A Few Of Guessologists Finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure does! Had an epic (for my area) afternoon. All out of a 3x3m patch on a permission I've walked many times before:

1618391216_img_20210414_183920_tigr_2.jpg

The coins just kept coming for about 30 minutes, 80% of the targets were either coins or interesting enough to keep, with not much iron falsing. Pennies:1889, 1891, 1903; Half pennies:1889, 1904, 1911, 1912; Thrips: 18xx (worn totally off), 1854, 1887

The button looking thing is mother of pearl on the big side, glass? on the pointy end:

1618391644_img_20210414_184022_tigr_2.jpg

I reckon if I hold off for some rain to get the halo effect working for me, and come back with the 6" coil I'll winkle some more out of the patch.

Like I'm gonna wait for rain:
[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/bsldFbZw_lw[/video]

So this rang up as an iffy 19-20, when it popped out I instantly thought 'fair enough, masked penny', then in the next instant thought 'hang on, it's silver!". Had to swing the detector over it again to see what it should ring up as, decided to film and share.

Everything from the same small patch, just digging iffier signals this time. A pretty toasted 1885 penny, 1862, 1910 thrips, a 1889 sixpence (my first pre-federation one I think), and an 1878 HALF CROWN :perfect: (bucket lister, first thing bigger than a florin). Pocket watch face for good measure.

1618480534_capture.jpg

1618480543_cap2.jpg

I think I can take a break for a while now, I don't think I'm going to keep up the good stuff at this rate...
1618828914_capture.jpg

All three from an old spot that hasn't given up a coin for me in the last several visits (first and only to this point was an 1854 penny with the old Go Find). The 1868 thrip came first, and I was satisfied that I'd broken the moz on the place and started heading back to where I'd parked. Within about 15m of the car, hit an inconsistent high signal that sounded like falsing iron that I couldn't pinpoint but decided to dig anyway as my last target for the day. After a bit of poking around, out popped the 1880 gothic florin! Only about an inch down in clean dirt, so I figured something weird was going on for such a busted signal. Swinging over again revealed another high pitched target, which turned out to be the 1816 shilling. Best value spill I've seen yet...

1618828922_capture2.jpg

Initially I was distracted by the beautiful condition of the Gothic Florin but having actually reading your post properly I now realise you have found a coin spill.Some further swinging at that location Im sure.Well done.

Wow, that's what I call a good day out on the silvers, the Gothic florin looks like it was a fresh drop back in the day.

A quick 15min swing over the half crown site with the 6" coil quickly turned up some more goodies; 1907 and 1910 threepences, a button "Double ring", and a cricket buckle. I think the buckle is missing an outer circle with text, the design matches one already in the book. Reading the buckle book PDF I realise that the funny looking thing I found in the first flush of items from this site is a sew-on buckle that takes tiny little centrepieces, I'll have to see if I can find it amongst the trash. There's lots of targets reading lower numbers still in there...

1619776631_capture.jpg

Been a while since I've gone for a swing, life's been getting in the way. Anyway camping up on the Murray provided me with a chance to detect over some new ground at night while the kiddos are asleep and don't need chasing. Got this in about 40 minutes of detecting (after 2 nights of not much at all except $5 of goldies):

1632307748_capture.jpg

I thought the aluminium from cans and bottle tops would be a bigger problem for detecting than it's turning out to be, I suspect the flood water might sweep the lighter metals away from where it's dropped? I also thought that horrible swamp water would be worse on the silvers than what I'm seeing here, might have to do this more often...

I realise on my last post months ago I was on a mission to find a hypothetical buckle centerpiece - I found it first go when I went back, about a meter away from where the buckle was. If I recall correctly, it was a bird in flight carrying a branch...

Latest posts