Electronic brake conversion

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shakergt

Moderating Team
Reaction score
So I had an awfull surprise when I took my camper over the local weigh bridge yesterday. I came in at 750kg which is my ATM. So it looks like I need to convert to electronic brakes. Has anyone does this and whats involved?

Assuming you don't have electric brakes in your hubs.

It is likely that;

1. The wheel hubs will need to be replaced, in which case they come with the brakes fitted.
2. It is doubtful non braked hubs can be modified, however the next hurdle is find a suitable hub that will fit your current axle configuration.
3. If not, it's a full axle/hub replacement if mods can not be done.

Then;

4. The easy bit, running the wiring to your hitch cable plug (I think it is pin 5 on a 7 pin. If your trailer only has a 5 pin this will need replacing.
5. The final part is to install an electric brake controller and associated wiring in your tug.

My first suggestion to you, is find a reputable trailer/van repairer, take the trailer and get an assessment and cost. That shouldn't cost you.

Do it right, do it once. :)

Buy an axle and hubs from a decent trailer joint and if you have the means to fit them yourself it's low cost at the end of the day. Otherwise get quotes for supply and fit, just need to research what quality your willing to pay for.

HippyProspecting said:
I have a redarc brake controller installed in my car. I didn't install it myself but it seems easy enough if you have some mechanical smarts

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ca...s/diy-redarc-brake-controller-fitting-124630/

Hope this helps

I won't use anything but the redarc electric break controllers, fit the dial as close to the steering wheel as possible. If you're trailer gets out of line (sways) just puch the knob in and turn the dial up which applies the breaks to the trailer (manual control ability) This will realign the trailer without you having to touch your break pedal and allow you to maintain control without fear of jackknifing :Y: :perfect:

RM Outback said:
HippyProspecting said:
I have a redarc brake controller installed in my car. I didn't install it myself but it seems easy enough if you have some mechanical smarts

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ca...s/diy-redarc-brake-controller-fitting-124630/

Hope this helps

I won't use anything but the redarc electric break controllers, fit the dial as close to the steering wheel as possible. If you're trailer gets out of line (sways) just puch the knob in and turn the dial up which applies the breaks to the trailer (manual control ability) This will realign the trailer without you having to touch your break pedal and allow you to maintain control without fear of jackknifing :Y: :perfect:

Thats the main reason I am looking at electronic brakes as I have a redarc in the tow vehicle already.

Well its done. I left enough slack in the cable to allow for suspension travel. Took me 4 hours to do with a compleate rewire from 5 ro 7 core.
1620996214_20210514_194847.jpg

Hey shaker, I take it that you have put the cable into some garden hose or similar as it will get bombarded with rocks when you go onto gravel roads. The cable ties won't last long either. We are forever fixing the aftermarket wiring for our towbars on the station vehicles.WA rocks seem to do more damage than what I'm used to seeing on the east coast.

Cheers

Doug