Snake Gaiters

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually that's a valid point worth mentioning Redfin. The Coastal Taipan supposedly has the longest Fangs of any Aussie snake, measuring up to 14mm long, and for the 3rd most deadliest snake in the world, and with a distribution from far north WA all around the top coast to roughly Grafton in northern NSW, maybe some of those heavier duty Gaiters would be better for some situations?

I kind of admire our American prospector brethren also. At least we don't have to deal with Bears, Bobcats & Wolves. :skull:

Thanks for the replies. I have been looking for a while and needed another opinion. SnakeProtex are on order. Found them on special. I'll feel safer in a few weeks when I'm crashing through the long grass and lantana. :D

We purchased some of the DD for our last trip, we found them to be easy to put on, they do not do up tight around the leg as they tend to sit on the front part of the boots and heels and self support, we had long trousers/trackies on and the idea was that as they were not tight against the leg, there was some air circulation and IF there was a snake bite there was a fair bit of loose material and space for the fangs to get through before they get to skin. Leather ones are mostly fitted tighter up against the leg and do not breath and from previous experience with them, they get hot and sweaty very quickly. They cannot say "will stop" as that means things can go wrong.

Graham

Yep, I use the DD Canvas and love them. As mentioned don't do them up tight, as you want some space between your leg and the snake. I'm happy with mine, but I've never been bitten so I haven't put them to the test. And I guess if they don't work then I won't be around to report on them anyway :awful:

Deepseeker said:
Yep, I use the DD Canvas and love them. As mentioned don't do them up tight, as you want some space between your leg and the snake. I'm happy with mine, but I've never been bitten so I haven't put them to the test. And I guess if they don't work then I won't be around to report on them anyway :awful:

Cool thanks. What size did you go for? Measured my leg looks like Id need a small. Im 510

Pretty sure I went medium (I'm only 5'6), So you'd probably need the large I'd say. I think somewhere on their site from memory though there was a rough measurement guide for ankle to knee or something. Can't imagine a 5'10 person needing small though (if so, I'd hate to meet the guy who needs large!) , you might be better off checking with them first

I got the large ones, I am 5'10, this measurement guide is from their web site and mine are maybe just a fraction big, but preferred them to the shorter ones, they have not caused any problem and more leg coverage. :lol: :lol:

When picking out your size make sure you pick a size that will sit at 2 inches under the back of your knee so that when you bend down it wont cut in the back of your knee

sizes

sml 32 cm, med 36 cm, lg 42 cm height

Graham

VicGoldHunter said:
Will the canvas be enough for the job? Didnt really like reading may help in prevention of snake bites. Anyone got a pair what do you think?

https://doubledleather.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=78

Nothing is proof only resistant why because at some point pretty much most things will fail due to wear and tear or just old age/damage. Everything will last longer if you look after what ever it is.

The smartest thing you can do is KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN and look for snakes, if you see one walk away from it. Another way to put you at ease is go and spend some time with a snake expert if you are not confident, which seems to be the case. There is no fool proof go to gadgets when it comes to wildlife. Gaiters are better than nothing and best improve your chances of not being bitten on the lower leg only plus they work better when coupled with common sense and diligence. So if you are worried about the wording to emphasise "MAY" remember when you bend down to find a target in your scoop you could be bitten on the hand :eek: So this tells us not even the best or worst gaiters will be of any benefit what so ever in this case.

That's right Graham, you've jogged my memory. You need them just under the knees so you can bend down without them cutting in. :Y:

Gday

Only ones I have seen that say guaranteed to prevent snake bite are these ones, been trying to find the stockist in my area to have look at them, I have been using the canvas type ones worn over long pants, but still reckon a bigger snake could maybe get the fangs through, mainly use them to keep prickles and other bities out of the boots, and stuff like spinifex spears and such, always keep a sharp eye out anyway just in case. :skull:

https://snakeprotex.com

cheers

stayyerAU

Hi i have a pair of the original snake protex(about 2 years old now)comfortable to wear even when digging,can get a bit hot in summer but if you want puncture proof, you have to give a little bit of comfort up,touch wood have not been hit yet to test them,before i bought them had a chat to a mate about them, he is in the i like to cuddle snake's crowd, and i can't remember if it was the wa dugite or one of the death adder's, that he said "may have enough bite pressure to puncture them" rest of the snake's all good, but like all gaiter's anything above the knee is fair game :skull:

https://snakeguardz.com
"SnakeGuardzare constructed with 1000 denier Nylon encasing polycarbonate inserts which stop the fangs of poisonous snakes. Snake Guardzare snakeproof to 17" high-just like snake boots. Weighing only 11 oz each, they are puncture resistant tested to ASTM 1342-05 standards and stop a 12-guage shotgun blast at 20 yards!"
"Guaranteed Snakeproof Protection"

I've never tried them & they look pretty uncomfortable to me? Maybe someone using them might comment?

If you are just using the generic canvas or leather ones (like DD leather type) remember to keep a reasonably loose fit with the gaiters & your trousers underneath as said above. Give the snakes something to chew on apart from ya leg .

Im happy with my DD canvas gaiters.... they are quality made and pretty tough. Havent had the bite test yet luckily :argh:
Hows Tib after the big wet ?

thanks for info ,country looks good up there only spent 1/2day prospecting got 1/2 dozen bits i make story up in the next few days nice and green up there , weather was perfect mozzies were bit friendly play with my drone trying to get it ready for wa

Latest posts