Minelab GPX6000 release, general information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Solid Luck said:
So? How deep can the 6000 hit Larger targets. Gold, rubbish, anything.
Whilst I don't mind finding specks, I do want something to punch deeper.

At this rate I may hang on to my 4500.
Personally I havent found anything big yet. Did get a 0.6g at 10 inches, so that may be a indicatior that it does punch quite deep.
This was posted this eslewhere: ""GPX6000 Gold - Target about 17" deep, could get approx 10" - 12" above surface. GPX5000 in fine got response but not as defined. GPZ7000 gave less response approx 8" above ground in HY/difficult but performed better in General/difficult."
1620421012_image.thumb.jpg.c1a17dbef39e9931915ca92fc8a048a1.jpg

kingswood said:
Solid Luck said:

Personally I havent found anything big yet. Did get a 0.6g at 10 inches, so that kinda an indication that it does punch quite deep.
Ian Butler posted this eslewhere: ""GPX6000 Gold - Target about 17" deep, could get approx 10" - 12" above surface. GPX5000 in fine got response but not as defined. GPZ7000 gave less response approx 8" above ground in HY/difficult but performed better in General/difficult."
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...humb.jpg.c1a17dbef39e9931915ca92fc8a048a1.jpg

Thanks kingswood. That sounds awesome. But I know .6 at 10 inches will frustrate me. Being a lazy ass detectorist. Still it all adds up.
Just wish ML supplied more units to us than overseas.

Mbasko you answered on another forum in regards to an issue with the 6000.

Hopefully you do not mind if I post your answer to the issue here when you said, " You will know if you have this issue out of the box because it will fail to turn on fully at all. If it turns on ok no issue. Very simple."

Therefore when you say " it will fail to turn on fully at all" could you explain further by what you mean "fully at all" since you experienced that issue?

Thanks.

Meerkat said:
Mbasko you answered on another forum in regards to an issue with the 6000.

Hopefully you do not mind if I post your answer to the issue here when you said, " You will know if you have this issue out of the box because it will fail to turn on fully at all. If it turns on ok no issue. Very simple."

Therefore when you say " it will fail to turn on fully at all" could you explain further by what you mean "fully at all" since you experienced that issue?

Thanks.
Probably best to include a link to the thread & the whole comment for context! My reply was to another posters comment that wasn't 100% correct.
https://golddetecting.forumotion.net/t27385-minelab-6000-detector#265845
mbasko said:
Well there is a little bit of truth to it.
Due to the GPX6000 having 2 x boards there is obviously a different process in manufacturing. As a result some GPX6000's were delivered with a connecting cable not clipped onto the boards correctly.
You will know if you have this issue out of the box because it will fail to turn on fully at all. If it turns on ok no issue. Very simple.
I know this because mine was one of them! The Minelab technician told me there had been others but I've not seen or heard of any so it looks like only a small percentage may have been affected!
I had purchased 2 x GPX6000's at the same time in the first batch for myself & a friend - mine had the issue & his did not.
I haven't seen or heard any information to suggest that the issue will or might occur to any other first batch GPX6000's that are operational out of the box? If so, I would assume they would have asked me to return both machines at that time!
The issue should not occur with future batches now.

Minelab (as usual) delivered terrific service/repair within a week & kept me informed of what was happening.
They would have dispatched an immediate replacement but due to demand there was no available stock in Australia. The Minelab technician also told me the problem takes them ~5 minutes to fix. Not a major issue just a pain.
Could have been a bit of an inconvenience but as it was I was on roster & unable to use it anyway that week.
Now it's been repaired, tested & I'm out finding gold without issue. I have no complaints or concerns about it at all!

What I mean by "it will fail to turn on fully at all" is that the GPX6000 will try to start but when the LCD sensitivity level gets to around ~50% on the start up screen it shuts down.
A built in safety/protection shut down I would assume.
Overall, apart from being a pain having to return it, it's a non issue & simple quick fix.

Cheers GemQ, thats a good relative comparison. Whatever limitations are on a test patch they are still known targets and depths, which is a great benchmark, as the gold and trash recovery out in the wilderness still has a fair element of luck involved.

Not bad for a DD in my opinion, definitely food for thought

GemQ said:
Solid Luck said:

I can hit the 22 bullet at 12 and the half ouncer at 18 at the Inglewood test patch with the 6000.

Awesome GemQ. Thanks for that. I love digging p old bullets. :Y:

Solid Luck said:
GemQ said:
Solid Luck said:

I can hit the 22 bullet at 12 and the half ouncer at 18 at the Inglewood test patch with the 6000.

Awesome GemQ. Thanks for that. I love digging p old bullets. :Y:
I dont think the test patch would be there for long if they were gold ( all lead)

I've only used the 11 so far.
I will be having a go of the DD next outing but from what I hear it also loves the lead shot.
Be interesting to see how the 17 goes when it arrives

ShaneC said:
I've only used the 11 so far.
I will be having a go of the DD next outing but from what I hear it also loves the lead shot.
Be interesting to see how the 17 goes when it arrives

Yes, the DD likes the lead.....I've used the DD the most but will try the mono next time out methinks :)

Latest posts