Best way to clean up an old brass buckle?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1618221904_img_20210412_091437_161.jpg

Hi all, just after a sure fire way to clean up this buckle to make it looking as good as it can look..since Mackka has given me homework, I want to do the best job I can as to not let him down :lol:
I've seen on googles with the salt flour and vinegar method, just wondering if you guys know a good one,cheers Luke :Y:

Dave79 said:
Brasso and a soft wire toothbrush works ok as long as it's not too thin and delicate.
Cheers Dave, now when you say 'wire' do you mean bristled? It's not delicate at all so that won't be a problem.. the wreath half is pretty corroded I think but there's no coming back from that is there

mineallmine said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co.../14915/1618221904_img_20210412_091437_161.jpg
Hi all, just after a sure fire way to clean up this buckle to make it looking as good as it can look..since Mackka has given me homework, I want to do the best job I can as to not let him down :lol:
I've seen on googles with the salt flour and vinegar method, just wondering if you guys know a good one,cheers Luke :Y:
Gday Luke... with my brass finds I usually drop them in my ultrasonic cleaner which just cleans off the surface dirt and grit, then once dried I gently brush with a fine brass wire brush, then move on to a fine stainless steel wire brush and finally very fine steel wool, depending how much oxidation there is to remove.
Generally you can leave or remove as much patina as you wish, depending on the look that you want.
Heres a solid brass doorknob before and after.
Cheers Adrian.
1618223181_7ad200e3-e26d-44fb-bcba-bae80178239c.jpg

1618223181_3a315bf6-8073-4225-a2a8-a6b82424c316.jpg

OzzieAu said:
mineallmine said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co.../14915/1618221904_img_20210412_091437_161.jpg
Gday Luke... with my brass finds I usually drop them in my ultrasonic cleaner which just cleans off the surface dirt and grit, then once dried I gently brush with a fine brass wire brush, then move on to a fine stainless steel wire brush and finally very fine steel wool, depending how much oxidation there is to remove.
Generally you can leave or remove as much patina as you wish, depending on the look that you want.
Heres a solid brass doorknob before and after.
Cheers Adrian.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...3181_7ad200e3-e26d-44fb-bcba-bae80178239c.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...3181_3a315bf6-8073-4225-a2a8-a6b82424c316.jpg
Cheers Adrian, that's come up looking great

I have noticed that most of your brass/ copper finds have more of the green crusty deposits than what my similar relics have. This is possibly due to the wetter environment in your area, as my finds generally are recovered from drier soils.
My cleaning methods may not be as effective on your finds.... so if youre having trouble with just a hand brush, then a Dremmel with a wire wheel works well. :Y:

OzzieAu said:
I have noticed that most of your brass/ copper finds have more of the green crusty deposits than what my similar relics have. This is possibly due to the wetter environment in your area, as my finds generally are recovered from drier soils.
My cleaning methods may not be as effective on your finds.... so if youre having trouble with just a hand brush, then a Dremmel with a wire wheel works well. :Y:
Oh ok thanks for the tip!!
That green may be greener from the filter that has been applied on the pic too :playful:

Latest posts