Equinox 800 and gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just bought one of these to try out. I intend to run it over some patches that have delivered up to 46 gram pieces in the past. Can anyone tell me if the 15" coil is worth getting for that purpose or just stick with the 11"? Thanks.

Keep in mind the 15" is 15x12" so it's depth is not much more than the 11", the benefit being ground coverage. The 11" and 15x12" are surprisingly good on small gold, although they can't complete with the 6" on tiny gold. They will get more depth on bigger gold if they detector is handling the soil well.

Just bought Equinox800 havent tried out on the gold fields but a member of our club brought in a variety of different sized flakes and nuggets to see how sensitive the standard coil that comes with it is. Well, very impressed, picked up a flake of gold .1g height about 10cm above. But the larger nuggets picked up no problems at about 20-25cm above in field2 mode and also gold 1 & 2 .
Can not wait to get to the gold fields later in the yr, to try it, provided no border closes again.

DizziFish said:
Just bought Equinox800 havent tried out on the gold fields but a member of our club brought in a variety of different sized flakes and nuggets to see how sensitive the standard coil that comes with it is. Well, very impressed, picked up a flake of gold .1g height about 10cm above. But the larger nuggets picked up no problems at about 20-25cm above in field2 mode and also gold 1 & 2 .
Can not wait to get to the gold fields later in the yr, to try it, provided no border closes again.

No need for a photo here though :p
1617092386_screenshot_2021-03-30-18-18-11.jpg

Unfortunately it's going to be really hard to replicate your test results in most Australian Goldfields, there's an awful lot of minerals out there that give off a very similar signal to gold and there's lots of room under an 11" coil for them to get in the way and mask the fairly weak signal that the bit of gold gives off. I'd go for the 6" coil if you're seriously interested in gold detecting. I've got both and the score is sitting on about 50-0 in favour of the 6" so far.

Dave79 said:
Unfortunately it's going to be really hard to replicate your test results in most Australian Goldfields, there's an awful lot of minerals out there that give off a very similar signal to gold and there's lots of room under an 11" coil for them to get in the way and mask the fairly weak signal that the bit of gold gives off. I'd go for the 6" coil if you're seriously interested in gold detecting. I've got both and the score is sitting on about 50-0 in favour of the 6" so far.

Thanx heaps Dave79 for the info, appreciate it very much. Didn't realise about the mineralisation. Will be buy a 6" before I go out to the gold fields. :Y:

Latest posts