Wollongong Beaches

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tillek

Ian
Reaction score
Whenever its warm & sunny I head down from Sydney to Austinmer - the beach is lovely & clean, beautiful for swimming etc, so being a lovely sunny winter day I headed down to try ,y luck at Coledale & Austinmer - bah humbug, why are these beaches so clean :(

I found 10c on the top of the sand at Coledale and a rusty piece of steel at Austinmer down about 8".....

Oh well - day off tomorrow so heading up to Sunny Corner, hopefully I can at least find a shilling there....

Not quite as sunny as Sydney and a bit windy out there but none of that mattered.. it was just good to get out & swing the detector around. Went to Bob's Creek, a spot just behind town (not far from the old stamper) and to a spot near the Copeland Tunnel strike.

The tally was 4 bits of wire, various rusty bits of metal and a rabbit trap, .303 shell, horsehoe, a very nasty spike and a horse's bit.
1372937149_sunnycorner.jpg

At least you got out and had a go, found very similar stuff there
myself. I've had a look around Bobs Creek Rd and around the pit
along there. When I soon get my 4x4 I'll be exploring further up
the back around Daylight Ck Rd and Mitchells Ck. Some interesting
looking geological boundaries around there.

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has found anything around the wollongong areas or it"s beaches. :)

I don't think most people would tell you too much denying themselves the opportunity,nothing personal :)

As per above,just get outside,enjoy the sunshine and see how you go :party:

Good luck :Y:

Hi

Thanks for the replies. I really guessed as much but thought I would try anyhow. You will not know if you don't ask the question. :) :)

Most,if not all of your area has been hit,there are guys on some of the FB sites who have done well. But the beaches always replenish so that's probably your best chance. Just remember to fill your holes,there has been problems in the park areas around the 'Gong with ppl not filling their holes.

pete165 said:
Hi

Just wondering if anyone has found anything around the wollongong areas or it"s beaches. :)

An article I found on Trove once for gold found in the vicinity of Shellharbour

GOLD MINE.In 1868 there was
quite a stir in the little village of
Shellharbour, by the discovery of
gold on Mr. Killalea's farm. Miners
there were making 10 to 12 shillings
a day which was then much more
standard wages. A lump of
amalgam 4 ounces in weight was
brought to Kiama. It was suggested
that a dredge be taken from Wollon-
gong to Shellharbour, but this was
not done, and no millionaires seem
to have been made by the Shellhar-
bour gold rush. I presume the gold
was won from the sand as it was
from the black sand on the North
Coast beaches in the nineties, by
passing the sand over mercury with
which the gold mixed to form an
amalgam.

The Mrs and I spent the day on the beaches around Wollongong. We only got $4 in coins and no relics, but the weather was nice and it was good fun. We may go back tomorrow but thinking somewhere else might be a better crack. Im very impressed with our new Equinox 800s. They are heaps more stable than our previous Nokta Impact. That said the Impact has found heaps more than the equinoxes so far lol.

Bear

Polar Bear :D I was born in Wollongong...73 YEARS AGO! :lol: :lol: and now reside in Shellharbour :cool: ...did you know there is something like 17 beachs in the Illawarra :eek: from Stanwell Park in the north to Gerringong in the South...so I'd suggest you come back sometime..maybe book into a motel or other and give it a real going over one weekend.Kiama is a very popular tourist venue(Chinese) and others and there's at least three beaches worth a try.Lake Illawarra entrance may prove good as well..lots of Sydneyites visit there on weekends and here in Shellyv there's 3-4 as well..Good luck with it in anycase...Regards Rossco(reefer)

Latest posts