Sapphire Bend, Oberon NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All

Just confirmed through e-mail from the Oberon Visitors Centre about this weekends car rally at Black Springs this weekend. Looks like its going to be busy and a place to keep clear.

Yes, there is in fact the AMSAG Car Rally on at Black Springs this Saturday 3rd (they will be arriving on Friday night and leaving Sunday) some stay in town here but quite a few will be camped at Black Springs.
Regards,

Debra Marks
Visitor Information Centre Officer

Went out to sapphire bend yesterday, late because of rally so brought my concentrated wash home to clean now (wish me luck) the thing is I went in far and dug deep took a pincer shovel a mattock and shovel, so hoping to find little bit of gold with sapphire.
Found two blueys two weeks ago will put pics up later when I figure out how to upload. I'm thinking it's that picture button above where I'm typing now.

Jebus said:
I was just on my phone but yea I use windows will install later cheers

Sometimes a screen shot will upload, if you crop the screenshot you increase the likelihood of it uploading due to the size reduction.

1541296853_img_20181104_130014.jpg

That's what I have to sort through today hopefully not more than a couple of hours... Thanks I just cropped it down in the camera app

Hi All, does anyone know how Sapphire Bend is doing after all the wet weather? Did it get hit with much water - are all the holes filled with water?

I have a few days off coming up and I need to get out for a dig - been locked up for far too long :(

Cheers

Pete

You should consider going to grabben gullen, I heard it was heavily flooded, maybe mixed up the public fossicking area around the bridge and deposited some more sapphires ! Im going there next week for a few days

I'm out here for work so popped into Sapphire Bend this arvo for a look, every hole is full of water. The double edged sword of it is that you can't see what you're doing but the digging is a million times easier with soaked ground!

Also, Kotolos, very keen to hear how you go down at GG!! I've only been there a couple of times but am very keen to get back down there soon after all this water clears.

Does anyone know if the recent rains has affected Blue Hills quarry Oberon as I'm thinking of heading up there soon but don't want to head into a boggy mess.

First time I've heard of blue hill, and now after a quick google I'm keen as to get out there!!
To answer your question though I can almost guarantee it's a boggy mess. I went for a drive through Vulcan sf while I was there on Tuesday arvo and everything was soaked and full of water. The small quarry just north of black Springs is a slippery mess, so blue hill will definitely be the same.

BUT as with sapphire bend, if you're game to get in there the digging will never be any easier than it is right now (meaning the clay is soaked so is very easy to dig through)

Dan

Are the water logged holes you are referring to at the fossicking area near the main sign or the holes up on Sapphire bend road.

I didn't have a good look up sapphire bend road, but the holes at the public area were all full, and every dip in the ground by the side of the road was a puddle so I'd say they'd be much the same

Dropped in to the bend on Saturday, just about every hole I saw in the forest was full of water. The creek at porters was very high, and the place was the busiest Ive ever seen it in 6 years of digging there. :argh:

phantom and dan, I went to grabben gullen last week twice, water level is high but normal no problems its dropped, my two previous holes I was digging next to the creek on the embankment were full of overburden so water must been high enough to dump stuff in them, Anyway I dug nearby and found 25 sapphire and zircon few clear ones and a 16.6ct sapphire!! have a look on gemstones minerals show n tell pg. 80 - contrary to what I've heard others say and on posts, I've had alot and the most success at grabben gullen found lots of stones and many good clear ones