Hi there. Be gentle as I'm popping my prospecting forum cherry

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi to everyone reading this.

I have been a little nervous and hesitant to write my first post, So here I go... I am happy to receive constructive feedback but please try to be kind lol

I'm from the Illawarra NSW, born and bred... I was a farm gal growing up. I love the outdoors, adore my animals am obsessed with rocks and rockhounding and I am turning 37 this year. For my upcoming birthday I bought myself a gift, it was what my recently deceased dad wanted to buy me before he died... A Gold Detector!!
Gold mining detecting hasn't been my thing thus far
And as I am a complete rookie to the detecting game and somehow I was convinced to buy the MINELAB GOLDMONSTER 1000 as my first. I had been eyeing off the Xterra Dual 705 but when it came to when i purchased the Xterra had been discontinued. My dad left me a place near Mogo and before I am forced to sell I would like to check it for possible gold... Is the goldmonster impractical for my lack of level of expertise and knowledge? I want to go look around parks and beaches also. is Goldmonster too much for something like that?

I mainly have a healthy obsession with rocks, gems and minerals and have been collecting all types and am very happy with my self found and acquired I am by no means an expert in this world, but my lack of expert knowledge is made up by my passion for looking for all the different varieties of rocks, gems and minerals that are obtainable within my travels in some parts of Aus. I know I have Amethyst, Garnet, Agates and Quartz varieties just to name a few that i have been lucky enough to stumble across
I was lucky enough to find a nice few varieties of rocks gems minerals etc I have quite a vast collection of unidentified rocks and some i think I have identified myself but would love to show and tell if anyone

My Post is a bit longer than intended.
Thanks for reading, look forward to getting to know some good likeminded peeps,

Holstar Out

Welcome RnDL , you had me right up to peeps
But Ill help you out anyway . :lol:
All the info you need is here within these pages so research research research. Check out utube for info on how to use your gold monster it is a capable machine on tiny bits of gold but for me its a very difficult machine to learn on . In My opinion . As it does not like mineralization but have a scratch around with it you never know your luck . To me the best and easiest machine is the Sdc it is a very sensitive accurate easy to learn machine more expensive but worth every cent . It is a pulse induction machine and better suited for gold . For beaches your best off getting advice from others as it is not my area but i would probably look at an equinox 800 . All the best in your prospecting endeavours . Booney :cool:

Welcome rocking n digging life
I know little about detecting, so can't really help with that.
Good luck though and hope you find some yellow shiny rocks soon enough :pickshovel: :goldpan: :goldnugget:

Hi ROCKING N DIGGING LIFE and a big welcome.

The gold monster is okay to find gold for sure. Maybe an Minelab SDC 2300 or better yet a 4500 5000 6000 Or a 7000 would be better depends on you budget.
The sdc is a switch on and go machine. the others take some time to learn.

As has been said there is more info here on PA than you will ever really need.
you need to research and know your ground as to where to look.

Please keep us up to speed on how you go.

Good luck.
:goldnugget: :goldpan: :pickshovel:

Welcome to the forum, I'm pretty new here myself and am seriously considering to buy the Minelab Equinox800 ( I gotta sell a few things first before i can buy it) The nox800 has a Gold function and has 2 gold levels Gold 1 & 2.
I'm told by my friend that has the Gold Monster that it's easy to learn and it also is good for other relics and treasures so either one mentioned would be ideal.

But if the property your Dad left you has a creek or river running through it and if it's a bit on the stoney side, maybe be a good idea to pan it as well.

You mentioned you already do a bit of fossiking for Gems and things so Gold fossiking will just take it to another level.

Think about learning how to affectively pan and sluice the waterways.

Good luck and have fun\

Cheers

brumby33

Thank you for the kind words and warm welcomes :) :beer:

Please excuse my lack of expertise and knowhow with this site (technology not my forte...nor is patience to learn it) but I will take the time to for this worthy site. I aim to be an active and respected community member so to speak and the quicker I can learn not to annoy yall and fill forums with stupid questions that have been asked and answered a million times or silly trivialities that would result in countless eyes rolling and sighing at yet another moron :N:
The point of this ramble is to say, I wanted to like each of your responses but alas, I have no idea where to do it nor how, nor even if I have the capability with basic account..??!! So I will endeavour to educate and understand the site so as not to annoy, If you can please bare with me for now, I am a quick learner and will sort this all out, Im sure. :perfect:

In saying the above, I really should have already educated myself on this and alike but bugger me I was just too darn excited at the prospect ? of becoming part of this sweet little :gemstone: :goldnugget: :goldpan: community.

