Topaz Tec XT6

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking for a machine for Dinah having sold the VJ and came across a Topaz Tec XT6. Really good looking machine, to all accounts looks modern and very well engineered.

Anyone know anything about this machine as I can find absolutely nothing on the WWW :(

This is not like any Topaz Tec I've ever seen!

1591356598_xt6-1.jpg

Hi Dihusky, purchased topez tec xt6 today. No manual ! have you had any luck finding any info about them ? Like you said,there is no info online. any feedback would be appreciated. cheers.

hi dihusky, 96 index,transfer jig & 12 dops. Never faceted before , have purchased laps , wax . Just wondering if you ever got in contact max at cut & slice !

No I didn't. It would be worth while getting in touch with a local lapidary club or your local AFG group so someone can start you on the right path, it'll make a huge difference. Also get a copy of "Cutting Gemstones, a beginners guide to Faceting" by John Broadfoot, you'll find it invaluable.

hey, have had a play with it and it wont quite line up ! (round brilliant pavilion break facets) needs to be calibrated,maybe ! or how to setup. have no idea till i can find a manual . Any input would appreciated. cheers. will keep trying. :

When you set the stone to be cut for a 96 index round, for eg, did you precut, preform, the stone to a perfect round?

If so, I do not understand how your girdle breaks will not meet unless you have overcut your index angles in your pavilion breaks.

If you cut your girdle to your pavilion mains, accurately, the girdle will follow suit with your pavilion break facets.

Are you following a diagram?

Check out this PDF of alignment, there is a lot of good info here that can be applied to the Topaz Tec. Everything starts with a flat Lap, and I mean a flat! Run a steel straight edge over your laps looking at a light and see how they look, hollows will turn your life into hell, particularly when starting your journey into faceting as you don't know where the problems come from.

Pay particular attention to the quill alignment section with 2 dops and some glass, the Topaz Tec does not have an engagement pin for the index wheel so you have to line it up accurately, the quill lock is only the start as it's alignment is approximate, also when nipping the index up with the allen key, don't overtighten and don't have the top index pawl engaged, you'll bend it.

The first step is checking your spindle bearings, there should be no slop or grittyness, if there is replace them. Next is Levelling the lap, done with a spanner on the 3 little pillars under the bowl.
1621489903_adjusters.jpg

Under these pillars are 2 x Belleville washers which create a spring, make sure these are stacked correctly, inner to inner, outer to outer starting with the cone outer on the machine bed. When ours arrived they were wrong.

Check levels on your master lap directly above these adjusters, the three points need to be identical, then rotate the lap 1/3 and check again, then spin gently and see of the indicator bounces at all. If you rotate and the needle bounces, this indicates one of two things, lap is bent or spindle is bent provided the bearings are good.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/doc/member-docs/10304/1621489791_faceting_machine_alignment.pdf

Now you can move on the the other parts before cutting your first stone, the machine has been eliminated, now it's you.

cheers dihusky, all imput greatly appreciated. not as far out as i thought . heavy handed & to keen to learn. master lapp was out , light on one side heavy opposite . my turn now .post a photo when cut first round brilliant . thanks again . :Y:

Latest posts