Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day

Been a lurker for a few months and signed up about a week ago..

I was wondering if you guys and gals could give me an idea of a new metal detector for :goldnugget: for the price range around $1300 Max Range

I have planned to use it around the Bendigo Region: Golden Square - Kangaroo Flat - Bendigo etc

I have been practicing with my father's minelab x terra 70, so any help in this matter would be highly appreciated! :Y:

Take care, Stay Safe

Seal

grubstake said:
KarlS's Whites SPP in the For Sale section would have to be a great starter detector for the typically mineralised Bendigo ground, I reckon. $750 for a PI with a selection of good coils - you won't beat that for value anywhere:

Hey, Thank you for your advice but unfortunately I'm hoping to upgrade around mid July to August around my birthday as a little gift for myself.. but I really do appreciate the help.

bbjay said:
Hi and welcome , I am not sure what machine you would get

B

Thank you for the welcome bbjay and all good.

Welcome.

$1,300? It's going to be difficult.

I would buy a 2nd hand GM1000 for 700 or 800 bucks. I would use it to get out detecting, its a vlf machineso wont get you deep niggets in mineralosed ground....close to surface stuff only. It is noisy so a baptism of fire awaits.

Then in July you cam sell ot for what you paid for it pretty much and then upgrade to a GP/GPX/SDC dependong on how much coin you have.

Dont expect moracles from the GM1000 but at least it will get you out detecting. Also its light and easy to swing all day

Welcome.

I would buy a 2nd hand GM1000 for 700 or 800 bucks. I would use it to get out detecting, its a vlf machineso so probably wont get you deep niggets in mineralised ground....close to surface stuff only I would think. It is noisy so a baptism of fire awaits.

Then in July you cam sell ot for what you paid for it pretty much and then upgrade to a GP/GPX/SDC dependong on how much coin you have.

Dont expect miracles from the GM1000, its designed to pick up small, shallow gold but at least it will get you out detecting. Also its light and easy to swing all day.

The whites spp will give you a better chance of bigger nuggetsat depth I would think....I have not used one so do your own research.

diggit said:
Welcome.

I would buy a 2nd hand GM1000 for 700 or 800 bucks. I would use it to get out detecting, its a vlf machineso wont get you deep niggets in mineralosed ground....close to surface stuff only. It is noisy so a baptism of fire awaits.

Dont expect moracles from the GM1000 but at least it will get you out detecting. Also its light and easy to swing all day

Thank you for the welcome and thank you for the advice diggit.

So just an random question.. after doing some little research would it be worth buying an SD2000 secondhand if I could afford it over a GM1000 for the mineralised soil around Bendigo? :|

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Mackka said:
Welcome mate, gold is where you find it, walk over it and it will beep. Hope you find heaps, best wishes.
Mackka

Thank you Mackka, went out today and tested it before the wet weather next week.. one thing I did notice from the gold monster compared to the x-terra 70 is how much more quieter it is.. less hot rocks, less false positives.

Now time to do some research and look at the gold maps etc.. and found me some :goldnugget:

They called white hills that name for a reason. The GM excels in this sort of area. The advantage you will have over a PI will be in this type of area.

Theres a gully being built around on the south side of Whipsticks just near golfcourse where before the houses were there was quite productive, if its not to chirpy maybe its worth a going over. Edit (up north of Ceder drive Ascot off Fairway Drive.)

Any where theres exposed mullocks you are in with half a chance, once the lead starts showing up just keep walking in circles until it makes the right squeak

The Gold Monster group on facebook has plenty of tips and a few guys will take you out to get detecting for a small fee in known areas not too far of a drive from Bendigo.

Have fun.

OldGT said:
They called white hills that name for a reason. The GM excels in this sort of area. The advantage you will have over a PI will be in this type of area.

Theres a gully being built around on the south side of Whipsticks just near golfcourse where before the houses were there was quite productive, if its not to chirpy maybe its worth a going over. Edit (up north of Ceder drive Ascot off Fairway Drive.)

Any where theres exposed mullocks you are in with half a chance, once the lead starts showing up just keep walking in circles until it makes the right squeak

The Gold Monster group on facebook has plenty of tips and a few guys will take you out to get detecting for a small fee in known areas not too far of a drive from Bendigo.

Have fun.

Sorry about the delay in replying, we haven't had the best internet recently, all fixed now... but now we are in lock-down.. yippee :rolleyes:

Thank you for the suggestions and knowledge OldGT, and unfortunately I don't use facebook.. not the biggest fan of it but really do appreciate the suggestion.

What would you suggest using the 5inch or the 10inch Coil for a beginner using the gold monster?

Cheers

Latest posts