Minelab GPX6000 release, general information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
orgone500 said:
Thanks for the info Nenad. Keen to soak up all the info you are happy to part with : ) How well does the "no threshold" mode work? Have you checked faint targets in this mode?

I have never been a fan of no threshold anything, except on a coin detector. But I know some people hate the hum, so Minelab were wise to put in that option. It works just fine, but you lose out on the deeper signals. Where you are getting that barely audible but repeatable "something" in the threshold; switch to no threshold mode, and 95% of the time you'd keep walking. If you want max performance, then my recommendations are manual sensitivity, or Auto+ with threshold.

PhaseTech said:
Sorry, just to add on the Normal vs Difficult. Sometimes when checking a target, the response in Normal would be the same - this would often be a slightly better or should I say "less tiny" bit of gold a little deeper. But detecting around and you'd get a lot more response from the ground. So I just got in the habit of using Difficult, and switching to Normal occasionally to check.

Hi Nenad
Did you get a chance to test the non-ferrous option out? could be very handy in areas full of trash.
Thanks

dirtdiggin said:
PhaseTech said:
Sorry, just to add on the Normal vs Difficult. Sometimes when checking a target, the response in Normal would be the same - this would often be a slightly better or should I say "less tiny" bit of gold a little deeper. But detecting around and you'd get a lot more response from the ground. So I just got in the habit of using Difficult, and switching to Normal occasionally to check.

Hi Nenad
Did you get a chance to test the non-ferrous option out? could be very handy in areas full of trash.
Thanks
Does it have one??? I dont think that option was mentioned in the manual?

Dave79 said:
Basically, if minelab and minelab dealers want to advertise the GPX6000, go for it. Just admit that it is an advertisement and don't try to pretend that it's just a prospectors with nothing to gain from increasing the sales of it giving an unbiased review of a new product. Sorry, but my bulls#!t detector rarely picks up false signals and you are clearly an employee of coiltek Maryborough.

I'm not reviewing anything,I haven't even used one.I wish to purchase one going on my experience of using minelabs products.
I've bought and used plenty of minelab detectors and found each new model to be superior to the previous model.
So going by that rule i'm choosing to step up again.I dont care who wants to buy it.The less people who buy it the better for me, more gold in the ground.

Goldchaser1 said:
maldongold said:
Picking up the 6000 tomorrow from Coilteks Maryborough store. :Y:

I was told next week over here,flyin solo a long way out into the gr vic desert to have a look at some country for the week on tues,first trip of the year,wife's in perth for the week,she can't pick it up either :mad:
Would of been nice to have it with me but without the 17 i'd use the 45 or 7 anyway.New country.
Oh well,no rush in the goldrush,its panned out pretty good actually,arriving at the start of the season for all.
Good luck with it MG,keen to hear early reports on it.....
Thanks cobber will post any finds on here.

Its look to me like they are charging heaps extra to take away a huge amount of settings.
It's great for the many people who never got their heads around gpx timings and gain/stabilizing etc but its limiting the manual controls makes me feel like it can be beaten by a good user of a gpx 5000 unless the main timing used is some huge improvement over any of the gpx timings.
I was hoping it would be able to adjust timings to suit the ground but it looks like it just turns the sensitivity up and down like a GM1000.
Also looks like there is no option for fixed ground balance.

It's a bit silly to see some advertising saying it will open up the goldfields again but then says it's not as capable as the gpz that has been around for years.

G'day

My mate picked his 6000 up today and is heading bush Monday so I should get some feedback in the week when he is in phone range or when he is back at the end of the week, price $7,999, you have to admire minelab for their balls to charge so much though :lol:

cheers

stayyerAU

They made it to the yilgarn craton early,no word on the 17" though,14dd is surprisingly light,lookin foward to giving it a run next week,14 will be goin on for the virgin country,skid plates look like they'll let a lot of dirt through unless taped also.....

StayyerAU said:
G'day

My mate picked his 6000 up today and is heading bush Monday so I should get some feedback in the week when he is in phone range or when he is back at the end of the week, price $7,999, you have to admire minelab for their balls to charge so much though :lol:

cheers

stayyerAU
1618562416_screenshot_at_2021-04-16_16-39-32.jpg

A SD 2000 cost $4900 USD in 1995. Inflation.
Pay for quality.

Goldchaser1 said:
maldongold said:

I was told next week over here,flyin solo a long way out into the gr vic desert to have a look at some country for the week on tues,first trip of the year,wife's in perth for the week,she can't pick it up either :mad:
Would of been nice to have it with me but without the 17 i'd use the 45 or 7 anyway.New country.
Oh well,no rush in the goldrush,its panned out pretty good actually,arriving at the start of the season for all.
Hey mate 8 nuggets today from a patch i've been flogging since 2002.Thought there would be bugger all left but there they were, nice bright signals.
Amazing machine quiet in hot ground,light and if it's metallic you'll hear it.I found a 1.34g nugget nearly 11 measured inches in depth and the signal was loud and clear.Have fun with it when it arrives. :Y:

maldongold said:
Goldchaser1 said:
maldongold said:

Hey mate 8 nuggets today from a patch i've been flogging since 2002.Thought there would be bugger all left but there they were, nice bright signals.
Amazing machine quiet in hot ground,light and if it's metallic you'll hear it.I found a 1.34g nugget nearly 11 measured inches in depth and the signal was loud and clear.Have fun with it when it arrives. :Y:
Good to hear :) well done!!
We need a "6000 user and finds thread" :)

maldongold said:
Goldchaser1 said:
maldongold said:

Impressive stuff MG,some good reports on FB i see also,was that with the 11 on it i'm guessing?
They arrived here on friday,so looking foward to next week....

I'm curious about the reports of finding pretty good sized nuggets with the 6000 in grounds previously hammered by other machines. Have any of you prior to digging these targets tried using your SDC's, GPX's, SD's or other machines over those targets to test to see if they could hear them or not?

Bear