Angus MacKirk Sluice questions, information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ended up getting the adventurer for now.

Ill order a grubstake in the next few weeks. I can see it now.

Im mighty impressed with the little adventurer sluice.

Ran some material i but through the bunnings sluice and pulled out a nice little bit last night just testing the AM.

Looking forward to going for a dig tomorrow.

Anyone using any of the Angus Mackirk gear? I have a couple of earlier models that have have been sitting in the shed for years. Keen to get them out and give them ago again. Be interested if anyone has any stories/videos using them.

Cheers

Nothing wrong with then ..... used them as in introduction to sluicing .... trap the gold well, pickers often get caught in the flat moulded section where you feed it ....... best to classify down a bit.

Since switched to Gold Rat/Dream Mat gear but still have the Angus sluice as extra gear for when I go with non prospecting friends.

DukesGold said:
Anyone using any of the Angus Mackirk gear? I have a couple of earlier models that have have been sitting in the shed for years. Keen to get them out and give them ago again. Be interested if anyone has any stories/videos using them.

Cheers

I've got some videos that I can upload to youtube, check back in a few days for the links :Y:

I have an Angus Mackirk sluice. It's the only one I have used and have always been pretty happy with it. Depending on your model you just need to make sure you have enough water flow.

I love the cleanup with it, super easy. When you are first using it I'd recommend putting a pan at the bottom to catch the material coming out. Give that a look once in a while to make sure you have it tuned in.

I personally look for that "V" shape with the water flow in the intake.

Also, if you have a pump at home then get a few lead shavings, paint them if you like to make spotting them easier, and have a play to see how it works. Alternatively, next time you are at the river throw some lead in your material to see if it is getting caught.

I have two Angus MacKirk sluices. The large one is the Alaskan and I can fit a sieve into the flare end and throw gravels straight into the sieve.

The drop riffle system works great. Agree with Brendomatic about getting a V into the water flow.

My small MacKirk is a backpack version known as the Recon 11.

Both sluices are made of tough polymer/plastic material and both work well. Clean ups are easy.

I could be wrong but I believe MacKirk sluices are no longer made by the original Canadian company or maybe they just sold out to someone else.

Great gear and excellent sluice for a beginner or seasoned prospector !!

I've got a foreman and can easily overfeed it although I'd be curious to see how fast a big one like the Alaskan could be fed. It fits perfectly on my fluid bed sluice so sometimes I just punch heaps of 1/4 inch classified to the point where I'm almost collecting as.much in the crock gator as the Angus. The foreman Is great for sampling and ultralight backpacking but for.processing at a reasonable rate it has substantial loses in my experience.
It works better than anything else I've tried in low/slow water.
I've got a grubstake too but find I can process much.faster with a super sluice pan

Latest posts