Aldi detector hunt

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been thinking about this spot for a while and went there for 2 hours today, got about $15 in decimal coins and 4 pre-decimals. 2x Florins, 1946, 1953, 1x Shilling 1942 and 1x 1936 Penny. Also found an old stamp of some sort, looks like a wax stamp seal with a pound symbol on it. Anyone have any ideas on it?

Found a big party cone too. :D

Anyway this spot is looking good, only did about 1/10 of the area.

1393919459_20140304_182221.jpg

1393919482_20140304_182240.jpg

1393919503_20140304_182247.jpg

Cheers Col, they discriminate Silver really well, high pitch tone every sweep over these a dead give away. Someone cleaned out the beach but they forgot the park near it. :D

Nice finds there Heatho, hope you find plenty more. :cool:

Looking at the stamp it looks like the letter L (google " L wax stamps images).

There are a few on there that look like that.

Cheers and happy hunting Gary ;)

Your right SA Bogan, good idea. :)

Yeah Gary was just thinking it did'nt look right for a pound. Letter L it is for sure. Hmmmm I wonder who/what type of person would have used such a thing? Thanks.

Heatho said:
Your right SA Bogan, good idea. :)

Yeah Gary was just thinking it did'nt look right for a pound. Letter L it is for sure. Hmmmm I wonder who/what type of person would have used such a thing? Thanks.

That's what I like about coin / relic hunting the big question's --- What is it / was it, whom might have had it and how did it get there.

Sometimes the value doesn't mean so much just the history....Keeps the old mind active..lol :D

Totally agree on the history. Sure does keep the mind active too mate, but unless I find the rest of them though I think the who will remain a mytery.

Check old registeries for that area if anyones surname with a L
I know alot of folks would wax seal envelopes for their milk man
Just another avenue for you to check
Nice find mate

Nice collection there Heatho, great to see such variety AND very pleased to see the Aldi special is working for you.
Bought one for the grandkids to try at the beaches/parks down past Geelong in Vic.
Just told the switch it on and go, are there any setting recommendations that can easily be tried by a 13 year old.
Hope the rest of the 'field' yields similar quality items
Cheers Tom

Hi Tom,

All metal mode is the easiest, just switch on and go, no ground balance, only 1 tone. Discrimination mode makes 3 different tones, high, medium and low. To set it up press the Disc button followed by the Disc Notch button. Then press the right arrow key until the top bar on the display stretches all the way to the left of the screen, then knock it back 2 notches. Get a few different coins and test the response. Try adjusting the Disc Notch button while testing to become familiar with it.

I normally run it all the way to the left, it's more sensitive, it's just the 3 different tones I'm after. Silver will give a high tone everytime, so will some other coins, like a 1c piece, but not many. Most new ringpulls give a different tone in each directional sweep but not always.

Hope that helps.

Great finds there mate, well done!
I was also lucky (well prepared?) to find a park, which gives predecimal coins. I made just very little part of it and I have already 12 predecs including 6 silver coins from there. I'm pretty sure there are still some waiting for me ;)

Thanks for the info, sounds easier than my 705 especially for the youngsters.
Will copy you photos to show him at the weekend, should help keep his/their interests high,
Thanks again,
Tom

Nice score Heath :lol:

Still plenty of history in a modern city if you look for it, what great finds.

I'm happy with them Wally, proves there are some good spots that havn't been concreted over..........yet. Thought about it after remembering my Dad detecting a Penny near there when I was a kid. :D

Thought I better get back on the hunt with the Aldi for 2015, no Gold yet but did about 3 hours at 2 parks for about $27, not a great start but better than nothing, the junk seems thicker than ever.......... Aldi is doing its job as good as ever but think I still need a CTX3030. :)

1421726820_20150120_145038.jpg

This one was a long way from home.

1421726864_20150120_145824.jpg

Glad it's working for you guys.

Any time I get a sweet silver ping it's just a can.

I'm having very little luck finding anything of value. Even in parks that have been around for 80 years.

For me it's just junk junk junk.

Latest posts