Snake Identification information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks a bit like a Childrens Python. Common up north, everywhere in the NT. We used to have a few as pets.

Definitely a python though, has the broad head. If he opens his mouth you won't see fangs, rather rows of teeth. Bite may draw a little blood but no venom. Like most pythons, usually very chilled. Quite easy to handle but not advised by me of course :D

goody2shoes said:
Did she nock it on the head? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes. It's now in snake heaven.
⚠️ Protected By Law
Native Australian animals, including snakes, are protected by law in all states and territories of Australia and may not be killed unless they threaten life. Offences under the various state Nature/Conservation/Biodiversity Acts carry severe penalties.​

Upside said:
Mackka said:
Shame as ALL snakes are Protected.
Mackka

I don't wanna get into a protecting snakes argument but my family comes first if there's a venomous snake in my yard. :pickshovel:

Agree family comes first ..... but a couple of points for future reference.

1 .... if you're in an area where pythons are common learn to recognise them from any potentially venomous species.

2 ... if ID'd as venomous (and no immediate danger) get in touch with a local snake catcher, most councils can give you contact numbers and they'll "relocate" both venomous and non-venomous species.

Oh, and if in doubt ..... still try just avoiding it (and calling your snake catcher), more people get bitten trying to DIY than in the "wild".

Bugger, if it could have happened, chuck it in a box and post it to me... alive please.

However, if you are in fear or threat by a snake, bump it off and ask for forgiveness if anyone complains.
People first, kids before that, any animal further down the food chain.

I have handled a few snakes, non venomous and venomous, need to know what you are doing because it is high risk.

Of course dont try it if you can avoid any handling of a snake, still venomous when dead if you get scraped by fangs after removing the head, shovel work to move it.
Use the same shovel to bury it deep or where the dog wont get to it.

Yep snake catchers charge well.

Pity about the Python, lovely creatures when you know what they are, keep the rodents and crawling bugs away too.

;)

Snake catching was a game we used to play as kids... like wasp nest hunting but you looked under old sheets of tin and the likes.
Was lots of fun

LoneWolf said:
You are allowed to kill a Snake if it is in Your Home or is a threat to you and your Family..... Media outlets will say all sorts of BS....

LW....

"Can I kill a snake that is on my property?
No. All Queensland reptiles are protected by law and are considered an intricate part of our natural ecosystem. Attempting to catch or kill protected wildlife can be exceedingly dangerous, and carries a maximum penalty of 5 years behind bars, or a $77,000 fine."

https://southeastsnakecatcher.com.au/frequently-asked-questions/