New to prospecting Latrobe Valley

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am Tania for the Latrobe Valley. I am new to prospecting after my dad 76 wanted to try it. So we booked a prospecting tour in Bendigo. Had a great day spending time with my dad and got a few small pieces of gold.

Dad wants to try metal detector again so l took a week off work and went to Bendigo. Hired detectors for a week and had a go but with no luck. Lots of rubbish. Hard to know exactly where to go. Still keen to try again. Dad wants to go again after winter. Found this site and the information and knowledge that you all share is very much appreciated and very interesting reading. Thanks. Will hopefully help when we try again.

I am looking at buying the gold monster in a few days. Would like the src 2300 but a bit to expensive right now. Forum has been helpful. Not very good with computer so l hope this post is in the right place.
Thank all. ?

Thanks for the quick welcome response.
Yes have tried panning Diggit, looking around the area trying to find creeks/rivers that arent on the exemption list and that arent to hard to get to. Going to Melbourne tomorrow to buy a gold monster. Hope to have some good stories to share one day. Great site will have to become a member. :D

Good stuff. Get yourself a pick and a scoop too if you haven't got them already.

Good luck to you and your father, great to share a hobby together :D

Hi diggit,

Yes. We just went to Melbourne today and picked up a gold monster bundle. Also we got a pan and dirt to play with. Have to play with the monster to try to work it out. Had a go with it tonight with a few little bits of gold and the pick. Can hear a difference in sounds. Looking forward to taking it somewhere that has the possibility for gold. Any advice is much appreciated. Happy and safe detecting.

Thanks Tania

Reedy Creek up near Beechworth can throw up some nice alluvial gold. Quite a few on here go to Slaty Creek near Creswick.

We have the Gold Monster as well. Took a bit of getting used, especially using it in different areas.