Can anyone help ID this...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sandta said:
Going with the globe theory
Maybe the image is Archimedes and his lever ...?

Now we're getting somewhere (I think)!
I've been looking up assegais (the possible African connection) and pikestaffs (medieval), but nothing looks anywhere near as solid and blunt as whatever that figure on the button is holding. Then along comes Sandta with his lever suggestion:
1619651941_archimedes1.jpg

and,

1619652045_archimedes2.jpg

In fact if I squint hard enough, I reckon I can almost make out that the figure on the button is standing on a plinth with the name "Archimedes" written on it.

Looks like everyone is following the same trail that Ive been down.... the above is all Ive come across referencing Edkins the silversmith.
Im pretty convinced its a gilt plated brass button, as why would it be back stamped as most are.
Heres another thought... maybe the figure is wearing a kilt and about to toss the Caber :/

Well, after a bit more digging, Im convinced this is was a badge worn by a firefighter belonging to the Protector Fire Insurance Company, London.... who attended fires of their insured clients with the same Fire Mark attached to their buildings.

https://www.christies.com/en/lot/lot-4375575
Fascinating historical research and credit goes to DB over at AMDRH forum. :clap: