Drake, Tooloom, Tabulam Region NSW information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been out to Drake half a dozen times or so since the above post. Tried the same creek again once, very limited options, I don't think much is left by the old timers. Mostly going to Mcleods, top and bottom of the creek. The top is very similar to the above creek, but with more options. Not much there though, seems to be a case of test pan 20 likely spots, maybe get colour in 1 of them. Remember someone saying that in the 70s or 80s the landowners? dredged the top part of the creek. It's private property one side, state forest the other. Walking the creek it is quite obvious that stretches have been dredged. There's also evidence of recent highbanker activity too; a big hole dug out of the bank, and tailings piles. The water flow is nowhere near enough for a sluice, and if it was the hole would be underwater. Out of curiosity I test panned the back of the hole near the bottom, got nothing. Tested the side near the front, a few flakes. Repeated, same result. Lots of old timers diggings everywhere, from the creek banks up to maybe 20-30m above creek level.
The bottom of the creek is where everyone goes mostly. There are numerous access points, just park and the creek is right there. It gets hit pretty hard, and has been since 1857. There is lots of bedrock, lots of crevices. Unfortunately 99.9% of these have been cleaned out. But, what I'm finding is the gold is actually getting easier to find. A few years ago when I started going there, wouldn't really get much. After a 2 year break from the creek seem to do good every trip. Probably because I get bored easily. Once I find a good spot I'll do a few pans, then get bored and go looking for somewhere else. Most of the day is spent looking for new spots. Patterns do start to emerge on where the gold is :) .

are any of you guys still using this site and working the Drake area?
If so I am interested in doing some prospecting down that area but don't wont to go by myself (safety first) :goldpan: .

Want to try and get out there in the next couple of weeks around Drake, work and weather permitting. Should be some water in the creeks after the rain.

Has anyone heard anything about Ewingar being open? Have heard some conflicting reports here and there about people going there. The forestry website says that it is still closed, although it hasn't been updated since nov 26.

Hi all, been prospecting off and on for a couple of years and the Drake area is where I usually go. Im on my own most of the time but prefer with others so anyone wants to meet up for a swing and dig sometime ?

PK2372 said:
Hi all, just joined the group, first time posting, as I've been wishing to get into gold mining, following the steps of my grandfather.
I noticed this chat on McLeods Creek, Long Gully and Fools gully. This is an area I grew up in, spending every weekend down there with my grandfather when he was alive. There is a lot of gold to be had down there, hence when I travel home, I'm wanting to go to those areas my grandfather took me too.
If you've read Forgotten Country, particularly McLeods Creek/Timbarra, my grandfather was pictured in the book.
I spent many a weekend in Bill Koch's hut at McLeods Creek

hey Pk your old man isn't Terry P is he from Tooloom ?

i've met quite a few people from that region, i stay on terries property from time to time alot of big gold has come off that land in upper tooloom, also on new years eve at cobb and co nine mile campground met a couple who grew up there whose family wrote that book, the irony of me recommending they read forgotten country and them telling me that.

i hope you get back onto the country you're chasing theres nothing quite like finding country you were connected with as a youngen

not to be nasty but we have the gold lease of all this area as an active gold mine for the last 25 yrs. when i read your stories about the different creeks you have explored i find it interresting nothing has been found we have mapped the whole area that you are in and found its only hard rock not alluvial i can point you guys on the right path and the correct property owners at a small fee that they charge our mine is consistantly getting broken into by clowns that give you people a bad name our place has security cameras located all over the place and many have been caught buy this im not blaming detectors im blaming the bike riders etc that have no respect i have confronted many detector people and after talking to them i can see that they are gen. and im willing to give directions to the hot spots

carl solomon said:
not to be nasty but we have the gold lease of all this area as an active gold mine for the last 25 yrs. when i read your stories about the different creeks you have explored i find it interresting nothing has been found we have mapped the whole area that you are in and found its only hard rock not alluvial i can point you guys on the right path and the correct property owners at a small fee that they charge our mine is consistantly getting broken into by clowns that give you people a bad name our place has security cameras located all over the place and many have been caught buy this im not blaming detectors im blaming the bike riders etc that have no respect i have confronted many detector people and after talking to them i can see that they are gen. and im willing to give directions to the hot spots
Are you kool with a prospector that keeps to himself on your lease in the yabbra?

Hi Gragagan, just wondering if you ever got any more info on Ewingar SF. Its still closed in Forestry website.

We are heading down in May panning/sluicing detecting if anyone is interested in meeting up.

Hi Gragagan, just wondering if you ever got any more info on Ewingar SF. Its still closed in Forestry website.

We are heading down in May panning/sluicing detecting if anyone is interested in meeting up.

Hi Gragagan, I saw some of your posts on another thread on this site. Sounds like you have been doing the yards down that way.

I was wondering have you found anything more out about Ewingar SF? It says it's still close on the Forestry website.

Also there seems to be access to MacLeod creek either from the North West or from the south. Would you recommend one over the other?

Sounds like MacLeod has been pretty hammered but still keen to have a look.

We will be down in early May. Might say g'day if you are down that way then.

Cheers Don

G'day Don, yeah pretty sure Ewingar is still shut. Haven't had a look since last year because of all the rain; even if it was open the road (track) turns into a bog with rain. Still wanting to get out there soon hopefully. With Mcleods the south would probably be the go. Much easier access, more options etc. Both roads in are unsealed, a few small causeways, dunno if the top of the creek would be accessible (from the NW) after this rain though, track probably washed away. Better chance at finding gold from the south end anyway.

The other day I was looking at a real estate website, and apparently the land around the lower reaches of Mcleods Creek is for sale. It's part of a new 14 lot sub-division. Not looking forward to it.
Looking at it again now, I can see 5 properties for sale, between 30 and 100 hectares, $475000 or $525000 each. All the descriptions say they front Mcleods Creek. Creek access shouldn't change (hopefully) as it's crown land

My special spots at Drake 2.80g every day panning once u get onto to rich blue clay
1637973935_20200721_164640.jpg

hey Pk your old man isn't Terry P is he from Tooloom ?

i've met quite a few people from that region, i stay on terries property from time to time alot of big gold has come off that land in upper tooloom, also on new years eve at cobb and co nine mile campground met a couple who grew up there whose family wrote that book, the irony of me recommending they read forgotten country and them telling me that.

i hope you get back onto the country you're chasing theres nothing quite like finding country you were connected with as a youngen
Just logged back in after a year. My grandfather was Bill Koch himself, who owned McLeods Creek, and my grandfather on dads side was Mervyn Rhodes, who was pictured in forgotten country, under the Jonas Rhodes section of McLeods Creek

Latest posts