Ever Lost Your Nugget Container In The Bush?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,lost a 29gr beautiful Moliagul nugget at petrol station near Bendigo,saw it poking out of wallet and ment to remove it but didn't.Was wondering what guy at pump opposite was looking at :drooling: Easy come easy go :rolleyes:

I learnt a valuable lesson of never putting my container of fine gold in my top pocket. (Still a noobie at the the time.) It contained 2 grams of fine gold and must have dropped out of my pocket when I was in the river with my small sluice. The Shoalhaven River has received my offering. The only one it will ever get if I can help it. I am much more careful these days. We need lessons like this to teach us not to assume that, "She'll be right mate!"

However, since then (18 months later with a lot of experience and improved techiques) I find gold every trip, enough to pay travel and food expenses plus profit. :D :goldnugget: :money:

Happy Prospecting, :D

B n B

Not me my partner used to always carry her jar in her shirt top pocket, button undone.
She usually drags a chain when looking and hoping for a patch. Well the long and short of it, she got a signal' dug a nugget, but jar was gone. (Those pointy bits women have must have dislodged the jar)
We back tracked (tears streaming down her face, there was about 10g of nugs in the jar along with her test piece, (first nug she ever found.) along her drag mark and there in amongst the rubble was her jar, easily visible due to the fluorescent green paint I had covered the jar with.
**After getting home, out came the sewing machine and a zippered pouch was added to her detector cover.**

Yep! we learn by our mistakes. You were very fortunate getting that jar back. The green paint on the lid was a good idea.

Can't say I've lost my nugget container but I've left my pick behind multiple times. Only thing I've gotten better at is retracing my steps.

Speaking of losing nugget jars I wonder has anyone here inadvertently dug up and recovered a nugget? I did this a couple years ago. Dug up a small promising target and suddenly lost the signal. I scanned all around the hole and for the life of me I couldn't find it again. Turns out I'd flicked it up and it landed in my boot. It wasn't until I emptied out my boots back at camp that I caught the glint of a lovely little 0.3g nugglet which had even been partially cleaned by the friction from my sweaty socks.

At a our first member meet up at Tuena about 6 years ago, I went out with another member in the afternoon to look for a place where we could set up the highbanker the next day..did a couple of test pans and in one I found a nice picker.
I didnt have a snuffer bottle or container, so I took the cellophane off a cigarette packet and used that.
Dropped the picker in and put it in my pants pocket, by the time we got back to the camping area , the picker had disappeared ...
:8
Never leave with out the snuffer bottle.. ;)

Fully lost a 5 ounce of gold in specimen out of my top pocket of king gee shirt , lucky I was chaining and lucky I had a detector in my hand !