:pickshovel: :heart:

Sounds like Mogo was hit hard with the Bush Fire Season last year.
That in it`s self could be an advantage detecting as the vegetation would not be obstructing so much.
I`m not shore how the charcoal would effect a MINELAB GOLDMONSTER 1000 others on P/A here would have a better idea on that note.
Just had a scout on Google on Mogo Gold sounds like you may well possibly get lucky there.
It as they say Gold is where you find it.
Play around with the P/A search bar for a while and check out Goldierocks Geo posts for indications where you may get successful.
Nice Intro Rocking & Digging. :Y:

Bush said:
I`m not shore how the charcoal would effect a MINELAB GOLDMONSTER 1000 others on P/A here would have a better idea on that note.
Just had a scout on Google on Mogo Gold sounds like you may well possibly get lucky there.
It as they say Gold is where you find it.
Play around with the P/A search bar for a while and check out Goldierocks Geo posts for indications where you may get successful.
Nice Intro Rocking & Digging. :Y:

The charcoal affects even my GPX5000. You get the question like woo woo sound of a potential target, but after a couple of scrapes of the ground you figure out it was nothing at all.

brumby33 said:
Welcome to the forum, I'm pretty new here myself and am seriously considering to buy the Minelab Equinox800 ( I gotta sell a few things first before i can buy it) The nox800 has a Gold function and has 2 gold levels Gold 1 & 2.
I'm told by my friend that has the Gold Monster that it's easy to learn and it also is good for other relics and treasures so either one mentioned would be ideal.

But if the property your Dad left you has a creek or river running through it and if it's a bit on the stoney side, maybe be a good idea to pan it as well.

You mentioned you already do a bit of fossiking for Gems and things so Gold fossiking will just take it to another level.

Think about learning how to affectively pan and sluice the waterways.

Good luck and have fun\

Cheers

brumby33

Thanks heaps Brumby
Much appreciated, it does have a creek so will do that for sure.
Luckily enough although the fires did indeed affect the property, the main creek bed and the dirt surrounding the creek wasnt affected too bad.

Cheers to all, Once I get down there soon. I shall keep updating and probably asking opinions etc

Thanks and goodnight to all
Rock On :pickshovel:

Hi rocking and digging life,

Not sure if anyone has mentioned to you yet. The minelab you have can be a great help when crevicing in creeks.

In that case you are not looking just got hold but any heavy material, be it ironstone, lead it metal. Gold will fall with that material. If you get a hit dig it, if you don't, move on.

It's amazing how much more ground you can cover this way.

Gold luck Don

Hey my dusty comrades, :Y:
Hope everyone is rocking life in every or any way one can! Even if it's not been the greatest time for some of you... We all ROCK at some point!!
Whether its rocking life in general, rocking to a beat, rocking proverbial boats, rocking babies to sleep, GEEZ even the batshit crazies rock themselves to sleep! (insert drumset emoji) :rolleyes:

Anyway, probably the least interesting news... that I have been M.I.A for a lil while
My computer had a tiz for a tad and then life got all busy and in the way, henceforth... nothing picked nothing gained, nothing posted etc

On the actual topic of GOLD DETECTING with my GOLDMONSTER
NIL... :awful:
Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to get out on the property for anything but ongoing bushfire recovery. Things were looking up as after getting in there, clearing and some excavating etc and being able to survey the property in more detail it looks as though the creek area hasn't been badly affected by fire and charcoal as the majority of the fire was partially contained mostly affecting the perimeter fencing thankfully and amazingly **
There is still a lot of work to do before I can start to detect unhindered but it is coming, sorry about the slow burn, I'll get there... To start with I have found a buddy with a Vanquish, willing to take me out and show me the very basics etc so its not just a bunch of unidentifiable noise to these novices ears.

I have more interesting posts to come and posts and topics to read!
In my future posts I'll be talking of my finds and collections, no doubt asking Q's and sharing my pics and adventures with everyone who is interested and willing, but will do it in the correct manner of posting topics where they should be ... So keep an eye out for my future ramblings lol
This be all from me for now. Not an exciting post by any means, just more of a "Hey" and to confirm "I'm in it for the long haul"
Also cheers to Straddie John for the tip

Thanks for reading

ROCK ON :pickshovel: :goldpan: :goldnugget: :gemstone:

Just a little side note to add regarding the **above... a little sombre but I thought it necessary...
**Thanks to the valiant effort of my dear late dad's amazing neighbour to whom I am eternally grateful in particular with saving my dad's home from the devastating and horrific Mogo fires, I cannot convey the right words to express my gratitude nor could my actions ever mimic to repay . Along with the genuine friendship you provided him over the years. I am and will be eternally grateful for you being such a good friend to my dad, taken too early :brokenh: but now may he Rest in Peace, and a lot of that is due to You Greg. Thank you** :heart:

Latest posts