on it and use that as the deep hunter to be brought out on special occasions :) ....will just use the 6000 for everything else.

Hi Dave

I run both the 6 and 7 and tend to alternate between the two machines when I go out detecting ie. one day with the 6 followed by a day out with the 7. Both are capable machines and you would be probably happy with either. I run both machines with an SPO1 which improves the audio options and clarity of signal response. I also use a guide stick and bungee on both machines. The zed is fitted with a Nugget Finder coil and this has been a game changer for that machine. The standard coil is now basically a back up paper weight. Each machine has its strengths but also both detectors can test your patience at times. If weight is your major issue, go the 6. If its not, the 7 would be my choice. In good to average ground, the 6 is a pleasure to use. In damp or noisy ground, the DD coil is the way to go. (Or the zed will come into its own in this situation) Both machines perform well on small, shallow gold with the 6000 usually giving a booming target response compared to a smooth, clearly audible response from the zed. As the targets get deeper, the zed signal response catches up and eventually surpasses the 6 as far as clarity. These comments are based on my observations and testing in the areas that I have detected. I would expect that different areas could suit one machine over the other according to ground type, gold size and depth etc. Finally, the more that I use the 6000, the greater my love grows for the 7000. You will find however that there are a lot of people who have the opposite opinion. What it does show in reality is that both detectors are in the top shelf category.

Cheers

Les

Well it sounds like most people that have a 6000 are happy enough with them, thank you all for your advice, I think I'll get the 7000 and a Nuggetfinder Coil. I'll post how it performs on ground I've had some luck on with the 5000. Cheers

Hi Dave,

I haven't yet had a chance to swing the 6000 and used to have a SDC2300, but after having the Z for 12 months, the 6000 would have to be pretty special for me to change!

I am okay with the weight as I am swinging in open/flat country, (compared to my home town in NE Vic).

I have picked up 1g pieces at 12+ inches in highly mineralised ground and 0.35g at 6+ inches a week ago. I have a couple of vids coming out over the next couple of weeks which show the target response v depth v gold size and some of them even surprised me! Smallest piece went 0.069g and was 1 1/2 inches down.
I think once the Z is tuned in and you are tuned into it, the Z would be a hard unit to beet especially with its versatility! 1 coil dose it all!!

WA_GOLDEN_OUTBACK on Youtube if anyone has nothing to do!

Happy hunting.

Hi all have just come back from a trip with my son he has the 7000 with a nugget finder z search coil on it I borrowed my mates 6000 we did some full on testing with them the 7000 better on depth all size targets. My son would call me over when he had a target and I would try to hear it at least half the targets I could not hear until we scraped a few inches off I tried every setting the 6000 has. On our last morning I picked up 5 sub grammars in a small area 2mtrs x 1 mtr called my son over to check he picked up a signal in my coil scrapes I could not hear it in all settings we ended up digging it out it was a 5 grammar at 15 inches I could not hear it until I poked the 6000 coil 3to 4 inches in the hole Im glad I tried the 6000 great machine but it didnt match the 7000 were we were was very deep ground and the 7000 had at least a 4 inch better depth if not more cheers muk.

Latest posts