help with loose handle on my pick

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gday all,

I have a pick that I bought a couple of years ago. It's well made and I do like it. I haven't used it it in 6months or so and when I took it out the other day I noticed that the handle was loose in the fitting. I've seen some videos about soaking the head in oil but looking for advice on how to best fix this so my pick head isn't loose.
Thank you in advance for any advice.

Bear

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/XqlHlhSGk3U[/video]

I have never liked putting handles in water , you will have to do it all the time . As the wood dries and swells . Make the wood handle as dry as possible , put in strong sun , then shape and fit to handle . An old fitter I worked with put his hammer handles on top of a furnace , to dry them out .

Frank , a plumber , kept all his tools with a wooden handle in a large bucket of linseed oil . He said he never had one brake .

bluejeansronald said:
Hi Polar Bear, Thats one of my picks, The best way to go cut 50mm of and cut the handle down down and drive it in tight, If you are only going to use for one day now and then just soak in water over night will swell enough for one day, Hope this helps, Ron.

How good is that
Buy local and if any issues log a post and you can speak to the boss :Y:

Hi Guys, All my handles are linseed oiled before i fit them, Some handles will srink more then others I had a bloke sent one back the handle nearly turned around in the eye, I put the handles in a piece of down pipe in the sun to dry them a bit more bring them down to about 10 % moist content to try stop srinkage, Ron

bluejeansronald said:
Hi Guys, All my handles are linseed oiled before i fit them, Some handles will srink more then others I had a bloke sent one back the handle nearly turned around in the eye, I put the handles in a piece of down pipe in the sun to dry them a bit more bring them down to about 10 % moist content to try stop srinkage, Ron

I love this pick Ron,
I have the small one and medium as well. I use the small one heaps. These are very well made. Thanks for the tips on the handle mate.

Bear

Complete waste of time putting any type of glue to secure your handle.

I make my own similar to bluejeans, but i cut a slit about 3 mil wide the
length of the pipe the handle goes into, the handle diameter is bigger
than the diameter of the pipe, as the handle goes into the pipe it expands
the pipe and grips the handle extra tight, then i weld the handle and pipe
to the pick head. Doing it this way any shrinkage in the handle is taken
up by the tension in the pipe. Sure you get a bit of smoke when welding,
a spray of water after fix's that. Never had one come loose. :gemstone: :pickshovel:

Polar Bear said:
bluejeansronald said:

I love this pick Ron,
I have the small one and medium as well. I use the small one heaps. These are very well made. Thanks for the tips on the handle mate.

Bear

Yes this is a very nice pick even though I though it looked a bit crude the first time I saw it. My handle broke right against the pipe and I just filed it down in the field and reinserted it but drilled it through and put a small bolt through. It's never come loose but needs a bit of a rebuild on the pointy end each year.

Have my "Rony Pick" for close to 4 years and have not had
a problem at all with it.

I asked Ron to make the handle a bit longer for me.

Goes through hard ground like a knife. : ) :)

Of course, you could also go to bunnings and buy a couple of 'handle wedges'...they have them in various sizes, I would drive the handle in so as to leave about 5mm above the shank or whatever they call the opening for the handle and then drive the wedge in, till it's 5mm below that. That should fix it real good. :D

Latest posts