⭐ Gemstone & Mineral Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another mesmerising stone - not bad for a lump of quartz.

1620434970_b254d9b4-29f4-48b1-b631-61d66ff1a752.jpg

Pat Hogen said:
Pretty nice Wally. What was your design and index for this? It appears to have no table but that may be an illusion.

Correct on the no table Pat, wasnt thinking much of the stone and was trying out an old Robilt machine to see what engineering went into it. Adopted a simple 8 sided stone design to start with but kept the girdle round on transfer. Had to freestyle the rest as the transfer was a disaster. Thought it might come up ok as a pendant stone being about 12mm in diameter so decided to do a rose crown at 22deg to test the accuracy of the Robilt.

Polish is a bit substandard for my liking but the cheater on the old Robilt is a bit crude and I didnt give the stone the credit it deserved.....still....very happy with the outcome.

Now working on turning some fire-ruined 925 NoX finds into a rustic pendant, had some success with creating match-stick prongs to hold the stone ???
1620451251_2696b601-5985-4764-83ad-773252b2641b.jpg

The mark of a tradesperson Wally, thinking on the fly in regards to incorporating the "rose cut" as a method of flourishing the pavilion. The thing that I should not be curious about, but I want to know, what was the disaster in transfer. Transfer disasters could have a book written about them.

Pat Hogen said:
The mark of a tradesperson Wally, thinking on the fly in regards to incorporating the "rose cut" as a method of flourishing the pavilion. The thing that I should not be curious about, but I want to know, what was the disaster in transfer. Transfer disasters could have a book written about them.

The dop on this machine has a keyed pin but the transfer jig that came with it was designed for a beveled end dop. As you do, you search through your box of transfer jigs and select one that you think will work and do the best you can.

I knew I would have to cheat the stone around a bit to make up for some transfer inaccuracies but the darn thing was just at the limit of the robilts cheater range, so I had to soften the wax and rotate slightly which also put it off square and centre. And of course, once this happens, getting everything to meet, takes 10x as long due to having to adjust every facet.

Disaster is probably a term that is a little over dramatic, as once you learn the cause and effect, resolution is just another process to navigate. My goal was to get to know how the machine worked, so the objective was achieved in a single stone and I was delighted with the outcome as well.

Latest posts