Minelab GP3000 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Evie/Bee,

I think my picks are out of the Gp Extreme, Gp 3000 or Gp 3500, probably all that the budget allows too.
Hopefully a 3500 pops up in the near future
Also, bit of a newbie question but what on earth is that in your profile picture? Some sort of gold crystal?

Yes.. it's crystalline gold.
As a collectors item it's value can be 10 times more than the gold price.
The full story on this piece is in my old posts under "This is crystalline gold".

1585097671_crystal.jpg

Gday everyone so I found a gp3000 at cashies for $995 it looked in decent nick and came with a lucky lark battery system with built in booster for audio and a koss ur30 headphones

It had a tiny coil with it but they had a 15x12 coiltek mono in stock so I picked that up too!

I grab it Wednesday and Im excited to test it out at the local beach providing they dont fully lock us down of course...

I did get a few questions though about the machine

Is it any good? Is it better than the sd2200d I sold

Is the 15x12 coil good or should I go smaller?

What else does the lucky lark battery do?? Is it just an audio booster? How long do they last for in the field?

Cheers in advance

I have a 3000 as a backup for the zed just in case...
use the Lucky Lark and get about 6 hours use from fully charged.
I havent used a mono with the 3000 yet....generally have just chucked on a 22" DD or the 24x12 DD. Both run smoothly.
You can still get lucky lark replacement batteries which is handy :)
The 3000 will still find gold if you happen to swing over it.

Hi,

I have recently upgraded to SDC2300 but now the wife has claimed it so looking at getting another Pi machine.
Are Gp3000's a still ok machine in this day were they ok on small gold and did the punch deep with the right coils?
I have tried to find some youtube videos etc but not to much around does anyone still use one?
after the SDC the budget is not great so need a bargain buy if anyone is selling a Pi.

Nothing wrong with the 3000. Will find gold if you walk over it.
I found some small bits 0.2g etc with mine in the past. The detech ultimate spiral DD 15" paired well with it, sensitive to small bits and ran smoothly.
A bloke I know recently found a speccie with 4 ounces in it with his GP extreme, so older machines will still get decent gold if it happens to end up under the coil.

Me, I would pay the extra and get a ML4500, you will not regret it. Had a 3000 and a 3500 good detectors but the 4500 is a lot better.

PeterInSa said:
Me, I would pay the extra and get a ML4500, you will not regret it. Had a 3000 and a 3500 good detectors but the 4500 is a lot better.

i would like to pay the extra but cannot afford to so 3000 is my only option at the moment.

stevenj48 said:
PeterInSa said:

i would like to pay the extra but cannot afford to so 3000 is my only option at the moment.
It will be fine. They like DD's depending on where you are.
They found a lot of gold years ago and will still find gold now. Just need to swing over it.
The GB switch is a pain sometimes as you have to flick from tracking to fix, but theres plenty of info on installing a handle button. Easy apparently if you are handy with a soldiering iron.
I couldnt be bothered, so just used it as is...
Good luck :)

BrokeInBendigo said:
ProspectorPete has a damn fine 4500 for sale for $3100 in the for sale forum... seriously a great deal. Just in case thats within budget.

yep i did see that but my max budget is 2k if i had more i would jump at it.

stevenj48 said:
BrokeInBendigo said:
ProspectorPete has a damn fine 4500 for sale for $3100 in the for sale forum... seriously a great deal. Just in case thats within budget.

yep i did see that but my max budget is 2k if i had more i would jump at it.

Bank interest is worthy of checking out loaning the balance :D as an option, it's the best deal I've ever seen :perfect:

Steve about 7 years ago in north WA, mate and self drove past an old patch, he had his 45, me no detector it was back at camp an hour a way thru the bush, I borrowed his wifes' 3000 after 5 minutes hearing hot rocks each swing I returned the 3000 back to his vehicle, the same signal with a 4500 would be gold, it does not pick up these hot rocks. The 3000 is a good detector and I could have adjusted the settings, and maybe ground balanced on the hot rocks etc to minimise their impact, but I think there is a massive difference between the 2 detectors. Like the 2000 and 2100 the 3000 was a signifcant leap in detecting history and so is/was the 45.

3 years ago we revisted this old patch, me with 7K she 2300, another mate a 45 and she a 2300 and picked up gold. ( and most probably its still there, just harder to find)

What about selling the QED to make up the difference.

Im kind of on the side of the guys suggesting a better model, equally understanding that finances can be a constraint.

The GPs are capable, try and get a good DD thrown in if possible, in my time using a GP its hard to really squeeze much out of modern (aftermarket) monos without giving way to doubt and ground noise (evo/Elite etc) , the 15x12 ML DD was a pretty good fit for the tech, size which can be used in mono as pseudo mono if theres some dry, milder ground around. The less miles its done being dumped in a boot or tray rattling around in the dust and heat the better. The GP series are one of the easiest to turn and go with though for sure, probably why theres few videos or write ups on use.

Teamed with and SDC you will be missing a lot less than you might trying to grapple with coil changes and nasty ground with a gp on its on, but if you could wait a GPX would see you a bit further in front. I kind of think the 4k gets thrown under the bus a bit missing enhance, but would take one out over a GP for a few dollars more, especially if you can score 1 or more good modern monos on it.

Good luck whatever you decide mate.

Thanks for the Opinions everyone i am now convinced a 4500 i probably the best way forward so am going to put funds aside aside and save some more cash to get one.