Minelab GPX6000 release, general information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The testing a mate and I undertook with the Nugget Finder Zed Search coil compared to the standard coil was a valid approach that produced interesting results. In this situation, two zeds were setup with the different coils and identical settings that worked well in a specific area. We would then detect as normal (in close proximity to each other.) Obvious signals were handled as per normal and the target recovered. Really faint signals were what we were after. If either machine picked up a subtle break in the threshold, the other machine would then be used to check that sound before any digging took place. A painful process really but it was worth it in the long run. This process was used in a number of different locations using settings that worked well in those areas. The results achieved are not important here as this thread is based on the GPX6000. I will be getting a gpx when it comes out and will conduct similar tests between the zed the 6 to see where each machine shines. (I will have the Zed Search coil bolted to the 7000 when conducting these tests) Results will be posted when these tests are undertaken. I may also use a similar approach using the 6 and the sdc. Fun times ahead.

Cheers

Les

Lesgold said:
The testing a mate and I undertook with the Nugget Finder Zed Search coil compared to the standard coil was a valid approach that produced interesting results. In this situation, two zeds were setup with the different coils and identical settings that worked well in a specific area. We would then detect as normal (in close proximity to each other.) Obvious signals were handled as per normal and the target recovered. Really faint signals were what we were after. If either machine picked up a subtle break in the threshold, the other machine would then be used to check that sound before any digging took place. A painful process really but it was worth it in the long run. This process was used in a number of different locations using settings that worked well in those areas. The results achieved are not important here as this thread is based on the GPX6000. I will be getting a gpx when it comes out and will conduct similar tests between the zed the 6 to see where each machine shines. (I will have the Zed Search coil bolted to the 7000 when conducting these tests) Results will be posted when these tests are undertaken. I may also use a similar approach using the 6 and the sdc. Fun times ahead.

Cheers

Les
The z search isnt in the same league as the x coils, tests against x coils would be what I would want to see

Cant comment as I dont own one. The more info that comes out from a variety of tests/ coils is what interests me. I am am sure someone will take up the challenge from your perspective. Perhaps you can add your own data to help us along the way when the 6 is released. I can only do what I can with what Ive got. My testing will be basically done for selfish reasons to compare the machines that I will be using. If someone finds that interesting and/ or helpful, thats good. There will also be a stack of people out there who will have no interest what so ever in what I post. Thats also OK and to be expected. Mec30, your comment could be an interesting thread on its own. I would be really interested in reading about the two coils. Anyway, back to the GPX6000.........

Cheers

Les

I was kinda not keen on the 6000 as I have a 7000....Am swayed to own both now after hearing more....
Another tool in the arsenal. :D

The 7 with x coils sounds like the top performer these days,getting my other half to chop the lead on her 14 is another matter all together,the NF 12 is a nice coil but she put the 14 back on,she's just used to it and ground coverage is near as important in wa.
Back to the 6,the bloke i spoke to that got to play with one for a cuppla days ,when i asked about how the 17" coil went etc he also said he got the feeling that the coils are not chipped,he said he's not 100% sure so that might not be right but if aftermarket coils are not available for it down the track it will be a major disappointment. So maybe a ray of sunshine there if there's any truth to that.
There's a dry blower demo day on in coolgardie tomorrow,they've got a 6 there also,might go for a squizz if i find the time......

GemQ said:
So what user tests would people like to see been done that would prove the worth of the 6000? Im sure we are going to be swamped by air tests, tests in inert soil and comparisons with machines that blind Freddy would know it should out perform. There are a lot of glass half empties out there, what test would sway the glass to full?

The all day swing test and the thick bush test. :trophy:

kingswood said:
I was kinda not keen on the 6000 as I have a 7000....Am swayed to own both now after hearing more....

Well there ya go kingswood,horses for courses,if i was flying solo i'd probably have a 7 and a cuppla of x coils and be satisfied with that.
Ive allways been of the opinion 2 of us walking the same area with the same setup is not ideal,i was gonna grab a gpz this year though until news of the 6 started surfacing,i would of still patch hunted with the 45 i'd say,ive stuck with the 45 and the boss with the gpz,i think there's benefits to running different machines over the same areas.
So i'm pretty stoked,if the 6 pings a few bits the gpz misses and vise versa it's an ideal situation for us.
Couldn't agree more,more tools makes the job easier :power:
I just hope the delays are due to them making sure the 17" mono is available from the get go...

