You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

Kylekelly
29 March 2021 11:37 pm

Hi there my names Kyle I’m 31, born and grew up in Orange nsw, very good place to grow up as a fossicker I was very lucky to have so many areas to explore Ophir, trunkey, tuena, Sofala, hill end, Oberon and so on. I was introduced to fossicking/prospecting as a young fella by both my dad and pop who were both rock hounds and prospectors. And had some amazing finds in my younger years. But the world has changed so much since those days areas where we could once go are now no mans lands properties we used to visit are now off limits because of the ever growing populations of peanuts ? that do the wrong thing. Which is a real shame as I now have younguns and would love to share the experience with them and help them unearth there first memories and specimens.
I now reside on the Sunshine Coast and not so many places here to fossick, I travel a bit I go away to Inverell, Torrington, Emmaville, Stanthorpe, Warwick and am finding every time I visit those places more areas are closed.
I wish to connect with people from these areas who have up to date knowledge of where and where not to go. Also if you are a property owner with any old mines or mineral bearing creeks rivers areas of any rock description can be copper to quartz tin to sapphire and anything and everything between, I would love to make contact with you I learnt from the old generation who take responsibility for there own presence and self I am respectful of other people’s lands and rules, and hey I’m even willing to help out and do a little work to gain your permission to have a scratch around. Happy to sign a liability waiver if nessesary but really in my eyes shouldn’t be an issue fossicking entails some risks that well you should accept as part of what your doing , And hopefully I can get to do what I love and hopefully find some cool specimens to take home and the memories with them. Every specimen has a story to go with it it’s not just about the end goal the journey to how you got there is often the best
part of looking back over your collection.
I’m also interested in Biggenden beeing close to home and then opal country, gem fields and well anywhere qld and nsw to be honest
Would like to make contacts in the Stanthorpe and Torrington areas also.
Cheers in advance thanks for reading through my post.

Mackka
30 March 2021 10:21 am

Welcome to the PA and I hope your Wishes are granted.
Mackka

1 user likes this post: Wishfull

Jaros
30 March 2021 10:35 am

Welcome Kyle. smile

F1A4M2, Exterra 705 Gold, Ace 250, Goldrat 8" Dreammat River Sluice.

Kylekelly
30 March 2021 10:03 pm

Thankyou both for the welcome, glad to be here

HippyProspecting
30 March 2021 10:54 pm

Welcome kyle pickshovel goldpan gold-nugget

If you can't convince them, confuse them

goody2shoes
30 March 2021 11:09 pm

Welcome kyle pickshovel

Kylekelly
01 April 2021 03:01 pm

Thankyou all for the welcome, so what areas are you all from and what do you prospect/fossick for ?

Spinkled
03 May 2021 05:44 pm

Welcome Kyle,

Im from Cowra ? Got any localish places you can recommend to me?

Jaros
03 May 2021 05:58 pm

Just type in Cowra Gold in Google.

2 users like this post: grubstake, FastR1Red

Spinkled
04 May 2021 10:23 pm

Jaros wrote:

Just type in Cowra Gold in Google.

If you think I haven’t done my research you are very mistaken.

Dave79
04 May 2021 10:50 pm

If you are begging for spots on the internet your research can't have turned up much!

Prospecting must be like fishing, the big one keeps getting away!

1 user likes this post: grubstake

Spinkled
04 May 2021 11:29 pm

Dave79 wrote:

If you are begging for spots on the internet your research can't have turned up much!

Begging for spots?
I asked for recommendations.
Not everything is on google you know.
Local knowledge from back in the day is not.
Talking to locals helps.
Unfortunately my local lapidary club is no more, it shifted to other interests and all previous members That I have tracked are dead or no longer in the area.
I have amazing local specimens gifted to me from the new club that they no longer wanted.
Again
If you think I haven’t done my research you are mistaken.

I really thought we were here to help each other, share knowledge and our love of the hobby ?♀️

Spinkled
04 May 2021 11:33 pm

Dave79 wrote:

Its sad that you learned everything you know about fossicking and mineral deposits and areas to fossick from google. No one personally shared any info with you at all. You shouldn’t limit yourself to where you gain your knowledge.
You really should get out and talk to people.
You would be amazed at the things you could learn.

Banjo68
04 May 2021 11:40 pm

bomb

Equinox 800 , Gold Rat sluice , Minelab pans ,pair of worn out boots

Jaros
05 May 2021 09:15 am

Calm down Sprinkled. Don't be so defensive in your replies. If you don't speak civilly to us then you will have aa rest very quickly. cool

5 users like this post: grubstake, Banjo68, silver, FastR1Red, Crocket

Kylekelly
07 May 2021 04:32 pm

Gday sprinkled
My apologies for the late reply, I have actually just got back from a run down to tuena/trunkey creek area.

From Cowra you have a very big selection of areas to explore, just depends what you are intending to do, detect, snipe, pan, sluice ect.

Wyangala dam has old workings around the dam and an abundance of old shafts and drives in the hills,

Blayney in and around rivers/streams with the possibility of garnet also.

Carcoar still turns up the odd flake here or there.

Oberon has the sapphires and other gemstone a.

Sofala near Bathurst I have recently had some finds out there plus it’s a great town to visit friendly locals as long as you show respect.

Ophir near orange has good gold if your prepared to do the time looking and good Trout also if you don’t mind a bit of a fish.

Tuena/trunkey creek plenty of gold still here time and persistence.

Abercrombie river between crookwell and trunkey
River and the hills

Never discount the hills anywhere you find a colour or flake always check the hills to find the source there’s been many a gold bearing quartz reef simply walked past without beeing looked at.

On my recent trip I found a quartz reef and did a few test pans at the bottom side of the reef and found the deeper I went the more gold I started to find so I dug Down until I hit bedrock dug out and found very strong indicators of gold very strong iron presence and started pulling apart the reef with hammer and cheisel to find a highly mineralised vein with borenite peacock ore pyrite and other metallics present so I proceeded to did deeper in the vein and exposed some very inviting golden colour.

Sometimes it’s not allways visible to the eye but the test pan is the best tool if one colour in a spot then move a metre in any direction if no colours then go back to first hole and dig deeper if more colours keep going deeper or look for points between where you are and the river where gold could be trapped crevices in rock tree roots or the underside of large boulders.

Best advice I can give is the only way to find it is to get out looking dont be discouraged if you don’t find any the first few times you will eventually if you persist. gold-nugget pickshovel

Last edited by Kylekelly (07 May 2021 04:33 pm)

3 users like this post: grubstake, Mackka, RM Outback

Jaros
07 May 2021 05:25 pm

Yep, persistence pays with breaks to refresh the thinking.

1 user likes this post: Kylekelly

Crocket
07 May 2021 06:06 pm

I agree with Jaros. For someone trying to make new contacts best not respond too defensively to genuinely meant comments or a bit of humorous banter. If you don't like what you read just let it slide. How To Win Friends and Influence People is a good read in anyone's down time smile

Started detecting 2021
SDC2300

4 users like this post: grubstake, Dave79, The geezer, FastR1Red