Snake Gaiters

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also use the canvas DD ones - mine are 2 layer 16oz canvas, not sure all are double layer.

I have given the fronts a spray with a clear acrylic laquer to seal the threads so cobblers pegs,bindies & other seeds dont stick to them, not that they really stick to the canvas material anyway, but the hem can get full of them... but not anymore.

I detect on a number of properties and the owners woud be seriously upset if I was spreading weed seed so I try & do the right thing.

Also makes dust & mud wash off them much easier & I suspect helps the snakeproofing.

I wouldn't be to concerned about snakes unless you are in long grass/vegetation or rocky areas. Then a set of gaiters may help. Usually they move on before you have even seen them, make a bit of noise - bang the pick on the ground now and then should ward off most of them.

Speaking of gaiters, does any company make kevlar gaiters. I not convinced these canvas variants would be enough to stop the bite force of a decent brown or tiger, or Taipan for the Northern prospectors.

I want to buy some gaiters , could someone steer me in the right direction.. they have to be snake proof or the best . there are so many out there need feed back pls . :goldpan: :goldpan: :goldpan: they have to have pretty much no metal in them for detecting , so I am picky .

Just bought a pair called stoney creek snake gaitors. $120. Bought them in a hunting shop called Fat Rat in Kilmore Victoria . Make sure you try them on before you buy them. Hope this helps you out a bit. :Y:

Do they work? Maybe?
I have never seen any (news etc.) articles or posts about someone having their lives saved due to wearing gaiters.

I have the canvas models, not sure if I would put a lot of faith in them. Leather may be better as it is more denser and tougher. I would have thought there would be some made with or from Kevlar, considering it is pretty resistant to most things - they make fishing gloves out of it.

Cranky Emu said:
Do they work? Maybe?
I have never seen any (news etc.) articles or posts about someone having their lives saved due to wearing gaiters.

I have the canvas models, not sure if I would put a lot of faith in them. Leather may be better as it is more denser and tougher. I would have thought there would be some made with or from Kevlar, considering it is pretty resistant to most things - they make fishing gloves out of it.

Many may have had a snake strike and would not even been aware of it ? Loose fit as a member suggests and fangs even if they penetrate gaiter won't have the length to break skin.

I've got the DD's in rip-stop canvas, but nothing beats eternal vigilance and common sense. I suspect the double D's worn loosely would give you pretty close to as good protection as you will get with most Australian snakes, short of armor-like articulating steel or kevlar segments.

Maybe it's just a case of the lighter and more comfortable you want to be, the less risks you take with certain types of terrain and foliage and the more vigilant you are. I had a mate in Lilydale Vic who had a guy mowing his back yard in summer when a brown or tiger dropped down from a tree branch as he mowed under it, and dangled right in front of his face. Apparently in times of drought and lack of food supply they often climb trees looking for nests and eggs. If it had have bitten him on his face or neck it wouldn't have mattered what type of gaiters he was wearing. The same thing could happen while you were detecting in Whipstick scrub, a dry creek bed with a head high bank next to your face, walking in among the boulders or old timers diggings. One thing is certain though- anything beats barefoot, thongs, runners or shorts.

Cranky Emu said:
Do they work? Maybe?

They definitely work. Ive never even seen a snake while wearing mine, let alone been bitten by one. Did have a close encounter with a brown curled up under my green waste bin. I was only wearing thongs at the time so I put it down to incorrect footwear for taking out the rubbish. :lol:

The best advice I could give, is to get good quality heavy gaiters, that are designed for bushwalking & hiking - goretex if you can.

You might save a couple of $$ by buying cheaper ones, but if theyre a pain in the butt to put on and take off, or if theyre uncomfortable, youll eventually get sick of the hassle, and youll stop wearing them. PPE is only effective if its being used.

Good quality, replaceable heel straps, with strong front hooks for your laces are well worth having, and help keep things in place. Ive got a pair Ive been using for 10+ years in the Pilbara rock & spinifex and theyll probably see me out. If necessary, they can be cinched up tight, and Ive stepped (quickly) through calf deep water without getting my feet wet. I feel a bit naked, walking anywhere without them

SnakeProtex video .......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfXINWbpHNw

They're lightweight, flexible and comfortable to wear all day long.

I haven't seen a snake while out detecting, that doesn't mean they weren't there ..... remember it's NOT the ones you see that get you, it will be the one you don't see stepping over a log/tussock etc that will bring you undone.

I spoke to SnakeProTex with the suggestion that they bring out a set of gaiters without the metal bits and pieces as a business opportunity for detector operators, an it turns out they have such a set of gaiters in the pipeline.

David-Karratha said:
These are what I use, but the interference from metal fittings wasnt something Id considered (Im new to this whole metal detector thing). Theyre great gaiters, but wether theyre any good for detector users, Ill leave for others to opine upon.
https://www.paddypallin.com.au/rab-muztag-gore-tex-gaiter-men-s.html

Had a quick look at these .... seems they're more for protection from scrub/rocks and such rather than against snake strike (anythings still better than nothing).

In regard to Snakeprotex and metal in zips ... has never been problem in 6 plus years of using them.

Mr T - yep. No idea on their snake-proof status, but theyre pretty damn tough. Pretty much all the vegetation Ive been through either is spikey or has thorns of some kind. Never been punctured yet.

Mind you, theres snakes, and then there are SNAKES.

1639899560_file.jpg

Latest posts