Reg Wilson said:
Correct, I have never stated that the QED is superior to the GPZ nor the GPX. What I have said is that in certain conditions the QED (If you have a good one) will come close to the more expensive detectors.
The good points of the QED are light weight and good signal response, making it a good prospecting machine in most conditions. (perhaps not in some WA ground)
Maldon Gold, you missed a 27.7 oz nugget at Muckleford. I didn't.
True but i dont have the luxury of detecting all day everyday.

Goldchaser1 said:
kingswood said:

Well there ya go kingswood,horses for courses,if i was flying solo i'd probably have a 7 and a cuppla of x coils and be satisfied with that.
Ive allways been of the opinion 2 of us walking the same area with the same setup is not ideal,i was gonna grab a gpz this year though until news of the 6 started surfacing,i would of still patch hunted with the 45 i'd say,ive stuck with the 45 and the boss with the gpz,i think there's benefits to running different machines over the same areas.
So i'm pretty stoked,if the 6 pings a few bits the gpz misses and vise versa it's an ideal situation for us.
I just hope the delays are due to them making sure the 17" mono is available from the get go...
I love my 7000 and that will be the primary machine...But, issue for me is buggered shoulders. I detect for 4 hours with the 7 and literally am in agony for a couple of days after :(
I have left it in the cupboard plenty of times as I just couldnt be bothered...it wont find gold in there ;)
the 6000 gives me a lighter option so more time on the ground...find a few bits, back with the 7 later.
Options :)

kingswood said:
Goldchaser1 said:
kingswood said:

I love my 7000 and that will be the primary machine...But, issue for me is buggered shoulders. I detect for 4 hours with the 7 and literally am in agony for a couple of days after :(
I have left it in the cupboard plenty of times as I just couldnt be bothered...it wont find gold in there ;)
the 6000 gives me a lighter option so more time on the ground...find a few bits, back with the 7 later.

Yep i'm hearing ya kingswood,are you using a hip stick?
My better half's 5ft and about 55kg,can go all day with the 7,the hip stick makes it easy...

Goldchaser1 said:
kingswood said:
Goldchaser1 said:
kingswood said:

My better half's 5ft and about 55kg,can go all day with the 7,the hip stick makes it easy...
no :( Issue with me is sheer weight related. I have an actual diagnosis on my non-swing arm. This is the one that cops the most issues, related to the harness strap running over it...Need surgery eventually :(
Would be a huge improvement to swing something without having to have a harness strap compressing the effected area!!

kingswood said:
Goldchaser1 said:
kingswood said:
Goldchaser1 said:
kingswood said:

no :( Issue with me is sheer weight related. I have an actual diagnosis on my non-swing arm. This is the one that cops the most issues, related to the harness strap running over it...Need surgery eventually :(
Would be a huge improvement to swing something without having to have a harness strap compressing the effected area!!

oh ok
a bloke in wa put us onto this setup years ago,camelback,a big hefty leather belt for the hip stick socket to attach to and hip stick of course,it's easy swinging,wife had shoulder surgery a few years ago also....

near all the weight is transferred to ya hip...

Hip stick sounds interesting. Have seen mate use one.
Will investigate more, But its really the harness that buggers me :(

If you have a 7000 do yourself a favour and get a hipstick, they can be fiddly while digging but even slightly built old farts can go double the time of the 7000 harness system.

Big Johno said:
If you have a 7000 do yourself a favour and get a hipstick, they can be fiddly while digging but even slightly built old farts can go double the time of the 7000 harness system.

They make life easy,i got onto them when i had a crook back,only drawback is if ya out there a fair bit there a high wear item,we usually average about 2 a year each,i make my own now from bits gathered off the net,there's not much to them....

Edit
Posts are to be on topic and written with the intent to make a positive contribution to the discussion, negative contributions may be removed without notice, multiple negative contributions may lead to bans ranging from 3 days to a permanent ban".

I didnt realise it was allowed. Beware the next person that asks me how its going and have I found anything. :lol:

Latest posts