You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

Polar Bear
01 April 2021 10:12 am

Gday all,

I have a pick that I bought a couple of years ago. It's well made and I do like it. I haven't used it it in 6months or so and when I took it out the other day I noticed that the handle was loose in the fitting. I've seen some videos about soaking the head in oil but looking for advice on how to best fix this so my pick head isn't loose.
Thank you in advance for any advice.

Bear

Minelab SDC2300 SD 2200d, Equinox 800, Nokta Impact, Sluice, Highbanker, Pans and Sieves

1 user likes this post: Solid Luck

Jaros
01 April 2021 10:22 am

What if you spread some epoxy or Sikaflex around the end of the handle and let it set overnight.

F1A4M2, Exterra 705 Gold, Ace 250, Goldrat 8" Dreammat River Sluice.

4 users like this post: Polar Bear, Smoky bandit, A-team, Nightjar

bluejeansronald
01 April 2021 10:41 am

Hi Polar Bear, Thats one of my picks, The best way to go cut 50mm of and cut the handle down down and drive it in tight, If you are only going to use for one day now and then just soak in water over night will swell enough for one day, Hope this helps, Ron.

6 users like this post: Polar Bear, Nightjar, mbasko, StoneTheCrows, goody2shoes, RM Outback

BigWave
01 April 2021 11:30 am

How about taking the handle out then use liquid nails before re-installing.

GPX-4500 & Direction Finding Daughter

5 users like this post: mbasko, Nightjar, Polar Bear, mond, goody2shoes

limpalot
01 April 2021 11:42 am

A coating of Linseed Oil on all handles will pro-long their life, helps to slow the drying out too. You can thin the Linseed oil with Turps, small sips are best.

Last edited by limpalot (01 April 2021 11:43 am)

Home made sluices x 2 & highbanker, ATX, Garret Supa Sluice, Quanta pan, 2008 - minelab 4500, SPO1, Makro Gold Kruzer

4 users like this post: Polar Bear, mond, Mackka, goody2shoes

Mike678
01 April 2021 02:42 pm

I have never liked putting handles in water , you will have to do it all the time . As the wood dries and swells . Make the wood handle as dry as possible , put in strong sun , then shape and fit to handle . An old fitter I worked with put his hammer handles on top of a furnace , to dry them out .

Frank , a plumber , kept all his tools with a wooden handle in a large bucket of linseed oil . He said he never had one brake .

New hat !

1 user likes this post: RM Outback

StoneTheCrows
01 April 2021 04:25 pm

bluejeansronald wrote:

Hi Polar Bear, Thats one of my picks, The best way to go cut 50mm of and cut the handle down down and drive it in tight, If you are only going to use for one day now and then just soak in water over night will swell enough for one day, Hope this helps, Ron.

How good is that
Buy local and if any issues log a post and you can speak to the boss thumbsup

4 users like this post: Mackka, goody2shoes, RM Outback, Syndyne

bluejeansronald
01 April 2021 07:39 pm

Hi Guys, All my handles are linseed oiled before i fit them, Some handles will srink more then others I had a bloke sent one back the handle nearly turned around in the eye, I put the handles in a piece of down pipe in the sun to dry them a bit more bring them down to about 10 % moist content to try stop srinkage, Ron

2 users like this post: RM Outback, sand surfer

Polar Bear
02 April 2021 06:26 am

bluejeansronald wrote:

Hi Guys, All my handles are linseed oiled before i fit them, Some handles will srink more then others I had a bloke sent one back the handle nearly turned around in the eye, I put the handles in a piece of down pipe in the sun to dry them a bit more bring them down to about 10 % moist content to try stop srinkage, Ron

I love this pick Ron,
I have the small one and medium as well. I use the small one heaps. These are very well made. Thanks for the tips on the handle mate.

Bear

Minelab SDC2300 SD 2200d, Equinox 800, Nokta Impact, Sluice, Highbanker, Pans and Sieves

RockRat
02 April 2021 08:24 am

Complete waste of time putting any type of glue to secure your handle.

I make my own similar to bluejeans, but i cut a slit about 3 mil wide the
length of the pipe the handle goes into, the handle diameter is bigger
than the diameter of the pipe, as the handle goes into the pipe it expands
the pipe and grips the handle extra tight, then i weld the handle and pipe
to the pick head. Doing it this way any shrinkage in the handle is taken
up by the tension in the pipe. Sure you get a bit of smoke when welding,
a spray of water after fix's that. Never had one come loose. gemstone pickshovel

Moneybox
02 April 2021 11:55 am

Polar Bear wrote:
bluejeansronald wrote:

I love this pick Ron,
I have the small one and medium as well. I use the small one heaps. These are very well made. Thanks for the tips on the handle mate.

Bear

Yes this is a very nice pick even though I though it looked a bit crude the first time I saw it. My handle broke right against the pipe and I just filed it down in the field and reinserted it but drilled it through and put a small bolt through. It's never come loose but needs a bit of a rebuild on the pointy end each year.

Phil, Sandra & Taz - GPX4500's, SDC2300's, White's Goldmaster GMT, Equinox 800, pans, sieves and more in a 4WD motorhome.

Upside
02 April 2021 03:22 pm

Duct tape and wd40 fixes all.

Tathradj
02 April 2021 07:01 pm

Have my "Rony Pick" for close to 4 years and have not had
a problem at all with it.

I asked Ron to make the handle a bit longer for me.

Goes through hard ground like a knife. : ) smile

A couple of HiBankers inc. accessories, , QED, 4500, SDC2300, Gt1600,
Aldi, A Prado 4x4, A'Van Cruiseliner and a heck of a lot of determination.
Most importantly, A lot of Good Honest Friends. Maybe one day Lucky.

1 user likes this post: A-team

reefer
03 April 2021 09:10 am

Of course, you could also go to bunnings and buy a couple of 'handle wedges'...they have them in various sizes, I would drive the handle in so as to leave about 5mm above the shank or whatever they call the opening for the handle and then drive the wedge in, till it's 5mm below that. That should fix it real good. big_smile

Last edited by reefer (03 April 2021 09:11 am)

We swear by the Southern Cross, to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our Rights and Liberties.

1 user likes this post: A-team

bluejeansronald
03 April 2021 09:25 am

Hi Polar Bare, I had a look in the shed i have a few handles left if you like to mail me your name and address i send a new well dried handle ready to drive strait in tight no charge, Cheers, Ron.

8 users like this post: Tathradj, Jaros, limpalot, A-team, BigWave, RM Outback, sand surfer, Syndyne

Jaros
03 April 2021 09:28 am

Great service BJR.

F1A4M2, Exterra 705 Gold, Ace 250, Goldrat 8" Dreammat River Sluice.

1 user likes this post: Mackka

Polar Bear
06 April 2021 03:11 pm

bluejeansronald wrote:

Hi Polar Bare, I had a look in the shed i have a few handles left if you like to mail me your name and address i send a new well dried handle ready to drive strait in tight no charge, Cheers, Ron.

Thank you Ron

2 users like this post: Wishfull, GreenRiver

bluejeansronald
07 April 2021 02:59 pm

Hi Bear, Handle posted tracking no mail to your box. Have a nice day. Ron.

2 users like this post: RM Outback, BigWave

Polar Bear
08 April 2021 03:01 pm

Top Bloke Ron

Thank you,, I really appreciate it. This pick has been by far the best one I've had. I want to keep her going!!

Bear

1 user likes this post: RM Outback