Sell in May and go Away

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In the traditional stock market s there is a phenomenon called 'Sell in May and go Away' where holders dump large positions, taking profits, in May which negatively affects many stock prices in the short term, 6 months, before many of the same folks rebuy in November.

With crypto becoming more mainstream I've wondered, for some months now, will the crypto markets suffer the same behaviour from new crypto investors who have earned their investing stripes in the traditional financial markets.

.As we know, crypto is a different beast altogether but will we see some of the same phenomena over the coming weeks?

With many predicting the top of this market cycle to come in September the traditional 'sell in May and go Away' strategy would far from optimise any profit taking in the crypto slave if indeed a top arrives in September 2021.

I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of crypto Hoddlers and traditional investors on whether and why they believe the 'sell in May and go Away' strategy will impact crypto markets moving forwards.

Thoughts Please?

IT's very true that our Winter months don't generally gain more than ~1%, as opposed to Summer months ~5%, but what else to get into?
Bonds are pretty crappy and cash near zero.
I'm a total zero with cryptos - too risky for a retiree like me, but I'l like to play - just a little.
There's also short term capital gains to consider - holding shares for >12 months reduces capital gains by 50%.
This is pretty significant!
Then there's the dividends to consider.
I bought in a few months after the recent crash, and am up over 33% plus dividends (which are improving - particularly XBKs)
For me - I'll hold (or even buy).

diggit said:
In the traditional stock market s there is a phenomenon called 'Sell in May and go Away' where holders dump large positions, taking profits, in May which negatively affects many stock prices in the short term, 6 months, before many of the same folks rebuy in November.

With crypto becoming more mainstream I've wondered, for some months now, will the crypto markets suffer the same behaviour from new crypto investors who have earned their investing stripes in the traditional financial markets.

.As we know, crypto is a different beast altogether but will we see some of the same phenomena over the coming weeks?

With many predicting the top of this market cycle to come in September the traditional 'sell in May and go Away' strategy would far from optimise any profit taking in the crypto slave if indeed a top arrives in September 2021.

I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of crypto Hoddlers and traditional investors on whether and why they believe the 'sell in May and go Away' strategy will impact crypto markets moving forwards.

Thoughts Please?

Yeah agreed , but its no normal year - tech stocks under pressure due to inflation but your financial , industrial and resources stocks are back in fashion. Maybe switch out of tech growth stock and put some into crypto? If we all jump onto the shibu bandwagon , i guess we all will never need to detect for our milk anymore hey.

Theres lots of profit selling on cryptos atm.

. Personally, Ill be buying more as the selling, and stupid elon pump the price down a bit. Itl recover, sell on good gains and continue the cycle.
No month will dictate my strategy, only what the markets doing.and with crypto Ive found, with profit taking and sell offs, the dip it creates is soon replaced with bulls and the price is up again.
I dont see anything of a sell in May stay away type cycle happening in crypto for now :) we

Latest posts