Biggenden area knowledge?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there all hope we are all well
Im looking to set out on a hunt around the biggenden area, do we have any one with area knowledge localities worth looking? Im just looking to go try to scratch a few cool specimens up for the collection. I have heard rumour there is a wide array of minerals to be found there but a rough idea of where to start would be much appreciated. Thanks all

Stony creek or rocky creek it's called. The mine used to drop truckloads of good stuff on the Northern side of the creek where you could park, it was a public fossicking area.
It's on the main rd going south from biggenden.... a fair bit past the turn off that would go in to the mine. They don't cater for visitors at the mine at all. But you could always phone the mine site office and tell them of your planned visit to the public fossicking area and ask if they wouldn't mind dropping a load down there for you to go through.
Now they have not put anything there for about 30 or so years that I know of, but if you tell them it could go a long way towards the prosperity of the township you never know what could happen. Nothing ever comes of nothing at all hey.
;) ;)

Thankyou for your reply, I am definitely happy to try to make contact with the mine and see if this is something they would consider doing again its a great way to bring tourists and business to the area.
From what I hear there used to be some amazing specimens pulled from that area. With the ever shrinking amount of places we can now legally go this would be great news for us

Good afternoon I have emailed the quarry and will await reply.

Email is as follows:
Greetings I trust you have had an enjoyable Easter break.
My name is Kyle and I am reaching out to you today as I have had some discussions with locals who advised me of a program that the pre-existing mine used to run, which brought a lot of travellers and visitors to the area injecting some money into local business . There used to be a public fossicking area just down the road from you at Rocky creek theres a public area with car park access you may be familiar with it?
The old mine used to dump a truckload out there once a month or so for the locals to have a dig through for mineral specimens quartz and the likes of, this used to bring visitors far and wide to biggenden which is great for the local economy.
As and Im sure with the nature of your operation that specific area is quite amazing with the variety of minerals contained in the ground there.
I know your a quarry and you dont really have dump piles like the mining operations do as you crush and screen for drainage and road base ect. And use most of all materials removed,
But is this something you would do?
Consider it a positive community engagement
Providing an opportunity for the the older generations to teach and educate the younger generation on geology and minerals through a positive and healthy outdoor activity getting them away from the TVs and games and teaching them the fun and addictive nature of finding a treasure with there own Hands a lost pastime connecting there young imaginations with the land and teaching hard work can equal reward instead of there heads beeing stuck Facebook or the likes beeing fed rubbish.
There are many benefits to the local community as well as the youth.
Would you please give some thought and consideration to my email today, even a load every second month it would make the world of difference to a lot of people.
Thankyou for taking the time to read my message and I look forward to hearing your response be it good or bad. I appreciate your time.

Regards Kyle Kelly

Sent from my iPhone

Latest posts