Batteries, out with the old.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moneybox

Philip & Sandra Box
Reaction score
In 2015 we left Capel, headed north and travelled across the top and up to Palmer River seeking gemstones and gold. Along the way we struck some lousy weather and the batteries were struggling to keep up with just the one 250w 24v solar panel and 60A alternator. When heading south again we dropped into that crook at Bruno's batteries in Mareeba to see what they could help us with. I'm not used to seeking outside assistance but when you're on the opposite side of a very big country there's not much choice. Bruno wanted to test my batteries first so we removed all four and left them with him for 24 hours so they could be fully charged and then steadily load tested. We returned to following day to be told my 2 yr old AGM deep cycle batteries were stuffed. At least I knew enough to identify a crook so I ignored his advice to replace them and instead had them install a 24V DC to DC battery charger.

1621298673_out_with_the_old.jpg

I should have gone with my gut feeling and left when I got the battery condition report but I was in a difficult situation at the time. They installed the Intervolt charger under the vehicle near the six batteries, 2 start and 4 deep cycle. By the time we'd travelled across the country the the fan had loaded the internal components of the charger with a good layer of dust.

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/ixrd7cucplE[/video]

The next time we struck inclement weather the Interco charger dust turned to mud and then smoke. Interco refused warranty because the charger had got wet. It should never been installed under the vehicle. The crook at Bruno's didn't want to know me and by then I was on the opposite side of this very big country and quite defenceless. I gave up and purchased a Redarc DC to DC 24/20 charger that looked after the batteries until recently. That failed recently but at 4 years of age Redarc never flinched and even though it was 2 years beyond the end of the warranty period they replaced the charger with a brand new unit free of charge.

1621299494_redarc.jpg

However rare it might be for one of these charges to have a fault the new one came with a problem. I've since whizzed it back to Redarc but we're due to head off again in a week or two and with my aging 2013 Rittar AGM batteries at 6 years beyond the date they were diagnosed as stuffed I thought it prudent to replace them. I can't be sure the new Redarc charger will turn up before we leave.

Something is not right here, for one the chance of 6 batteries all dying at the same time is about 1 in a 100 million,

Another thing is AGM's have a BMS Battery Management System, and if they are not Charging properly they get Lazy and will not charge, The way to fix this is to charge each one with a 20+A normal Battery charger until the voltage reaches around 14.4 to 14.7v and then hook it up to a 20A+ Smart Charger and Charge it and do this to each one of them then run them down to around 50 to 70% and recharge them with the Smart Charger and they should come Good,

This happened to my Van due to the lack of use because of the Lockdown So I bought a new AGM and the same happened to it, So I did all of the Above to the Old Battery and it came back to life and then I did it to the New AGM and it came back too,

I have since then put back the Original Ford AGM back in the Van and it is working well and the new one is running a Fridge,

hope that helps.

J.

Ridge Runner said:
Something is not right here, for one the chance of 6 batteries all dying at the same time is about 1 in a 100 million,

Another thing is AGM's have a BMS Battery Management System, and if they are not Charging properly they get Lazy and will not charge, The way to fix this is to charge each one with a 20+A normal Battery charger until the voltage reaches around 14.4 to 14.7v and then hook it up to a 20A+ Smart Charger and Charge it and do this to each one of them then run them down to around 50 to 70% and recharge them with the Smart Charger and they should come Good,

This happened to my Van due to the lack of use because of the Lockdown So I bought a new AGM and the same happened to it, So I did all of the Above to the Old Battery and it came back to life and then I did it to the New AGM and it came back too,

I have since then put back the Original Ford AGM back in the Van and it is working well and the new one is running a Fridge,

hope that helps.

J.

RR, I installed these batteries in 2013 and we're off on another trip without the Redarc charger so I don't want to be caught out with poor batteries and poor charging. If the Redarc turns up that's good but these old batteries have served me well and I can replace them for of the weight.

Moneybox said:
Ridge Runner said:

hope that helps.

J.

RR, I installed these batteries in 2013 and we're off on another trip without the Redarc charger so I don't want to be caught out with poor batteries and poor charging. If the Redarc turns up that's good but these old batteries have served me well and I can replace them for of the weight.

Good that should save you about 60 to 80kgs. :Y:

In 2015 we left Capel, headed north and travelled across the top and up to Palmer River seeking gemstones and gold. Along the way we struck some lousy weather and the batteries were struggling to keep up with just the one 250w 24v solar panel and 60A alternator. When heading south again we dropped into that crook at Bruno's batteries in Mareeba to see what they could help us with. I'm not used to seeking outside assistance but when you're on the opposite side of a very big country there's not much choice. Bruno wanted to test my batteries first so we removed all four and left them with him for 24 hours so they could be fully charged and then steadily load tested. We returned to following day to be told my 2 yr old AGM deep cycle batteries were stuffed. At least I knew enough to identify a crook so I ignored his advice to replace them and instead had them install a 24V DC to DC battery charger.

1621298673_out_with_the_old.jpg

I should have gone with my gut feeling and left when I got the battery condition report but I was in a difficult situation at the time. They installed the Intervolt charger under the vehicle near the six batteries, 2 start and 4 deep cycle. By the time we'd travelled across the country the the fan had loaded the internal components of the charger with a good layer of dust.

[video=480,360][/video]

The next time we struck inclement weather the Interco charger dust turned to mud and then smoke. Interco refused warranty because the charger had got wet. It should never been installed under the vehicle. The crook at Bruno's didn't want to know me and by then I was on the opposite side of this very big country and quite defenceless. I gave up and purchased a Redarc DC to DC 24/20 charger that looked after the batteries until recently. That failed recently but at 4 years of age Redarc never flinched and even though it was 2 years beyond the end of the warranty period they replaced the charger with a brand new unit free of charge.

1621299494_redarc.jpg

However rare it might be for one of these charges to have a fault the new one came with a problem. I've since whizzed it back to Redarc but we're due to head off again in a week or two and with my aging 2013 Rittar AGM batteries at 6 years beyond the date they were diagnosed as stuffed I thought it prudent to replace them. I can't be sure the new Redarc charger will turn up before we leave.

That's what I use as well. Redarc 50amp 12V dc/dc and mppt charger for alternator and solar, both. But I use Lead Crystal Batteries. Their performance is the same as lithium batteries, with only drow-back, their weight, slightly higher than normal lead acid. No problem, though as I have old truck transfered to the motorhome, and weight is no problem. Great staff, the Redarc dc/dc chargers, never fails. :)

I've not had these batteries long enough to really tell you how successful they are. They have been performing better than the old AGM batteries but since taking them out I've found one of them was quite weak. The big plus is the weight advantage because we've gone from four 120A AGMs to two light weight lithium batteries.

When I fitted the lithium batteries I also replaced the Redarc charger under warranty. Unfortunately I found out too late that I needed a special Redarc for the new batteries but because I got the charger replaced on warranty it couldn't be exchanged. So far it's operated flawlessly but I might not be getting ultimate charge.

Latest posts