Makita Fridge ??

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They whack their name on anything now days, I have a makita lawnmower, its reliable, but its just a lawnmower, very low revving,pretty gutless really.

Solid Luck said:
That's an outrageous price as well.
Could buy a decent fridge for that coin.

yeah thats right, You would not believe the cost of a National Luna or an Engel over here,

There is no way would I pay 3 or 4000 bucks for a fridge.

davent said:
They whack their name on anything now days, I have a makita lawnmower, its reliable, but its just a lawnmower, very low revving,pretty gutless really.

Seeing as it is just a powered cooler, I only paid 330.00 for my Dometic CDF-18 and it has a Danfos BD1.4 Compressor in it and it is as good as any other fridge I have tested and is the most Temp stable fridge I have tested.

You can buy powered coolers from about $50 bucks over here. and my camper conversion came with one that I have never used.

Ded Driver said:
Yeah, its probably made in China anyway, & wouldnt be very logical to buy 1 at that price when you can get 1 of the cheaper proper fridges for similar money!
They're just under AU$900 here
https://sydneytools.com.au/product/...UeR-Q7BbifC3NtmJFjk-_6B2_uU7yvQwaAsFYEALw_wcB

If I had to choose only one fridge I would pick the ARB 60L, it has the same long/wide space the 78L has but it is about 3 or 4 inches lower which makes it easier to open in a Vehicle and it has the same smaller compressor as the 47L has, Although the 78L has the bigger BD-50F it is still good on power but without full time solar like a 60w panel or bigger it can eat one of my PLB's in about 16+ hours when set to -18*, In fridge mode is will use about 0.5Ah on average.

It's a good fridge also a warmer. Its dropped in price , was around $1100 , now down to about $850 in Australia. Runs on makita batteries also 240v I think, and car cigarette lighter plug.

davent said:

Lol of course it's just a lawnmower! They are a good mower, but lack torque to push through longer grass. Keep your lawns low and they're fine. Sure beats the getting fuel and engine maintenance of a petrol mower imo.

Heres a tip. Buy the makita copy batteries off Ebay. Just as good as the real deal but much much cheaper.

Only paid $5.00 for my Weaco CDF-15. {)
Went shopping for a temporary mower around the Bunno's.
Spotted it sitting on top of a table. ???
Had a look and thought, That is a compressor fridge. ???
Had a look inside, Clean as a whistle.
Did not smell of rotten food.
Bit dirty on the out side.

Bought it back, Made a lead, Works like a dream. :cool: :cool:

Cleaned it up and run it for a week at -5.

No drama's at all.
Now going to put it behind the console in my Prado.

Best score I have had for a long time.

Upside said:
davent said:

Lol of course it's just a lawnmower! They are a good mower, but lack torque to push through longer grass. Keep your lawns low and they're fine. Sure beats the getting fuel and engine maintenance of a petrol mower imo.

Heres a tip. Buy the makita copy batteries off Ebay. Just as good as the real deal but much much cheaper.

Nah, my makita is a petrol mower.
And by just a lawnmower, I mean, only just. Its victa thats for sure.

Thermo electric at a guess, at $740 AUD, a rip off and useless in the Aus heat.

You can buy a 55 lt duel zone Brass Monkey, inbuilt removable battery, wheels, handle for $599 here amongst other brands.

I was 16 when I left England, the first fridge my parents ever owned was about 3 months after we got to Oz. Never saw a house fridge in the U.K. other than a store, lol.

Tathradj said:
Only paid $5.00 for my Weaco CDF-15. {)
Went shopping for a temporary mower around the Bunno's.
Spotted it sitting on top of a table. ???
Had a look and thought, That is a compressor fridge. ???
Had a look inside, Clean as a whistle.
Did not smell of rotten food.
Bit dirty on the out side.

Bought it back, Made a lead, Works like a dream. :cool: :cool:

Cleaned it up and run it for a week at -5.

No drama's at all.
Now going to put it behind the console in my Prado.

Best score I have had for a long time.

Wow that's the deal of the century,

The CDF range I think are the best compact fridges money can buy,

I managed to pack enough food for a week in mine just to see if it could.

when it comes to power draw the worst I have seen it use 8.8Ah for 24 hours.

And the least it has used is about 4.60Ah for 24 hours which is about 0.192Ah per hour.

1619947143_dometic_cdf_18.jpg

davent said:
Ahhh fridge runner!
I reckon you must have at least 6 12 v fridges!

Good guess Dave, I got ARB 78L, 47L, and a CDF-18 and I got 2 more here that are going to other people,

I also have a 12v cooler I bought from Aldi's back in 2011 and I also have a Dometic TCX-35 which is the best powered cooler I have ever tested because it cycles like a fridge and gets seriously cold, And when I bought the Camper conversion for the Van It also came with a 24L Cooler.

If I had to pick the best it would be the ARB 78L and the CDF-18

condor22 said:
Thermo electric at a guess, at $740 AUD, a rip off and useless in the Aus heat.

You can buy a 55 lt duel zone Brass Monkey, inbuilt removable battery, wheels, handle for $599 here amongst other brands.

I was 16 when I left England, the first fridge my parents ever owned was about 3 months after we got to Oz. Never saw a house fridge in the U.K. other than a store, lol.

The Brass Monkey fridges are call Alpicool over here and the price of them is around the same as I paid for the CDF-18, I am after the BM/Alpicool 35L but they are always out of stock,

I am glad I had all these fridges because I have been able to store a heap of frozen food due to the current situation.

Aah, a situation we don't have here. Slightly off topic, during our Melbourne lockdown, the ABC news reported that Australia actually produces around 3 times more food than it consumes. Perhaps we should start sending "Parcels to Britain" lie in WW2. :)

condor22 said:
Aah, a situation we don't have here. Slightly off topic, during our Melbourne lockdown, the ABC news reported that Australia actually produces around 3 times more food than it consumes. Perhaps we should start sending "Parcels to Britain" lie in WW2. :)

I really miss a good Steak and peppered Steak, The Steaks here tastes more like it's boiled and the price of it here puts it out of reach of most people.

I have a fair supply of meat at the moment.

Ridge Runner said:
condor22 said:

I really miss a good Steak and peppered Steak, The Steaks here tastes more like it's boiled and the price of it here puts it out of reach of most people.

I have a fair supply of meat at the moment.
I could drop a slab of steak in a post-pak tube for ya RR :present: :lol: