GPX5000 Settings

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting not only for the GPXs, scrubbing the coil also shorten the life of coils. When you look inside a coil it easy to understand, once the filling has been compressed it doesn`t return to shape completely, then the wire coils are no longer completely fixed thus you hardly notice it but coils start to degrade the moment you use them, a little at a time until you suddenly wonder what all the extra noise is. It is a trade off but I`ve learnt to keep my coil close but never scrubbing for life of the coil and in hot ground to lessen the effect of mineralisation.

polky said:
Hi KM, are you familiar with Rocky area. A work mate has invited me to detect
On his property just after the Emu park turn off. Apparently he has 30 acres with old diggings on top of a hill and down the side.
Thanks Polky

Hi Polky,

Im looking to find someone in the CQ area to possibly get some tips and knowledge so i can get to know my GPX5000 if you guys would be keen to catch up. Im in Biloela and have been out here a few times and only found bullets etc. Even keen to do a trip to Clermont if anyone else is.

Regards,

Brad

LORD said:
ASteve V2.0 said:
12. Call me a nerd but I have a journal for record keeping.... photos are added so I can gather records of old creeks, ground types and general pics of the area.
I have the same idea, anyone know of a program or somthing off the net i could input gps off finds and have that overlay on a map to create a database? Could work for my fishing marks also :D

I just upload my marks onto google earth,

I always keep my oil against the ground as Im also looking for small sut gram bit and every mm/cm counts as them little bits all add up and I dont really want to leave gold behind.

A question regarding autotune on the GPX4500 ,if a may.

When doing the initial auto tune at the start of a session , i was taught to lift the GPX in the air, wave it around left to right at about chest level or a bit lower and stop where the most emi / noise is coming from , press the auto tune button and wait until the 3 beeps before doing the ground balance. Today i watched a video where a bloke says to lift it in the air , spin around 360 degrees and then put the coil on the ground and press the auto tune button . Is there a right and wrong way or are both ok ?

Thanks.

I think whatever works for you is the best way.
In saying that I do think that when there is noticeable EMI around then the coil needs to see some "air" to give the best result. When there's minimal EMI around then it's probably not so important.
My usual way to auto tune so I can get going quickly is find where the EMI is, lay the detector on the ground with coil bottom facing that direction, hit auto tune, finish adjusting my get up, go back to ute & get forgotten pick/scoop/water etc. All good :Y: :D

Hi Just Starting, if i might assist you a little -;

- you should hold your 4500 comfortably allowing the coil to become perpendicular (vertical) and approximately 20cm above the ground.

- maintaining his alignment, slowly turn a 360 circle listening for the loudest amount of noise being received from the nearby surroundings.

- go back to realign the coil facing this 'most noisy' direction, stand still and press the auto tune button and allow it to cycle through the frequency channels to provide you with the quietest frequency automatically.

- importantly, this now invites the investigation of the correct low or high frequency channel that you might 'manually' select for the very small, medium or large nuggets that you may desire to detect at a shallow or deep depth.

Now that's another study altogether. May I suggest you search the web page of detectormods.com where a tab page introduces you to the theory of frequencies according to audio frequency and rx gain modifications.

- there is a pictorial guide and instruction in the first three pointers by viewing the gpx5000 minelab manual available online. I believe the process has not amended concerning your gpx4500.

cheers, stevewilko

just starting said:
Thanks for the replies. I will have a look at the Detectormods website ,too. Thanks , SteveWilko.
The info on Detectormods is to suit the modification (variable frequency) that Woody does to GPX's.
Whatever works but standard machines don't have the same frequency range as the modded machines (whether these mods work or are better? Not my cup of tea).
Standard GPX auto/manual frequency range 35-36ms with adjustment interval 0.004ms 0-255
Modded GPX with variable frequency range 33-45ms with adjustment interval 0.048ms 0-255 which supposedly allows manual setting of frequency to suit gold size?

I usually auto - tune and don`t manually adjust it. The numbers are always high ( 175 + ) ,but a respected member here said not to worry about the numbers. I then do the ground balance and plonk a small nugget in the ground at about 8 " to test it and adjust the gain , etc to suit. I will try the tuning method of having the coil vertical just above the ground and turning around 360 degrees and facing the noise when doing the auto - tune ,like SteveWilko suggests and see if that makes any difference.
Thanks for your info , Mbasko.

I don't worry about the numbers either preferring to concentrate on making sure it's as quiet as possible if there's EMI around. Can take a few tunes some days. Always works better for me, when there's apparent EMI around, to make sure that the coil is seeing "air" not on the ground. Makes sense as EMI doesn't travel through the ground but air. Method or exact height from the ground & so on doesn't really seem too important as a lot of people have their own ways & differing heights etc.

A good idea I was shown years ago was if an auto tune gets it quiet but then later you start getting some EMI noise just try to adjust up & down a few notches to see if it settles down again. Sometimes works, sometimes you need to re-tune.

Thanks , Mbasko. I don`t get alot of emi where i go ,but occasionally get it from nearby machinery or motorbikes . I have tweeked the tuning manually 2 or 3 times and that has helped. I wanted to get out this weekend for another swing ,but the freezing and very windy conditions made it impossible. Hopefully will get out next weekend . I also saw a bloke who , when he detects a target with the 4500 , does a ground balance straight away before he starts to dig it out. Sounds like a smart idea.

Hi all, new to the Minelabs. Would like to know a good setting for the GPX5000 with a 12" evo. NSW central west fields. At the moment all I'm getting is interference and false signials and I dunno why.

Scallywags said:
Hi all, new to the Minelabs. Would like to know a good setting for the GPX5000 with a 12" evo. NSW central west fields. At the moment all I'm getting is interference and false signials and I dunno why.

Mate, I got these settings from Rohan, the bloke that manufactures the NF Evo Coils. I'm in the GT, but they worked really well for me & helped the machine punch deeper.

GPX 5000 Settings (Quick Ref)
Front End Cap:
Coil/RX - Mono (large coils use DD as this sharpens signal)
Ground Balance - Tracking (use fixed as you become more experienced)
Soil / Timings - Special
Search Mode - Deep
Threshold - Just steady

Rear Digital Settings:
Back Light - 2
Volume Limit - 10
G B / Type - General
Special timings - Fine Gold
Tune: Push Auto Tune Button
Mode - Deep
Motion - Very Slow Working Patch (but dont swing too fast/slow).
RX Gain -10
Audio Type - Normal
Audio Tone -38
Stabilizer - 8
Signal - 19
Target Volume - 9 (If using a External Speaker try 11 to 14 )
Response - Normal
Tracking - Slow
Iron Reject -OFF

Scallywags said:
Whereabouts are you (not exact location but near any sources of EMI etc.)
What settings are you using?
The ground can be quite noisy in places here after rain. You may have to lower the gain right down or maybe use the stock coil/s until things dry out?
IMO one lot of settings or another isn't really too helpful or universal especially until some basic info is known.

Latest posts