Snake Bite Kits and bandages

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ded Driver said:
We have similar horse bandages here, but they are a bit thicker & heavier than those intended for people, & might be a bit tricky to get the right compression (you dont want it too tight & cut off blood flow).

I think the generic name for the stuff is Vet Wrap...I also have a couple of the Setopress bandages and the HyHealth product is very comparable weight wise although other brands might vary...I have a couple of rolls of the HyHealth for sprains and for splinting rather than using crepe but obviously you can't put the stuff on "farmer tight" especially on a child...

Because it's self gripping and easy to tear, the HyHealth stuff is actually nice to work with..

The printed indicators on the Setopress and other similar bandages obviously help especially in a stressful situation, but they need to be used with caution also..an appropriate tightness for an adult will be too tight for a small child and the packaging used to give that warning based on limb circumference...

condor22 said:
I use these. I carry 2.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...1932/1591078480_setopress-bandage-squares.jpg
Called Setopress bandage. They have printed alternate green/brown rectangles spaced along the length of the bandage.

When you stretch the bandage the green rectangles become square and the correct tension for snake bite. If you stretch a little more the brown rectangles become square and give the correct tension for a "bleed" pressure bandage. So multi use......

Specs - When stretched correctly the rectangles become squares which provide over 30mmHg (brown square) and 20mmHg (green square) of pressure. They are 3.5 M long unstretched and will do an entire limb

The biggest issue medicos have found is improper application of bandages used in first aid, as many people just don't know. These take away the guess work.

Funny we were taught to use brown squares for adults especially on the legs, and green for smaller/slightly built bodied maybe teenagers. Children were the main concern and if memory serves me we had either 50mm or 70mm bandages for them and you really had to watch they weren't on too tight..

This was medic training in preparation for a deployment to Kenya many years ago, so recommendations may well have changed and/or my memory faded a bit...

The thing that still sticks out was the number of different types of snakes they had, and that many required different first aid treatments depending on the type of venom and its effects..not sure how practical the approach would have been in real life especially after just a day's add on training...luckily it's not something I ever had to deal with...

I seem to remember the instructions giving the multi use, I'll see if I still have them.

The reasoning is that regardless of the leg diameter (size), if the stretch is gauged to the bandage markings the tension is the same. It would just go further for a smaller leg lol.

As snake venom is a surface capillary transmission it doesn't need the same tension as a bleed.

condor22 said:
I seem to remember the instructions giving the multi use, I'll see if I still have them.

The reasoning is that regardless of the leg diameter (size), if the stretch is gauged to the bandage markings the tension is the same. It would just go further for a smaller leg lol.

As snake venom is a surface capillary transmission it doesn't need the same tension as a bleed.

Yes, that's it...those bandages are primarily used for the compression treatment of venous ulcers in hospitals etc, and somebody then realised they would be excellent for certain types of snake bite...

condor22 said:

Since my initial post I have done a little refresher research and found this:

https://biomedicalsciences.unimelb....6/2106393/2.1-Snakebite_firstaid_ANG_AVRU.pdf

If you read through to where it mentions pressures it talks about applying a bandage at around 55mmHg for leg bites and 40mmHg for bites to the arm or hand.

What I get from that is that is to use the brown rectangles on the Setopress bandage for both arms and legs and perhaps over stretch them a bit if dealing with a bite to the leg??

This is prety popular in America at the moment.
Will be interesting to see if it actually does remove even the smallest amount of venom.
1620858452_screenshot_20210513-082350_messages_copy_768x1579.jpg

Smoky bandit said:
Jaros said:
Interesting article mate.
Especially all the reviews at the bottom.
I think I would need to see far more scientific research before I came to any solid conclusion..

With regards to the people who say it works, on what type of snake? How can they be sure the bite wasn't dry ect?

With regards the boffins who say it doesn't work or offers no advantage, how much research has been done and on what types of snake bite? Maybe it works better on the bites of short fanged species for instance? Perhaps it only it only removes a small amount of venom, but that could be enough to improve a person's chances of survival? Finally, it may also depend how soon after the initial bite the extractor is applied?

Latest posts